Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major €17m revamp for Plunkett Station

• 26-12-2006 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story.asp?j=24223
    From Waterford News and Star

Friday, December 22, 2006
    Major €17m revamp for Plunkett Station
    By Marion O’Mara

A MAJOR redevelopment is on the cards for Waterford’s Plunkett Station following confirmation that Iarnród Éireann is set to submit an application for planning permission for the €17m project tomorrow (Thursday).

Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen is understood to have been in regular contact with Iarnród Éireann in respect of their plans for Waterford and he has been very keen to secure the major infrastructural development from where services are to be greatly expanded.

The proposed work will include an expansion to the main customer concourse area, including new ticket office and toilets.

It is also proposed to upgrade the customer waiting area and new retail units and to improve the interchange with buses and taxis.

An Iarnród Éireann spokesman said that new through-traffic oneway system, with new station entrance and exit routes is planned to address the difficult access at Rice Bridge roundabout.

There will be a Mezzanine level with staff facilities, 3-floor multistorey car park with 340 parking spaces.

The need for an improved station is heightened, said the spokesman, by planned expansion in services to and from Waterford.

A new fleet of trains is set to operate an expanded Waterford-Dublin service by 2008, with trains planned every two hours in each direction all day.

Iarnród Éireann anticipate that if planning permission application proceeds smoothly, that work could commence on the redevelopment as early as summer 2007, for a period of approximately 18 months.

What the betting there will be objections from a certain Brendan McCann?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As the current crop of sheds are worth demolition anyway I can't see on what grounds he'd have a moan! That site is pretty 'tight' so I'll look fowards to the plans.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

MAn these changes cant come fast enough. That stations/Line service is dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MAn these changes cant come fast enough. That stations/Line service is dire

Hear hear.

I don't know if it was a windup, but someone was saying recently that they were trying to make the Railway station a listed building! Now whatever about the red brick part.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If anything it would be the signal box that would be listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If anything it would be the signal box that would be listed.
    Yes indeed. It is the only box of its kind in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Freddie59 wrote:
    Hear hear.

I don't know if it was a windup, but someone was saying recently that they were trying to make the Railway station a listed building! Now whatever about the red brick part.................
    Think that was me, and I'm not sure where I heard it. It may have been just another of the 'voices' in the old head putting in overtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't mean to deviate from the thread title, but it's not often that there's a thread about the other side of the bridge and I was just wondering what's the story with the Jurys' Hotel? When's it ever going to be demolished?

Advertisement