Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Decent Breakfast Roll

Options
  • 26-12-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

On my jaunt from rathmines into town to get the bus to work in the morning I often pick up what appears to be passing as a breakfast roll. In most cases this is rasher and sosage in a roll. Is there anywhere around town that does a damn descent roll i.e. it will give me chest pains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

O Donavans newsagents near Pearse Street Dart Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Any spar, centra, mace etc should do you a good one for €3.50 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well you have to be sure to ask for the extra gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

spar on camden street, it's 3.99 but my god you get a lot for it

sausages
    rashers
    egg
    white pudding
    black pudding
    some sort of potato thingy (not a hash brown)
    hash browns.

Cremo wrote:

sausages
    rashers
    egg
    white pudding
    black pudding
    hash browns.

No egg!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

As long as it goes down well...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No egg!?!?!?!?!
    Cremo wrote:

sausages
    rashers
    egg
    white pudding
    black pudding
    hash browns.
    ^^

Cremo wrote:
    ^^
    Oops....my bad!

Also....
    As long as it goes down well...
    ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Excellent mr cremo! I have been tempted to get one there a few times. I shall partake on my next trip to work and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OK I know it's not exactly on your way, but damnit it's worth it for the best breakfast roll you'll have ever tasted. There is a small newsagents on Bolton Street called Declan's and his rolls are truely outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Spar on Nassau St do a good one, as do Centra on Pearse St/Westland Row, and SuperValu there on Aston Quay are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

eo980 wrote:
    OK I know it's not exactly on your way, but damnit it's worth it for the best breakfast roll you'll have ever tasted. There is a small newsagents on Bolton Street called Declan's and his rolls are truely outstanding.
    I wholeheartedly endorse this post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Matt the Rashers in Sundrive does a mean, well filled breakfast roll, lots of choice for fillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

eo980 wrote:

It's been a lot of years since I've been to Declan's - but when I was in Bolton St DIT, his lunch rolls were legendary! I can only assume his breakfast rolls would be equally as good...........................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've yet to find someplace in Dublin to do a decent breakfast roll. For the record... It goes as follows.

Butter, tomato sauce, rasher, 2 sausage, white and black pudding cut up, hashbrown cut up and egg cut up on top of this, so that it can still close.

None of this sauce on top bullsh*t.

Oh, and the option to cut it in half.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't think the spar, centra, mace etc etc do a good Breakfast roll they tend to cook the stuff in the morning and just keep it hot.This is not ideal.I find some independent newsagents are great for the Breakfast rolls,they take longer to make but its worth it.

The best I have found is a small shop across the road from Fitzgibbon Street Garda Station which is just off Mountjoy Sq,I am not sure of the name but they do the best Breakfast roll in the City IMO.Another good spot is a local newsagent out in Easy Wall again I cant remember the name but it was beside the church,I used to use this place when my job had me on the road a lot which was a few years ago so I am not sure if this shop is still open with all the redevelopment work going on in East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is kind of funny that you had a "descent" roll, as opposed to "decent" roll, which is what you intended. As to good places to get rolls, you just have to shop around and try different places out over a period of time. You'll find all sorts of gems. Often it is down to the individual who makes the roll and the time you get in. You can get a good one on one day, but on another day in the same place, it may not be quite as good. Often the safest thing is to bring your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

crosstownk wrote:
    Matt the Rashers in Sundrive does a mean, well filled breakfast roll, lots of choice for fillings.

Oh I was going to recommend them. They really are lovely.

There is a new place in Terenure called Maraides too, just where the old alarming sounds/racers edge shop used to be.

What's the story with people putting brown sauce on their breakfast roll?
    What the hell like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bytes in parkwest.

Filthy kip but worth it for the rolls.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well if we're going outside the city theres a place next to buckleys providers in robin hood industrial estate that looks like a drive way with a portacabin in it but does a massive brekkie roll. used to drop in when we were renovating my new house. they make em infront of you to order (beans have no place in a breakfast roll!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

C2K on Abbey Street do a really tasty breakfast roll. It's not as well filled as your average one, but what they put in is top quality and it's delicous with a mug of coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Leaves and Beans do really nice breakfast rolls, its across from Smyths toystore in Tallaght and they're quite cheap too.

The cafe under the newsagent at the bottom of Leeson street used to do really nice breakfast panini's, got a cup of tea with it for something like €2.50. Dunno if they're still doing them though, haven't been in to get one since 2004.

nikolaitr wrote:
    O Donavans newsagents near Pearse Street Dart Station.

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

KdjaCL wrote:
    Bytes in parkwest.

Where exactly is that in the park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 amoKey

place ot the end of nassau street near teh dental hospital called Take 5. been a while since i ate there but the brekkie rolls where super. mostly cooked fresh, they basicaklly cook teh a few sausages and rashers off and use them and when tehy run low put a small few more on. eggs are cooked fresh for teh rolls and if you want it soft or hard just ask. bloody great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I think that Take 5 is shut. At least i haven't seen it open in a good while and i remember papery stuff on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If the contents are freshly cooked, then it's hard to do a bad roll. The key is often when you buy it and how busy the place is, as opposed to much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of interest how do you guys like the egg? i like mine runny so it goes all overt the rest of the stuff. cant stand it when its solid

by the way pass leaves and beans all the time, must check it out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Oh my god, you have to try Gerard's on Lower Leeson street! It's absolutely rediculous! Everything freshly cooked all day, and everything is rediculous! they have that smooth pudding and spread it on the roll! they have hash browns and everything. They're top of the range-super deluxe roll is like a fiver, but omg, they're worth every penny!

My local spar (Clonskeagh) do pretty nice rolls too, nice and at a reasonable price.

Advertisement