Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PSP to 2.60 query

• 26-12-2006 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭

The kid's PSP is 2.00 and when trying to play a new game it seems that it has to be upgraded to 2.60. Now I have 2 questions about this.

First of all if it is upgraded to 2.60 will it still play the other games that were OK at 2.00?

Secondly - am I right in saying that its a fairly straight forward process to upgrade?

Sorry folks, I know those are very basic questions but Im not too familiar with these things so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

upgrading your PSP is just a way for sony to add new features to the PSP's functionality, as well as tightning up security, so when you upgrade it really doesn't affect the games (past, present or future) an awful lot. since it's your sons, you may as well upgrade to the latest version (available free on www.yourpsp.com), i think you get a demo with it.

as for the upgrading process. it's simply a matter of plugging the PSP into your PSP (selecting USB connection on the device), copying 1 file over, then running that file on the PSP. it does the nasty work for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

muffler wrote:
    First of all if it is upgraded to 2.60 will it still play the other games that were OK at 2.00?

Secondly - am I right in saying that its a fairly straight forward process to upgrade?
    1. Yep

2. Simple, just plug it in, start it, let it go and when it restart it will be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i dunno how much technical experience you have but if you can figure out how to install a custom firmware you should, it has far more benefits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

if i was you i would not upgrade you psp.
    fw 2.0 can be downgraded to fw 1.5 which is the best firmware to have
    with you 1.5 you can download full games off the internet and play them on your psp for free. You can also emulate vesion 3.01 using devhook .51 so you can still play your new games on the psp.

Honestly do a bit of research before you destroy a perfectly good psp.

if you upgrade now you will decrease the value of your psp buy about €100

coadyj wrote:
    with you 1.5 you can download full games off the internet and play them on your psp for free. You can also emulate vesion 3.01 using devhook .51 so you can still play your new games on the psp.

griffdaddy wrote:
    i dunno how much technical experience you have but if you can figure out how to install a custom firmware you should, it has far more benefits!

lads he said the thing is for a kid, and he's just worried about the upgrade for games. there's no point in complicating things with custom firmwares etc., and custom firmware/emulation/hax0ring is done by about 8% of PSP owners, it's not exactly going to raise the value of the machine for most people

• Advertisement

coadyj wrote:

there's custom firmware 3.02 out now that you can install on your psp and still run all 1.5 homebrew as well as having all the benefits of 3.02. furthermore, there's a full (yes, full) psone emulator on the firmware where you can actually play any of your psone games (not just just the ones sony release for the official psp emulator) i installed it 2 days ago and was very very impressed, no more need for devhook or anything. here's a link custom firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks lads for the replies. It appears that my initial questions have been answered but the jury is now out on whether I should upgrade it or not.

As coadyj said I will have to do a bit of research which should consist of asking a couple of mates if their kids have downgraded and how they went about it etc.

I take it that if I upgrade the PSP it cant then be downgraded?

lads he said the thing is for a kid, and he's just worried about the upgrade for games. there's no point in complicating things with custom firmwares etc
    Yes indeed, that was the idea alright but now Im even more confused

hahaha, edit that post man, it's bad news to talk about that and usually leads to a banning, but you make a good point and it's why i run this custom firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can downgrade from firmwares up to 2.71 so if you want you can upgrade to 2.60 for now so your son can play everything while you decide.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You can downgrade from firmwares up to 2.71 so if you want you can upgrade to 2.60 for now so your son can play everything while you decide.
    Thanks Ciaran.

That will get me some peace and quiet for the time being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

muffler wrote:
    Thanks Ciaran.

That will get me some peace and quiet for the time being

honesty muffler, the custom firmware is not hard to install
    send me a pm with your email address and i will talk you through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Spuddie

coadyj wrote:
    honesty muffler, the custom firmware is not hard to install
    send me a pm with your email address and i will talk you through it
    The PSP is for his kid for god's sake !

I'm positive the kid will not be using emulators, downloading games or anything like that. He just wants the PSP to play the latest games and thats it.

No complications.

Spuddie wrote:
    The PSP is for his kid for god's sake !

I'm positive the kid will not be using emulators, downloading games or anything like that. He just wants the PSP to play the latest games and thats it.

No complications.

my point exactly, and since the PSP was a christmas present (i'm presuming) it probably has the new motherboards, which have been hax0red but it's another set of questions to go through.

the kid probably just wants need for speed and killzone, not old games like sonic or mario, or even ps1 games.

Thanks again guys for the replies and suggestions. Just to clarify - its actually 2 lads I have and they are 10 & 13. They got the PSP for Xmas alright but it was last year and for whatever reason it didnt get much playing till lately.

Their favourite games would be Harry Potter, need for speed, smackdown v raw and from Russia with Love which incidentally is the game that wouldnt play without the console being upgraded to 2.60. Funnily I got the 13 year old lad to run this upgrade and he didnt have to connect to the PC as it upgraded itself if that makes sense (at least thats what he told me).

I know theres a difference of opinion in relation to downgrading and other things which apparently I cant mention but what would be wrong with doing something like coadyj mentioned? Or is it a case that you all know that I wouldnt be up to the challenge which I admit Im probably not :D

hahaha, it's not much of a challenge, i have an easy installer here that you just run when your psp is plugged into your computer and it does everything else automatically. someone else would have to talk you through downgrading from 2.6 to 1.5 though, dont think i ever did that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

muffler wrote:
    I know theres a difference of opinion in relation to
    downgrading and other things which apparently I cant mention but what would be wrong with doing something like coadyj mentioned? Or is it a case that you all know that I wouldnt be up to the challenge which I admit Im probably not :D

Its just that their is probably not much point. It allows the use of emulators for old consoles such as snes, sega mega drive and so forth(not illegal if someone wants to make a psp work like a snes that's their business, the illegality comes in regarding what one runs on the emulator). It allows origional playstation games to be run(see above regarding illegality). It allows homebrew applications and games(games made by random people and uploaded onto the net for free - as far as i'm aware no illegalities here). There are other things it allows but they are "frowned upon" and by that i mean outright, black and white, against copyright law and therefore cannot be discussed.

Now all this is grand if you are interested in some or all of those features named above and those not named above, but otherwise its not worth the hassel.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A PSP with firmware 2.0 won't have the newer motherboards. The sister got a PSP for Christmas which was 2.6 outta the box but has the old motherboard.

dregin wrote:
    A PSP with firmware 2.0 won't have the newer motherboards. The sister got a PSP for Christmas which was 2.6 outta the box but has the old motherboard.

well that's now a non-issue since you can downgrade the ta-082's

Advertisement