Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think these suits are real?

• 26-12-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm in another country at the moment (in the UAE), but I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable people a question, if you don't mind.

There's a department store here that used to be quite up-market (about 15 years ago), but it's looking quite tattered and dated now... fallen on hard-times due to competition.

Anyway, they have thousands of suits in there at incredible prices. There are different price ranges, but one example would be buy one suit for ~Eur 150 and get two more for free... so you get three suits for Eur 150, and they are by brands like Cerruti (although I'm not sure whether it was Giorgio Cerruti or Cerruti 1881), Hugo Boss, Gianfranco Ferre, Baldassari, etc.

My problem is I can't believe they are real at that kind of price, yet I wouldn't have expected a shop like this to be selling fakes. What do you think?

This shop does have incredible bargains nowadays. Today I bought 5 hand towels and 3 bath towels, all high-quality (they say they are made in America, and from the quality I'd say they probably are) for about Eur 15! Actually that might have been a mistake - the original price was Eur 50, but the sale price was marked as Eur 30, then when I went to pay she said it was Eur 15. She seemed a bit flustered, so she may have made a mistake, but I asked if she was sure and she said yes, so perhaps they had just been discounted further...

Back to the suits... I'd say they have probably been in the shop or in a warehouse for many years. One of them had some strange lumpy-wavy bits in the fabric, but most of them looked perfect. I'll go back tomorrow and try to establish whether the lapels have been sewn or glued and look for any other give-away signs. There wasn't a crowd of people buying the suits anyway, so that's a bit suspicious, and the last time I went to the shop (a year ago), there were thousands of suits in there at unrealistic prices too, so perhaps everyone else knows something I don't. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Do they feel like quality suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it seems to good to be true - it probably is.
    Bring along someone who has been there longer and knows the market.
    Buy a few suits for personal use if they fit. It's still nice, even if they may be fake*.

*Boards do NOT condone buying fakes in any way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Okay, well I went for a closer inspection today.

The suits marked as 'Cerruti' are in fact supposed to be 'Cerruti 1881' (I said in my earlier post that they might have been the cheap 'Giorgio Cerruti' brand).

I couldn't find any obvious signs that they were fakes. The lapels were sewn, not glued. The fabric feels good - it says it is Super 120s and I believe it. Everything else seems to be in order.

I had one reservation, and that was that the buttons on the wrist cuffs were not real - just for show. I know that more expensive suits normally have real buttons on the wrist cuffs, but then I had a look at my current suit and the wrist cuff buttons on that are also just for show (cannot be unbuttoned).

So I just don't know now. If they are fakes then they are very good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

where is this place?
    fluppet wrote:
    Okay, well I went for a closer inspection today.

The suits marked as 'Cerruti' are in fact supposed to be 'Cerruti 1881' (I said in my earlier post that they might have been the cheap 'Giorgio Cerruti' brand).

I couldn't find any obvious signs that they were fakes. The lapels were sewn, not glued. The fabric feels good - it says it is Super 120s and I believe it. Everything else seems to be in order.

I had one reservation, and that was that the buttons on the wrist cuffs were not real - just for show. I know that more expensive suits normally have real buttons on the wrist cuffs, but then I had a look at my current suit and the wrist cuff buttons on that are also just for show (cannot be unbuttoned).

So I just don't know now. If they are fakes then they are very good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

A department store in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Who cares if they're fakes or not? If they seem to be very high quality isn't that all that matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ulc84

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Who cares if they're fakes or not? If they seem to be very high quality isn't that all that matters?
    Are you having a laugh? Are you the same moral,ethic poster in the af thread. Do you realise what the fake industry do. Do not buy fakes they're ****e and a complete waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ulc84 wrote:
    Are you having a laugh? Are you the same moral,ethic poster in the af thread. Do you realise what the fake industry do. Do not buy fakes they're ****e and a complete waste of money.
    OP has already stated that they feel of a good quality and if a suit feels and looks good, then a designer label should not be an issue. One is unlikely to find any sort of expensive suit pimping a big showy label because that would be crass.:rolleyes:

ulc84 wrote:
    He said he couldn't find anything wrong with them and were good quality...

Fakes and the real deal are equally bad ethically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Balls to that. If the quality is good i would say buy buy buy! Who cares if they're marked cerutti or not? My brother got a tailor made suit in Laos recently for €37 and its savage.
    Do i realise what the fake industry does? yes, yes i do. They provide me with an exact replica of an item I want at an affordable price.

T.Sc.
    If you want to go around wearing shít clothes,give a poor image of yourself, support child labour and possibly evn damage your health then buy snides. Make the better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

ulc84 wrote:
    If you want to go around wearing shít clothes,give a poor image of yourself, support child labour and possibly evn damage your health then buy snides. Make the better choice.
    Chances are you're supporting child label with the real deal anyway tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

ulc84 wrote:

Shít clothes? He just said they're of a high quality.
    Poor image? Do you hang out with people who check your labels or something?
    Child Labour? What shoes are you wearing actually...thought so.

And the health damage one..well.. I won't even bother

Shít clothes? He just said they're of a high quality.
    Poor image? Do you hang out with people who check your labels or something?
    Child Labour? What shoes are you wearing actually...thought so.

And the health damage one..well.. I won't even bother
    I won't even bother with your ilk, wouldn't waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

You already have, haha. So, what's my 'ilk' then?

Advertisement