Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birth Control Pills & Anti-Biotics?

• 26-12-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

my girlfriend is taking antibiotics until friday, she also takes birth control pills, anyone know for how long after she finishes the antibiotics will the birth control pills be effective?
    she forgot to ask the doc, and wont go back to ask him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is based on my experience with pills and antibiotics, so if anyone knows different, please say so. Antiobiotics, illness and other things can all affect the effectiveness of the pill.

Your girlfriend and you should use additional protection for seven days after the course of antibiotics are completed. ie she finishes them on the 7th, then you should use additional protection until the 14th. If this falls within the "dead time" when she is taking no pills, then she should run two packets back to back.

The leaflet contained in the box in which the pills came should contain this info. If she's still unsure, then she should ring her GP, they won't charge any extra for a quick phone call looking for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

aha ha ha ha ha I just read that post and now im crapping myself!! Ive been on loads of antibiotics since baby was born (5mths!) and on pill and this aul nagging pregnant thing has been at me the last while and now i read it can affect pill - ah aha ha ha ha ah total nervous laughter btw!!!! Im only messin im not THAT worried but still its good to know - i never even thought of it before now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

yeah there are some antibiotics that interfere with the pill, or more correctly, have the potential to interfere with it. As dudara said, just use additional means of contraception after you she gets off them, is it a short course she's on? If it's a longer course of antibiotics, or one which has stronger interference on the pill, she needs to do a bit extra. So just ring your GP and find out what the craic is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the pharmast who cashed the script should have given that advise, at least our local one does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Pretty sure Dudara is right, however if you don't have the leaflet that came with the bc pill then I'd advise going to your pharmacist tomorrow and asking them. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Wait at least 7 full days after she finishes with the anti-biotics before stopping with the extra protection. For future reference, it's always wise to get the full low-down from GP/Pharmacist before trotting off and taking anything. GP will normally check what other medication you might be on (in your medical file) and will ask you if you're taking anything else. The once or twice I've had any medication they've always advised 7 days, I'm surprised your girlfriend wasn't told this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Dudara spot on, 7 days and your girlfriend must begin her next pack if the seven days exceeds days left on current pack. Know a couple of people who got pregnant this way, antiobiotics really do render the pills effectiveness obsolete so be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

No they don't, there are only a small number of rarely prescribed a-bs in Ireland that make it obsolete, most of them have very little effect, but the possibility is there. Peni and ampi cillin are the two common culprits of the broad spectrum group but even they dont automatically render it obsolete, so theres no need for panic, just extra protection as a safeguard.

Advertisement