Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafton Street or Henry Street

Options
  • 26-12-2006 5:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Were to you prefer to do your shopping in the City Grafton Street or Henry Street...?

And why.

Were to you prefer to do your shopping...? 33 votes

Grafton Street
    0%
    Henry Street
    100%
    irishguyPepe LeFritsOur man in HavanaWintersStargal[Deleted User]Attractive NunPythia_blank_CathyMoranvibrantPisteRb[Deleted User]DonkeyStyle \o/RedorDeadJonny ArsonBlutKinetic^pinkdaisy 33 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Henry Street. The why? I'm a Northsider so growing up this is the shopping are you'd hit first. So there's a bit of "because I always have" element to it.

Now though I live in Smithfield so it's still the nearest. It contains most of the shops that are available on Grafton Street that I'd use (or used to use more so before I got my stuff online/abroad).

Thirdly I found that shops on Grafton Street tendied to be somewhat (at least previously) tending towards those willing to spend more - Brown Thomas, BT2, numerous jewellers, poncy health shops. Wasn't willing to spend that sort of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Henry Street, for pretty much the same reason as ixoy. It's easier to get to from my house and has pretty much the same shops. It also has more shopping center type places if it does happen to rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

Henry street coz its closer to my bus stop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Henry Street
    Grafton Street purely because I am a southsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

southsider here but i prefer the better range of shops on henry street. grafton st duznt really have anything for me, in terms of xmas shoppin. i shop there when its not xmas like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Henry Street
    Grafton St., again for accessibility and practical reasons. Don't find much of a difference in terms of what's available to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

I prefer Henry St (I'm a southsider). There's more on offer in the vicinity (Roches/Debenhams, Arnotts, Jervis, Clery's etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Always tend to go to both. Don't see much of a difference in both to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

No contest, Henry Street. It has Arnotts. Need I say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Grafton Street is in bits these days. Are there any plans in the near future to do it up? It's a long time since it was last repaved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So this is essentially a 'what side of the river do you shop on'?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Henry Street. Has the same shops as Grafton Street and also an Argos and GadgetShop(name changed now though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I tend to frequent both, but, of late, I'm buying more on Henry Street, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Henry Street
    Grafton Street.
    Of course I live 5 mins away from Dundrum, so I go there probably more than Grafton and Henry together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Henry Street. Loads more shops these days and if I want to see a film after I can just walk to the UGC. Also I love Arnotts and the new Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Henry Street for me two as it's about a 5 minute walk from where I work/live. Same range of shops for me as Grafton Street and the cinema is only a 3 minute walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like Pythia, I live near Dundrum ,so that's where I do the majority of my shopping, but when I head to town, I go to Henry Street and Parnell Street.

Grafton street is over-priced and crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Henry Street
    I tend to shop on both as they each have something different to offer. Henry st. has a general better range of shops but, Grafton st. is good if youre looking for something a bit extra, plus its got great choice for music with Tower Records and the big HMV.

Howvever, on a side point, I much prefer to shop on Grafton st. particularly around christmas. Henry st. at christmas is a nightmare to walk through with all those stalls that sell tat clogging up space. Also, generally Henry st. is lined with Jacinta's screamin "chungfella" and Anto's going "woteralookinat mista". By the way I am a northsider before anyone starst screaming southside snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Henry Street, cos i'm a poor northsider.
    Plus pretty much everything i need is on the northside so theres not much to wander over for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The only thing Grafton street wins on IMO is the eye candy,them south side chicks are HoT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Another southsider that prefers Henry Street, or Henry Street and Mary Street, as we should really refer to that whole section. More shops and then you have the likes of the Jervis Centre and Ilac centre close at hand too. Better value to be had in that area also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

henry street for me, for the same reasons as above, better range of shops and better value, and people actually shop in the area not window shop like around the grafton street area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Henry Street all the way. Has the Jervis with Debenhams, Jean Scene, Top Man, and a few more; has Arnotts, Roches and all them. The only thing Grafton has going for it is TX Maxx and HMV, but I buy all my CDs online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

For some reason I view Henry Street as being the 'New Age' commercial area and Grafton street as the 'Old Age'. They are both great streets though. You'll probably see more tourists on Grafton Street due to the close proximity to TCD, St. Stephen's Green, and all the museums. On Henry street you'll mostly see Irish people and settled foreign nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Henry Street for me. I live up near Parnell Street, and find I never have to go further than Henry Street to get what I need. Also, as mentioned already, you have Jervis, Arnotts etc right there aswell.

I can afford to shop in more places on Henry Street than on Grafton Street aswell.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is these two streets at night. These days, Henry Street is cleaner, quieter, and you're less likely to have some pissed up scumbag starting on you for no reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Something that hasn't been mentioned is these two streets at night. These days, Henry Street is cleaner, quieter, and you're less likely to have some pissed up scumbag starting on you for no reason.

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Henry Street
    I find Grafton street much more civilised, especially around Christmas. You don't have all the stall-owners screaming at you pimping wrapping paper at "4 fer a yuuuuuurreee". Grafton street is more quiet and understated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd take a bunch of noisy traders at xmas over a bunch of crap mimes who operate all year round any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Henry Street for the shops and easy navigation but Grafton Street hands-down for the atmosphere.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Grafton Street, simply because I work in Henry Street so I'm sick of it and it reminds me of work ;)

Advertisement