Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting a Wireless Router to an existing wired Router

• 26-12-2006 11:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have had an ADSL wired router for ever that i used for the internet, i recently picked up a Netgear Wireless Router in PCWorld for €69.99;

http://pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1850&image=Wireless_Networking

That i wanted to connect to my router and use as an acces point for my Wii, but no matter what i do i can not get the internet to work through the wireless router.

Does anyone have a similar set up that they were succesful with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Explain how you're configured the network so far? ie connected router to modem etc. As much info as possible please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I returned it and got a linksys wireless access point. i thought it would save hassle and it doesnt work either.

Is there any port forwarding that needs to be done for the Wii to access the internet?

again, more detail is required. What do you mean by "didn't work", could it detect the wireless but not connect? Could it connect but not find internet, did you try connecting other devices? etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

irlrobins wrote:
    again, more detail is required. What do you mean by "didn't work", could it detect the wireless but not connect? Could it connect but not find internet, did you try connecting other devices? etc

Im trying to connect it to my P990i right now and its not finding the internet connection.

It seems it keeps losing communication with my router after i set it up. i have tried letting my router assign it an ip address and i have tried setting a static and after i configure it it just seems to not stay connected

When i first started to set it up i set it up on 192.168.1.200. i entered that into my address bar and got the login for the access point, but i didnt know the details. apparently this only needs a password, default; admin. so i exited and proceeded to the setup wizard.

I tried setting a static ip again after the setup wizard settings didnt do anything for me, and now it doesnt even pick up on it. when i enter the ip it just does a google search

Update: i plugged it out and back in that seemed to have done the trick, i can access the router settings now throught the static ip i set. There doesnt seem to be much to configure that would have any bearing on the phone being able to access the internet through it

EDIT: i have nowsuccessfully connected the phone to the access point. but when i try to go to boards.ie the phone replies "could not locate remote server"

what make/model is the wireless ap?

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    what make/model is the wireless ap?

Linksys Wireless-G Model: WAP54G

on the WAP54G set the gateway to the ip address of the dsl modem/router and see if that works

irlrobins wrote:
    on the WAP54G set the gateway to the ip address of the dsl modem/router and see if that works

That was the first thing i did when i setup the static ip.

I have a Wifi dongle so i hooked it up to another computer, its detecting the network but it has limited or no connectivity when it connects to the wireless network

that usually means it's not getting an ip address. I presume you have no wep or wpa set just yet? What ip address does dsl modem have and what ip address does ap have?

irlrobins wrote:
    that usually means it's not getting an ip address. I presume you have no wep or wpa set just yet? What ip address does dsl modem have and what ip address does ap have?

I have a WEP key setup.

The routers IP is 192.168.1.1 and i set the AP static ip to 192.168.1.245

• Advertisement

slade_x wrote:
    I have a WEP key setup.
    Switch it off for now. Try and get it working without wep first. If you get it all working and then turn on wep and it breaks, you know the problem lies with the WEP config.

irlrobins wrote:
    Switch it off for now. Try and get it working without wep first. If you get it all working and then turn on wep and it breaks, you know the problem lies with the WEP config.

Same thing again. the other pc has limited or no connectivity, the p990 connects to the ap but cant get an internet connection working

And the wii wont connect to anything unless you specify a key

EDIT: I got it working now, nevermind

Advertisement