Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Omega - electronic air conditioning problem

Options
  • 26-12-2006 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hi

While travelling down the country for X-mas the AC turned itself off any time the car was at idling speed. When moving it was fine and heater /demister etc worked. Sat in car today and have no heater or demister etc- the illuminated switches for these has gone out. Checked the fuses which are ok anyone any ideas ? Will have to leave to a garage in new year but wondering if any mechanics have any idea what would cause the problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dak wrote:
    Hi

While travelling down the country for X-mas the AC turned itself off any time the car was at idling speed. When moving it was fine and heater /demister etc worked. Sat in car today and have no heater or demister etc- the illuminated switches for these has gone out. Checked the fuses which are ok anyone any ideas ? Will have to leave to a garage in new year but wondering if any mechanics have any idea what would cause the problem ?

I'm not a mechaninc but I had an Opel Vectra with climate control air con once so I am guessing that it is a similar system in the Omega. My climate controled air con stopped working one day like yours for no reason. It went back to the Opel garage where they could not diagnose the problem other than the whole system needed to be replaced. Car was outside of warranty and they wanted something like £400 at the time for fitting the new system. Easy to say that I didn't get the system replaced and traded the car soon afterwards with the climate control still broke.

Don't know if you have the same problem but I found that the Opel garage was utterly useless in diagnosing the problem. Instead telling me it needed to be replaced. I read somewhere later that it is a fairly common failure on Opels. Hope you have better luck than me. A good auto electrician might be able to help as the problem sounds more electrical than mechanical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"When moving it was fine" Does this mean it dissengages in neutral?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

mike65 wrote:
    "When moving it was fine" Does this mean it dissengages in neutral?

Mike.

No. When engine was at idling speed it was as if there wasn't enough electrical current and it tripped out. It now doesn't work at all.

So it sounds like electrics then, oh dear! Dunno the system but most climate control have a error code read-out which can be accessed by those in the know (try googling UK Vauxhall sites), it ciould point to the problem.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

mike65 wrote:
    So it sounds like electrics then, oh dear! Dunno the system but most climate control have a error code read-out which can be accessed by those in the know (try googling UK Vauxhall sites), it ciould point to the problem.

Mike.

Thanks for the help - problem fixed! I hadn't physically checked the fuses as the manual said it was on the same circuit as the heated front seats which I thought were still working as the on light came on when switched . Seems daft that an on-light illuminates when the heated seats are not actually working. A UK vauxhall site advised to chaeck fuse 14 which I did an replaced for the enormous sum of 50 cent!! Demisting again horray !!!

• Advertisement

Result! :D (pity they are'nt all that easy)

Mike.

Advertisement