Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your 2006 Highlight (JustOne!)

• 27-12-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭

Ok it's almost the end of 2006 and in my opinion it's been a cracking year of football. So many moments that stand out for various reasons so can you pick just one?

Personally for me it's the immediate aftermath of Zinedine Zidane's penalty in the World Cup final. Forget everything that happened before and after, for that moment I was speechless. The sheer audacity to take such a penalty in the World Cup Final against probably the finest keeper around. While everyone around me cheered etc I just sat back and thought "Wow". The guy is the greatest player I've ever seen play and that moment will last in my mind forever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Zidane vs. Brazil was just incredible, reminded me of what the best player in the world can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Buying a fake French jersey minutes before the WC Final, meeting a load of French randomers in Thailand and leading them in a chorus of Freres Jacques on a big stage in a huge nightclub with the match on the big screen. Getting so drunk I had to go home while it was still in normal time, and then waking up the next morning with no idea who had won... :D

Nah screw that, Shels beating Bohs to win the league for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The last 30 seconds of extra time in the FA Cup final!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Larsons Champions league winning substitute appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

O Connors goal to make it 3-2 in cup final i believed it was ours.

Also lowlight :(

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:
    The last 30 seconds of extra time in the FA Cup final!

Mike.

Having a piss in the jax of the Flowing Tide, I turn to my right and congratulate the Scouser at the urinal to my right. "I'm not Liverpool mate" he says, "I'm Everton!"

"That's alright, I'm not Liverpool either, I'm Spurs"

"So why were you cheering 'em on" he asks.

"Cos I f*cking hate West Ham"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Best moment for me was probably hearing the news that Newcastle had sacked Graeme Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The goal that put us 1 up against Rovers in the cup quarter final was a great moment, I really thought it was going to be easy after that. Italy winning the WC was also hugely satisfying to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Winning back the league. :cool:

The winner from Glen Crowe?

Sweet as a nut. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It has to be half time in the Brazil v France 1/4 final when substitute Robinho went straight over to his Real Madrid club mate Zidane(who had just given a mesmerising 45 minutes of genius) as they left the pitch and greeted him with a huge smile and hug. Everyone rejoiced at Zidanes majesty, even opponents. It showed the influence he had not only on fans but also the huge impact he had on his younger team mates and all top professionals.
    It was a truly beautiful moment.

Robinho also headed for Zidane at the final whistle to show his reverence. Incredible really considering he'd just been knocked out of the World Cup....... says it all really.

I'm missing Zizou already...greatest player I've ever seen on tv and in the flesh several times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Henry's Final hattrick at highbury at the final game at highbury!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNVNky8UXg

Knocking spurs out of the CL place's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jank wrote:
    Henry's Final hattrick at highbury at the final game at highbury!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNVNky8UXg

Knocking spurs out of the CL place's!

West Ham knocked us out of the CL places...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

West Ham knocked us out of the CL places...
    Well, technically Arsenal had to win to move into 4th place so... :)

For me it was either Henry's goal at the Bernebeu, or Cesc's goal against Juventus. Can't really decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pedro Mendes last minute winner against Man City, the goal that got our fight for survival off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

For me it would be the return of the legend that is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Good to see him back on the scoresheet yesterday after his latest injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The World Cup as a whole for me. Missed most of the 2004 Euro finals and the 2002 WC finals due to badly timed travels and it was a joy to sit down and watch game after game.

It doesnt get much better than watching the likes of Cannavaro and Zidane playing in the way they did.

Solskjaers return came a close second in my list of highlights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Henry's goal against Real Madrid for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Mark Crossley gettin us a point against Southampton.

I think this will be looked back as the point that kept us in the playoff race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

PHB wrote:
    Zidane vs. Brazil was just incredible, reminded me of what the best player in the world can do

Agreed - he was absolutely brilliant in that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Glen 'Judas' Crowe scoring the league winning goal against Bohemians. ;) Beautiful! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ashley Cole's face after the own goal yesterday...priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well Zidane would have been in my highlights but narrowing down to one it would be Derry City 5-1 Gretna , a lot of people had their eyes opened that night and were proved very , very wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

The Argentina - Serbia match was my highlight, as well as Zidane's renaissance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Le God at the World cup.

Argentina-Yugoslavia in Germany was another highlight for me as well as watching Barca play Chelsea off the park at Stamford Bridge last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Naka's free kick against Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The world cup final and Italy winning it ( does that count as two ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Cambiasso's goal for Argentina in the World Cup - I was so amazed by that, I remember just laughing as I watched it, it was so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Not many 'Pool fans here. Gerrards last minute equalizer in the FA Cup Final; possibly the greatest FA Cup Final goal ever.
    Oh, and all the goals against England in the WC.

That was in 2005 and this isn't a goals competition. Even if it was I can think of better goals scored in more important games.

example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Drogba's equaliser in the Nou Camp and the reactions of the players when it went in :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

kinaldo wrote:

Even if it was I can think of better goals scored in more important games.

Ooooooh ! ! ! ! Saucer of milk for Kinaldo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

thegills wrote:
    Not many 'Pool fans here. Gerrards last minute equalizer in the FA Cup Final; possibly the greatest FA Cup Final goal ever.
    I'll second that - great goal!

Mad Dog wrote:
    Ooooooh ! ! ! ! Saucer of milk for Kinaldo ;)
    Yeah I don't appreciate being tricked into seeing that again, especially as it was scored against our reserves in a meaningless end of season fixture well over a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thegills wrote:
    Not many 'Pool fans here.

Maybe not on this thread. As for the rest of them..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The away leg of the promotion playoffs against preston :)

Hard to pick a low one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Ronaldo and Solskjaer against newcastle at old trafford earlier in the season, had a sh1t week and went over not expecting a whole lot, Ronaldo destroyed them and Solskjaer scoring at OT again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ziggy67 wrote:
    Nakamuras stunning free kick winner against Man Utd. Sweet sweet moment :)

Zing and Boruc's penalty save afterwards was just as sweet:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

kinaldo wrote:
    That was in 2005 and this isn't a goals competition. Even if it was I can think of better goals scored in more important games.

example

My bad, was thinking as much couldnt remember when it was for some reason,this year or last, still is a massive highlight for me, it came to mind straight away.
    Thread title states its a highlight, why cant it be a goal? I know there are better goals but the circumstances around this one make it extra rememberable...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Q_Ball wrote:
    The away leg of the promotion playoffs against preston :)

Hard to pick a low one :(

Exactly. That was the one game that Blackwell got it right. After the first game when Billy Davies said that was "job done" it really annoyed everyone at Leeds United and made it so sweet when we beat them.

Far too many low points to choose one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the emergence of gabby agbonlahor

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Being there to see United beat Liverpool 1-0 with O'Shíte and Fletcher in midfield. Very funny indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

for me it's Jose saying that Chelsea would be top of the league by Christmas :D

ingame i think it would have to be one of Lehmanns penalty saves in the champions league, the one against Villareal in the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

even as a hammers fan it has to be the cup final, ill never forget the amount of txt msgs i got when gerrards 2nd goal went in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

2006 is a year Bohs fans will want to forget, at least for on-field endeavours. But watching Joxer Kelly torture poor George O'Callaghan was a real treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Being in old trafford when Louis' goal went in against Chelsea. Some feeling.
    Its hard not to give a few more though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

For me it was....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW6AD8lKJk8

The Peoples Club !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement