Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL question

Options
  • 26-12-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Im on NTL 6 broadband with the standard modem. For no reason, It stopped working a week ago and im having no luck with NTL customer support.

Basically, the send light is flashing and the power/pc lights are on. All the other lights are off. I have changed nothing in regards to options on the modem or network options on the pc.

Any idea whats wrong/ how to fix it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Most likely it is nothing that you can do yourself. Many 'NTL' customers are having problems sadly and NTL in their new incarnation seem to about the most uncustomer friendly company anywhere. Plenty of threads around on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What area you in ? There's a few different threads about people in different areas having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im in Dublin 11. I finally got a call back from NTL technical support and they say its a problem with the line and nothing I can fix myself. When I asked if they could get soemone out asap because I need the internet for work they told me it would be minimum 3 weeks before they could get anyone out!

THREE WEEKS! That means a total of over four weeks downtime.

What are my options ? If I ring them up and tell them that I want to cancel my broadband and get it with someone else do you think it may speed them up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Tusky wrote:
    Im in Dublin 11. I finally got a call back from NTL technical support and they say its a problem with the line and nothing I can fix myself. When I asked if they could get soemone out asap because I need the internet for work they told me it would be minimum 3 weeks before they could get anyone out!

What are my options ? If I ring them up and tell them that I want to cancel my broadband and get it with someone else do you think it may speed them up ?

99.9% chance no it wont

working in telecommunications every random joe who phones up with a problem is because they "need it for work" "work from home" "blah blah work".. On a guess id say its lucky if 1-2/10 actually "need" it for work.. even then im doubtful

Under your account its marked with a big "residential" customer, or the like.. so by telling said person this on the phone, you are telling them something they have heard no doubt 20+ times already on the phone that day.

Some people are under an illusion that because you say you need it for work that they are suddenly going to start pressing some magic buttons.

NTL has been pap for me for ages, im starting to lose faith in them altogether, I got a call back from there tech people regarding my BB speed only to be told that a few people i was sharing my line with contention ratio wise were downloading upwards of 120-150gb per month and it was slowing my speeds dramatically, advised that they were cutting people off that were going dramatically over caps. (i was tempted to ask if they got a warning first but its not my business and in honesty i just want the 6meg service i offered)

I then asked why i should pay for a service that im not receiving and was told they would "look into it and get back to me".. so far ive had in that time a bill come in with no changes.. and most calls leave you on hold for 10mins then dump you to a phoneline disconnected tone so i wonder why i continue to waste my time with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tusky wrote:

A poster in another 'NTL are wonderful' thread apparently obtained unprecedented attention from a supervisor when he mentioned the small claims court - might be worth a try.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement