Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you support a no hoper?

• 26-12-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

So Im listening to the radio, your one Leona from X Factors song is playing. Not normally my thing but its a great song and having watched two or three episodes of the show she was clearly the best of them. However, on the same show there were several utterly terrible acts, complete with a studio full of hollering friends and family members somehow convinced that they were the dogs bollix. So my question is, if you had a good friend or close relative who was being hyped, but you yourself believed that they were nothing special/were fcuking awful, would you be able to push yourself to support them?

A few years back now, a girl I know was on a tv talent show. Passed the audition judges by the skin of her teeth (split decision, one judge liked her, one said no way and one wavered before finally saying yes), was voted on to the show proper by the viewers, lasted two episodes on the actual show. Now, because I knew/know her (havent seen her in ages, we all left school, people lose contact, you know how it is not sure where she is now) I was, obviously, supporting her. Like everyone else who knew her, sent about a dozen texts each night, probably a tenner worth seeing as it was premium rate. Alas, although I didnt say it to anyone, secretly I had to admit to myself that the singing was quite mediocre, and that Id do better myself. However, I kept voting and voting to keep a genuine, sound person in the show more because of being mates rather than thinking she was the superior singer. Now, virtually everyone I know wouldnt stop with the "she has an amazing voice" stuff and I was thinking, I wish she had but she simply doesnt. So if it was your mate/relative who was singing, or if they were signed by a Premiership club because they played one or two exceptional games in front of a scout and somehow wowed them at their trial, would you keep your opinion to yourself, or is tellin someone theyre not cut out for it constructive so as they dont channel all their energy into becoming something they arent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yes, yes I could. I believe support is part of being a good friend/relative.

As long as they were giving it their best, thats all that can be asked of them and I'd stand by them for trying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If they were happy keeping on going, I'd keep schtum about what I thought their singing was like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

rb_ie wrote:
    Yes, yes I could. I believe support is part of being a good friend/relative.

As long as they were giving it their best, thats all that can be asked of them and I'd stand by them for trying.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'd support someone who gave it their all as it would probably be the least I could do in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd support them but I wouldn't pretend to think they were good if they were rubbish. If they asked me what I thought of them I'd give an honest opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

People support sh1tty football teams all the time, so I don't see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd do what I think is best for them.

That might be to support them all the way or it might have to be a tough love approach.

If its just a friend entering a weekend competition then sure, I'd do my absolute best to support them.

If its a friend giving up their job and setting all their hopes and dreams on something that is just not gonna happen, then I might have to be that one bad guy who tells them their singing sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah, agree with the above. Unless this person is making some significant sacrifice, it isn't worth the trouble of telling them. If you do, they'll still end up losing but will only resent you for what they may perceive as your added antagonism to their "incredible talents and vocal abilities":)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For something like Xfactor or Pop Idol or Eurostar or something I'd definitely support them, but if they were crap then they're not gonna get through anyway as te general public would have them voted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ah yeah, I have loads of friends like this.
    They're in bands that play music I don't like.
    I go to their gigs and what not. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would certainly stand by a relative or friend that wants to chance their arm at singing/ sports/ modelling etc... How am I to know what works in the music/fashion industry?
    At least they followed their heart instead of taking the safe bet, like too many people do these days. I myself am impulsive and generally have greater respect for triers than safe betters.
    That said, I wouldn't go to every single game/gig just to be supportive. I would however encourage them to keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

I would, because even if they are rubbish, they're still my friend. If you have a mate who thinks they can sing, it's not like you only find that out when they go on X-factor - you know it because such people spend their life doing karaoke and singing in pubs and in their house, so you know if they think they can sing well before they get to a televised competition.
    What are you going to do? Ditch your pal the first time they open their gob to sing in the pub, just because you don't like it?
    Naaah.
    Because after they go on X-factor or whatever, and get voted off, they're still going to want you to be their friend, aren't they? And if you've not been supporting them and whooping and hollering, they won't want to be mates with you because without any question of a doubt, they'll reckon you weren't supporting them because you were jealous of their success in getting as far as X-factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd disown any family or friend that whored themselves out to the X Factor or any similar load of sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilrayosunshine

Yes, you have to support your mates. But surely if they were your mates you would've told them before the auditions that they can't sing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

tbh, due to my wholehearted rejection of the way the music industry operates and the principle of any of those reality shows I'd find it very hard to support someone. That said, I can't imagine who I would know who would want to enter one of those competitions

If it was simply a music competition and not a reality TV thing then I would probably attend for the benefit of my friends, but then again I can't imagine any of my friends having a musical act so bad it was laughable. If asked my opinion I would give constructive criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

I wouldn't support someone if they sucked ass - no matter who they were. Better to give them a reality check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why would you put yourself out of pocket to support somebody who you barely knew? Those text messages cost a fortune and week in week out you are supposed to drop a tenner on them? I don't think so.

I don't watch those shows anyway so I could happily plead ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Ah saw the thread title and thought Tha Gopher in a fit of self realisation, was posting looking for support...

Advertisement