Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom floortiles

Options
  • 26-12-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭

I had nonslip (the sort with tiny pimples on them) tiles laid in a wetroom/shower room. The builder made a poor job of laying them and while they are ok to the extent that they are waterproof, they look a mess. I think I could improve the appearance of the room by having another layer of tiles put over them. It wouldn't be practical to take them up as the wall tiles were put in after them, and they are fine (different tiler). Are there any issues I should consider here? The new tiler would have to cut round the toilet and basin pedestal, and accommodate the angle at the top of the drainage slope. Is that asking too much? Would mosaic tiles work - small enough to do the fiddly bits- would they be nonslip? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

IMHO I think you should take them up and lay your tiles properly onto the screed. The new tiles will come up to the same level and the grout will hide any additional space if done properly. A second layer of floortiles will not necessarily adhere all that well to the original layer and also, cutting around the sink, toilet and so on is not really the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,583 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for that, my problem is that taking up the floor tiles will probably damage the very large wall tiles and I'm trying to balance between your argument, which I accept, and damaged wall tiles. I suppose I shall have to do the obvious thing and get a tiler to look at it :) .

Advertisement