Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Advice

Options
  • 26-12-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I drive a VW Golf 1.9TDi with 17" alloys. My current tyres are Pirelli P6000 but I need 2 new front tyres. The P6000's had good enough grip in the wet weather but they go bald a bit too fast for me and they also create a lot of road noise. Anybody have any recommendations on other tyre types? Good grip, lower road noise and longer lasting...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Wizard, I just got myself a set of Toyo T1-R's from eiretyres. They cost me €99 each after I got a local tyre fitter to fit them after they got delivered. (€84 for tyre & €15 for fitting/balancing/disposal of old tyre) I got 205/55/16

I had never heard of them before but they came highly recommended for a lot of sources. They have excellent wet & dry weather grip and they wear well and also are very quiet on the motorway. So far the best tyre I have ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ill stand by the Toyo Proxes T1-R's as well. Had them and thought they were great. I also found the Bridgestone Potenza RE720' were impressive.

Check out http://www.1010tires.com/tires.asp for more opinions on a wider blast of tires. Note, that the scores of tires in the link above are subjective based on customers opinions, not statistical test data etc..

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Ive been driving on Continal tyres for the last 6 year on company cars , both verygood grip in wet & dry and also goodf wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I was recommended by a number of Golf Drivers to get Continental Conti Sport tyres. Due to getting a good deal though I went with Bridgestone Potenzas on my Golf recently. I have noticed increased road noise over the stock Dunlops that were on previously. But I have also gone from 15" to 18"

I have Conti Sports on the other car and wish I had heard of the Toyo's before I bought them. They have a lot of road noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

I have Continental Conti Sport contact 2 on my cars for over 6 years and love them, never had any road noise

205/55/r 16

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

18" Continental Conti Sport Contact all round here too. Excellent tyres, but very expensive. RRP of about €330 a corner for the 255/45 ZR 18. I'd be interested to hear experience of cheaper alternatives that offer high performance. I've heard some good reviews of Goodyear Eagle - anybody want to back that up?

unkel wrote:
    18" Continental Conti Sport Contact all round here too. Excellent tyres, but very expensive. RRP of about €330 a corner for the 255/45 ZR 18. I'd be interested to hear experience of cheaper alternatives that offer high performance. I've heard some good reviews of Goodyear Eagle - anybody want to back that up?
    Unkel, go for the Toyo T1-R's for the BM. Excellent tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Just about to order the Toyo T1-R's from eiretyres.com. Bad time of the year for fast delivery time though. Thanks for the advice lads.

Just about to order the Toyo T1-R's from eiretyres.com. Bad time of the year for fast delivery time though. Thanks for the advice lads.
    Mine came in 10 days...

I noticed about a week or 2 before I ordered mine, they were selling for €94 on eiretyres and the day I ordered them they were €84 and they are now gone back up to €94. It looks like they do specials every now & again. Worth waiting if you can a week or 2 and see if the price fluctuates

Let us know what you think of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unkel wrote:
    I've heard some good reviews of Goodyear Eagle - anybody want to back that up?
    I'm after getting 50k out of a set of Goodyear NCT's (225/55/16) on a RWD. Grip was adequate for my style of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Unkel, go for the Toyo T1-R's for the BM. Excellent tyre

I'll certainly consider it. 18" T1-R's and Eagles are both around €200 on eiretyres compared to €240 for Continentals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I have Bridgestone Er300 225/45/17 on my A3 1.8T.

They are a great tyre and well suited to Irish roads and weather. Low road noise and great grip in wet and dry conditions. Good asymmetrical tyres in my opinion balance characteristics well to suit conditions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

www.blackcircles.com is a good site

My wife's Subaru has Eagle F1's - It is probably a combination of both the car's AWD system, and the Good Year tyres, but together they inspire total confidence. Never had any issues, felt nothing but surefooted, and in all conditions. They are pretty durable too.

The Toyo's have been recommended by many a Scooby driver in the UK (Top value for money), but when a recent change was required, we had no reason to alter things, so stuck with what we knew, very happy with same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Had Goodyear Eagle Venturas... quiet enough, good grip in the wet and after 30k miles still had more than 50% tread.

Have NCT5s now (on car when bought), expecting them to last a while too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Unkel was asking about the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS3s. I had them. The best tire Ive had bar none for grip, but I found them to have a pretty short life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Unkel was asking about the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS3s. I had them. The best tire Ive had bar none for grip, but I found them to have a pretty short life.
    There's been some other Goodyears thrown about here but the Eagle F1 Ds3s are just superb. Best wet weather tyre I've ever had a skip in.

Just done my annual round xmas trip to Cork on the Toyos. They were very comfortable on the main road and the back roads to Kinsale. The new Fermoy bypass is great also

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Never got a chance to update till now. Found eiretyres to be very good. Tyres were delivered in 7 days by interlink express. Got the local garage to fit them for 20 euro. I have to say that the Toyo T1-R's are great. Great grip and the road noise is reduced, just hope they last a bit longer than the pirelli...
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Advertisement