Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to follow latest fashion without spending a lot

• 26-12-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Anybody got any tips on looking/dressing fashionable for special occasions without spending a lot of money?

Living on a very tight budget, say $100.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

One Word: Pennys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

yeah Penneys are great. Also keep an eye out in the likes of A-Wear and Oasis for the end of sale items that are reduced to a fiver. I've gotten some great stuff in there. Got a really nice top for 1 euro in A-Wear the other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Not to take over the thread, but how do you guys know whats in fashion without spending loads on magazine subscriptions? Do you just watch what everyone else is wearing or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Not to take over the thread, but how do you guys know whats in fashion without spending loads on magazine subscriptions? Do you just watch what everyone else is wearing or what?

Hehehe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

That's pretty much exactly what I do.. I just see what I like and pretty much try copy it. I think accessories are the key, they can make big difference to an outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I set fashions.

The skinny jeans look - AnonoBoy started that and has moved past.

If you want to know what's going to be fashionable in 6 months time then just watch me strutting down The Strip on a weekend evening.

[edit] But seriously - wear what you like and what *you* think makes you look good. Following fashion blindly is why so many girls and guys walk around looking like eejits. They're wearing things because they're fashionable not because they suit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 delphie rex

iguana wrote:
    ebay

yes ebay is good. I have got a few branded clothes and accessories for bargain prices from ebay but you have to settle for second-hand or third hand goods though.

Another big problem is that it can get pretty stressful when the goods delivered aren't what you have expected.

yeah Penneys are great. Also keep an eye out in the likes of A-Wear and Oasis for the end of sale items that are reduced to a fiver. I've gotten some great stuff in there. Got a really nice top for 1 euro in A-Wear the other week.

sounds great. may just check out some of their stuff soon.

Wez wrote:
    That's pretty much exactly what I do.. I just see what I like and pretty much try copy it. I think accessories are the key, they can make big difference to an outfit.

Copying wholesale from fashion mags can get so very expensive at times. Any recommedations of cheap accessories to go with an evening dress?

• Advertisement

Copying wholesale from fashion mags can get so very expensive at times. Any recommedations of cheap accessories to go with an evening dress?

Well, I'm a guy, so I'm not exactly sure of what advice to give for a girl..

I normally pick the accessories depending on the colour and then depending on the colour combinations (contrasting/harmonic) decide what they'd go as (formal/casual)

To figure out what colours go with which, I use the colour wheel (I've left a good, basic example at the bottom of this post). I tend to just use a primary colour with a secondary, they're always pleasing on the eye. The way it works is to choose colours opposite each other e.g. red + green

The key is to use 2, maximum 3 colours in an outfit. Any more can look ununified and strange. The third colour tend to be white or black, depending on the theme.

colorwheel.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wez wrote:
    Well, I'm a guy, so I'm not exactly sure of what advice to give for a girl..

I normally pick the accessories depending on the colour and then depending on the colour combinations (contrasting/harmonic) decide what they'd go as (formal/casual)

To figure out what colours go with which, I use the colour wheel (I've left a good, basic example at the bottom of this post). I tend to just use a primary colour with a secondary, they're always pleasing on the eye.

The key is to use 2, maximum 3 colours in an outfit. Any more can look ununified and strange. The third colour tend to be white or black, depending on the theme.

colorwheel.gif

Holy shít, if I wore any two of those colours I'd look like something off Sesame Street! Am I the only one that likes black, grey, navy, beige, brown, and maybe the odd bit of red or blue? I think I can safely say I have no yellow or purple clothes anyway?

Haha, well that's kinda a small section of use of colours.. Tones and saturations are another category, black + grey/navy + baby blue etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wez wrote:
    black + grey/navy + baby blue etc.

Now you're talking. :)

Advertisement