Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the Reputation system!

Options
  • 26-12-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, you know you want to. :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

+1 rep to KH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe it will be brought back when the vBulletin upgrade thingamahjig happens. :) Ah memories

reputation_pos.gif *Karl Hungus will become famous soon enough*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

-1 Rep for starting a rep thread.

Post here for free rep!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

-1 @ Stark for dissing the rep thread.

MrP

-1 @ MrPudding for giving me -1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

+1 to me for not being a rep hater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Doesn't that kind of thing just encourage the perpetuation of the popular opinion and meddle with the quality of debate, particularly in the political and religious fora?

Encourage the philosophy of "fight the powah!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ah, reptards, I remember them well... Tards who crave peer recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I miss rep - never has boards been quite as hilarious as when rep and karma existed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

rep whore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

But we mods already have double secret rep in place for rating the plebs/ sorry ordinary users !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ShoveAllIn

gandalf wrote:
    But we mods already have double secret rep in place for rating the plebs/ sorry ordinary users !!!!!

Are you sure you are not confusing that with the "user note/infraction" part of vBulletin?

:confused:

ShoveAllIn wrote:
    Are you sure you are not confusing that with the "user note/infraction" part of vBulletin?
    Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.5

T'is in 3.6.* my friend. :D

(yes karoma I hear you a mile away)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

&#231 wrote: »
    as when rep and karma existed :D
    Who killed Karma?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

gandalf wrote:
    -1 for mentioning it in public

oops! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

karmacard.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It is time for the cycle to begin anew.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Can someone briefly explain the reputation system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can someone briefly explain the reputation system?
    Basically it's a system by which users can rate a post by another user positively or negatively. A running total is available to the user on how their posts have been rated. A user can have a positive or negative rating depending on their total. There was also a league table of users but I can't remember whether this came by default with the vbulletin software or whether this was a hack used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Hagar wrote:
    Ah, reptards, I remember them well... Tards who crave peer recognition.
    I wanna be one of them!
    Was so disappointed that it was gone by the time I signed up.
    Judge me, rate me, grade me! I'm ever so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ah. Thanks. I always forget that the Biki is there (i'm not in it, so I never need to check it:))
    I actually thought of suggesting a similar system once, but instead of reputation it would be post-count worthiness. If someone just posted ROLF then they could select not to have that post count towards their postcount, or a moderator could make it not count, therefore making the postcount system a true reflection of a posters usefulness. Same basic idea as the rep system then...

Am I the only one who would love to see NetWhizKids reputation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

ziggy67 wrote:
    You're...................................average, happy now? :)
    /me sighs of relief

Thanks Ziggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Am I the only one who would love to see NetWhizKids reputation?
    I just looked. It's less than mine.

sceptre wrote:
    There was also a league table of users but I can't remember whether this came by default with the vbulletin software or whether this was a hack used.

Comes by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It was all Giblet's fault. Enable it for everyone except him and it'll work. :)

+1 for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ShoveAllIn wrote:

:confused:
    It's hard to confuse those, since it's actually useful on a bulletin board site, and hence completely unlike a reputation system.

Insert rant previously ranted at http://talliesin.journals.ie/2006/09/22/forums-usernames-karma-and-reputation/

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    For one thing the same thing that will raise the regard some people have for you, will cause others to disrespect you. A well-written (from any standard) post on a controversial topic, or a controversial moderator action in the case of mods will cause some people to love you and some to hate you. Certainly as a mod I can say that the actions that have resulted in me being called a power-tripping blah blah tend to be the same that have people PMing me congratulating and thanking me.

So, someone who has done something that you may very well strongly agree or disagree with may well have a neutral rating. If you are in the minority on a particular position someone you may well be as good as soul-mates with will have a negative reputation.

Well in the case of moderator actions, the folks who disagree with you and call you a power tripper generally have very low reputation anyway. In which case, they don't have much power to affect your reputation score.

Other than that, I actually think reputation is okay if you see it as a fun game as opposed to an accurate measure of a poster's worth. I mean when reputation finally went, it seemed to be due to all the "I'll rep you if you rep me", "Post here for rep", "I'll trade you a green dot for a red dot" etc. threads. It was like a game of Monopoly that had gotten to the stage where everyone either had more cash than they could count and all the hotels they could build or were broke. It was no fun anymore but was still oodles of fun for a while.

If people want to restart it, all well and good imo. I'll trade someone a "Get out of prison free" card for $200 :)

Advertisement