Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended .ie hosting service?

Options
  • 26-12-2006 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for someone to provide a .ie domain and hosting service. Anyone recommend a cheap and reliable company?

I've used webhost.ie before, but they aren't returning calls when I try...

I generally use Direct Nic in the states for general .com's but a client is looking for a .ie

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

www.blacknight.ie - very reliable and excellent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I've heard there's a price reduction to .ie's in January - any truth in this?

louie wrote:
    www.blacknight.ie - very reliable and excellent prices.

Thanks - I'll have a look!

yes is true.
    There is a tread about it on this forum.
    blacknight wrote:
    They emailed resellers to announce the price cut officially on the 14th, which was when I blogged about it:
    http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives...op-in-january/

They released a press release about it today which has been picked up by some of the media:
    http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9860690.html

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1221/IEDR.html

louie wrote:
    yes is true.
    There is a tread about it on this forum.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

eLive in Limerick are great - highly recommended.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Digiweb have some decent prices for .ie domains at the moment.

Here's what I've found for a 1 year term with .ie domain

Blacknight - €45
    eLive (limerick) - €55
    Digiweb - €29

I think we've a clear winner!

Thanks for the input guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just be aware that Digiweb don't seem to reply to pre-sales questions! Lets Host and Blacknight both did (and promptly).

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Don't just go on price - it's after sales support and what you get for your money - I would not recommend Digiweb for hosting - they had lots of problems with their servers earlier this year and check if MySQL (if you're looking for that) is run on the same server - I had a domain on one server with the MySQL database on another and this was always causing problems. For value for money I would go with Blacknight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

sticker wrote:
    Here's what I've found for a 1 year term with .ie domain

Blacknight - €45
    eLive (limerick) - €55
    Digiweb - €29

Two quick observations:

1) Odd that you didn't feel the need to give the location of Blacknight and Digiweb in order to give a full comparision ;)

2) Aside from what was already said re the level of support, etc, there's also the question of what you get for your money - email accounts/PHP/UNIX vs Windows hosting/MySQL/domain & email forwarding etc, etc. From the prices you've listed, they relate solely to registering the domain, with no hosting or domain forwarding, so you've got to look at the hosting package or forwarding that you need and then do the total comparison; otherwise, it's a bit like asking what the garage charges you to get your number plate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Liam Byrne wrote:

1) Odd that you didn't feel the need to give the location of Blacknight and Digiweb in order to give a full comparision ;)

^ What do you mean here? I have read it back a few times but it still doesn't make sense to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

^ What do you mean here? I have read it back a few times but it still doesn't make sense to me.
    After a few reads I noticed that eLive has "limerick" in brackets after it.

I guess Liam only noticed because he's from Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I use http://www.letshost.ie and i've never had any problems with them, they are very helpful!

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Two quick observations:

2) Aside from what was already said re the level of support, etc, there's also the question of what you get for your money - email accounts/PHP/UNIX vs Windows hosting/MySQL/domain & email forwarding etc, etc. From the prices you've listed, they relate solely to registering the domain, with no hosting or domain forwarding, so you've got to look at the hosting package or forwarding that you need and then do the total comparison; otherwise, it's a bit like asking what the garage charges you to get your number plate ;)

All good points - fair enough

Ziycon wrote:
    I use http://www.letshost.ie and i've never had any problems with them, they are very helpful!

Same. Always found them quick to reply and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'll double that. www.blacknight.ie

cgarvey wrote:
    Just be aware that Digiweb don't seem to reply to pre-sales questions! Lets Host and Blacknight both did (and promptly).

Didiweb actually phoned me this morning... so I've no complaints with their pre-sales service so far.

• Advertisement

louie wrote:
    I'll double that. www.blacknight.ie

I've received quotes for small business starter packs from both. Including .ie domain and generous hosting packages:

Didweb: €120pa - not sure if vat included (quoted over the phone)
    Blacknight: €80pa - ex vat (by email)

I think the price and all your suggestions will get Blacknight the job...

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I treble that - www.blacknight.ie
    Gosh wrote:
    Don't just go on price - it's after sales support and what you get for your money - I would not recommend Digiweb for hosting - they had lots of problems with their servers earlier this year and check if MySQL (if you're looking for that) is run on the same server - I had a domain on one server with the MySQL database on another and this was always causing problems. For value for money I would go with Blacknight.

As a matter of interest - are you saying the MySQL should be on the same server or a separate server to your domain?

Went with Blacknight yesterday... Thanks for the help all.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

DJB wrote:
    As a matter of interest - are you saying the MySQL should be on the same server or a separate server to your domain?

I'm not saying either - the setup (AFAIK) was that MYSQL for all of their hosted sites was on one server which had to be rebuilt a number of times and eventually replaced.

Advertisement