Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to update firmware on an 02 K800?

• 26-12-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I noticed there is an option for updating the firmware on the K800, but my k800 is 02 branded so is it possible to update the firmware? If it is will it mess up some of the functions because the phone is not sim free/unbranded?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Nephew wrote:
    I noticed there is an option for updating the firmware on the K800, but my k800 is 02 branded so is it possible to update the firmware? If it is will it mess up some of the functions because the phone is not sim free/unbranded?

branded / unbranded phones are physically same... the operators disable some features, like using mp3 as ringtones so u have to pay to download !
    also they disable part of the network selection menu to force you on 3g network... ( depends on network)

flashing the phone with generic firmware leaves the phone with the functionality the manufacturer designed.

there are some sites out there that allow you to flash operator branded phones with generic firmware.,.but not sure what the addresses are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

i know an irish based comp that might be able to sort that debranding thing out for you, check em out, they are very well respected i had some phones fixed there. www.unlockingireland.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

what_car wrote:
    branded / unbranded phones are physically same... the operators disable some features, like using mp3 as ringtones so u have to pay to download !
    also they disable part of the network selection menu to force you on 3g network... ( depends on network)

flashing the phone with generic firmware leaves the phone with the functionality the manufacturer designed.

there are some sites out there that allow you to flash operator branded phones with generic firmware.,.but not sure what the addresses are...

If you reflashed a 3 phone with original firmware, so you could switch to GSM for better battery life for example, would you still be able to use 3's 3G service, or would you have totally wiped their software off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Elessar wrote:
    If you reflashed a 3 phone with original firmware, so you could switch to GSM for better battery life for example, would you still be able to use 3's 3G service, or would you have totally wiped their software off?

I presume it would be the same as when out of 3G coverage when it roams to Vodafone GPRS, only part of 3 Planet would be accessable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

skearon wrote:
    I presume it would be the same as when out of 3G coverage when it roams to Vodafone GPRS, only part of 3 Planet would be accessable.

But if you switched back to 3G on the phone yourself, would you still be able to use their 3G features? Or would you absolutely need the 3G firmware/software for this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement