Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams £ to € conversion rates

Options
  • 26-12-2006 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Shopped in Debenhams at The Square in Tallaght last week.

Debenhams had converted to €8 an article clearly marked £5 sterling. Surely a more accurate conversion would be €7.50. Are prices being rounded up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

More than likely, as it costs more to have items shipped to Ireland, and company Insurance here is far more expensive than it is in the UK. This is normal, and not a consumer issue. We've had threads on here before where people complain about Lidl charging 40 Euro more here, than the UK for a TV ... shipping people, shipping and insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

VAT is higher here too!

Nightwish wrote:
    VAT is higher here too!

Forgot about that one, you're dead right. 21% versus 17.5%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

They are quite entitled to sell the product at any price they choose, regardless of what price is used in the UK. If the Euro price doesn't offer good value, don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

RainyDay wrote:
    They are quite entitled to sell the product at any price they choose, regardless of what price is used in the UK. If the Euro price doesn't offer good value, don't buy it.

Well, that's a really stupid argument! No need for any consumer reaction to anyone being ripped off anywhere. They are quite entitled to charge what they like whenever they like and if you don't like it don't buy it. Well that's all right then! The whole consumer movement can all just go home! The game is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Zenith74 wrote:
    Shopped in Debenhams at The Square in Tallaght last week.

Debenhams had converted to €8 an article clearly marked £5 sterling. Surely a more accurate conversion would be €7.50. Are prices being rounded up?

I can beat that... I bough a Tie in dunnes (blackpool) Sunday.

Stg £3
    Euro €6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not to mention the average Irish person has far more money to play with than a British person. Much MUCH higher GDP here! We have more money and can afford to pay more... so we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Ernest wrote:
    Well, that's a really stupid argument! No need for any consumer reaction to anyone being ripped off anywhere. They are quite entitled to charge what they like whenever they like and if you don't like it don't buy it. Well that's all right then! The whole consumer movement can all just go home! The game is over!

What is stupid about it? They are entitled to sell at whatever price they like. If you don't feel it is good value don't buy it and go elsewhere. It is called shopping around and is pretty much the only weapon we, as consumers, have.

What would you suggest?

MrP

Ernest wrote:

I'm PMSL laughing at your post. You do realise there is more than one Record Store in any town, more than one Supermarket, and more than one Pub, right? Because we all do charge different prices!

And jesus people, whining that something costs a Euro more here than the UK is not that big a deal. We have larger overheads here, and as previously mentioned, additional shipping and warehousing costs to Ireland.

Get over it! Come back to me with something that's 200 Euro more than the UK and I'll raise an eyebrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As far as I'm concerned the british stores can charge whatever they like. The sooner we all wake up and take our business elsewhere the better.

For example, Debenhams and their ilk are a ripoff IMHO. Arnotts, Clery's and even Brown Thomas and BT2 are often cheaper on specific brands - if you take the time to go and look. House of Fraser seem reasonable enough but I haven't bought enough there to make a concrete statement on it. Some of the smaller clothes stores like Best's menswear are definitely worth a look.

Same thing with music - HMV and all the others are really pulling the wool over everyone. CD Wow, Amazon etc are the only way to go, and I'm annoyed i've only woken up to that fact recently.

Story's the same with electrical goods. When I went to buy an LCD monitor back when flatscreens were new, PC World were less interested in selling me the monitor than in some lame insurance policy. On the other hand when I went to Peat's in parnell street to buy a pretty serious sound system, I ended up with a no-insurance reliable system that cheerfully knocks the socks off anything Dixon's had to offer.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned the british stores can charge whatever they like. The sooner we all wake up and take our business elsewhere the better.

It's the British stores who have forced Irish Retailers to cut their exorbitant margins! Or is it the fact that they're 'British' has you irked?
    Red Alert wrote:
    For example, Debenhams and their ilk are a ripoff IMHO. Arnotts, Clery's and even Brown Thomas and BT2 are often cheaper on specific brands - if you take the time to go and look.

You're kidding right? BT & BT2 are one of the most expensive shops in the World ... go to NYC, and compare prices for the same articles there, and at home in BTs.
    Red Alert wrote:
    Same thing with music - HMV and all the others are really pulling the wool over everyone. CD Wow, Amazon etc are the only way to go, and I'm annoyed i've only woken up to that fact recently.

You absolutely cannot compare a Bricks and Mortar Store to an Online Warehouse when doing a fair price comparisson. Like for like mate!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fairness a bricks and mortar job is more relevant when it comes to clothes than cd's?

You've lost me Red Alert. You were comparing the price of CD's to an online retailer, so I questioned that, and you were stating that BT was charging fair prices for quality clothers - and I pointed out that for the same clothing, it would be far cheaper to go to the states to other 'real' shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ernest wrote:
    The most powerful action any consumer can take is to go elsewhere. Retail businesses pay a lot more attention to their sales figures than to any 'consumer movement'. There is no rep-off involved - they are open & accurate about their pricing. If you don't like their pricing, go elsewhere.

jhegarty wrote:
    I can beat that... I bough a Tie in dunnes (blackpool) Sunday.
    Stg £3
    Euro €6

I bought a Big Mac Meal in Thailand for 80 cent. It was 6.40 here. Who do I eMail? Who do I complain to? :D Different structures for different countries I guess.

Advertisement