Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows activation prob

• 26-12-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok reinstalled windows and used a xp home key from my laptop on my pc.when it comes up 25days to activate i click on it and its says this key has been use more then once and re enter a new 1.

ok i tought i could use my windows key as much as i wanted.since its not running on my laptop why cant i use it on my pc any ideas .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

oem keys never really activate over the internet... you are not meant to use the oem key from the laptop on another pc... you could ring microsoft and say you reinstalled on the laptop and they would ask you lots of questions about where it was bought etc... im not sure how legal that would be though so i wouldnt recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll have to get a new copy, the OEM installation is only meant to be used with the system it is bundled with afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Id say the OEM installation is only for meant for what it was bundled with too, but you may as well try to ring Microsoft activation ( freefone: 1800 930 031 ) and chance it, have the installation ID ready, if the automated part doesnt give you a key you will be put through to someone, you could just tell them that you have rebuilt windows, they are normally ok with giving you a key then ( over the phone )..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

awhir wrote:
    ok i tought i could use my windows key as much as i wanted.since its not running on my laptop why cant i use it on my pc any ideas .
    The windows XP licence only allows you to use your copy of windows on one PC*.

If you wish to use it on your PC, you'll have to get a new key.

* Actually, this is simplifying it a bit. There are three types of key:
    1. OEM - This is windows which comes bundled with your computer. This key may only be used on the computer it was supplied with, and cannot be transferred.
    2. Retail - This is bought on its own. This key can be used on any computer to install windows. However, you may only use a retail key on one computer at a time. So you cannot use one retail key on multiple computers.
    3. Corporate - This is a single key which can be used on multiple computers. However, each installed copy of windows must be paid for. A single key is used to simplify the install/upgrade process for businesses who may have hundreds of/or thousands of PCs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

awhir wrote:
    Only if it's a non-upgrade retail version, or an upgrade version that was used on a non-OEM copy of windows, and you have uninstalled it from the original PC.

All OEM copies are locked to the original machine, any upgrade of an OEM makes the upgrade an OEM*. You can't sell the OEM license separate from the machine etc.

* except if you enroll it in a volume agreement in the first 90 days - only applied to corporate customers and wasn't that cheap.

You don't own the software, you just have a license to use it for as long as you obey the license agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement