Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

turas teanga

• 27-12-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I just ordered this online to try brush back up on my gaeilge. I was wondering what your opinions on it were and how effective the DVD set is? I haven't been in school in 6 years, I did honours Irish for the junior cert, but through poor decision, I did the leaving cert applied and only covered very basic gaeilge. So it's really been about 8 years since I studied gaeilge properly.

I remember some gaeilge, mostly basic stuff, but I've forgot alot of the verbs and nouns, and irregular ones with tenses I've also forgot. I guess I'm in the same boat as alot of people. Will turas teanga be able to help me, or will I have to take a basic Irish course first to brush back up on it? Any thoughts?

Ta,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

It's got Sharon Ní Bheoláin in it. What more do you want?! ;)

But seriously, I'm sure it's a help but one language course isn't going to make anyone fluent. You need a holistic approach of constant use and exposure to Irish. Turas Teanga may be an important part of that but it's not going to do it on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm looking for conservation classes to keep it up Gael, but it's hard to find them. Most of the links online are out of date, and on foras na gaeilge, the nsac's are all pretty much out of date too. I've sent a few e-mails to people on there, hoping for a reply. When I go back to college in Jan, I'm going to see if there is a society. We were asked at the start of the semester if there was a language we'd like to add to our course - I expressed my interest in Gaeilge but they never said anything more on it.

It's a shame it's such a task to learn your own language, isn't it? :(

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm looking for conservation classes to keep it up Gael, but it's hard to find them. Most of the links online are out of date, and on foras na gaeilge, the nsac's are all pretty much out of date too. I've sent a few e-mails to people on there, hoping for a reply. When I go back to college in Jan, I'm going to see if there is a society. We were asked at the start of the semester if there was a language we'd like to add to our course - I expressed my interest in Gaeilge but they never said anything more on it.

It's a shame it's such a task to learn your own language, isn't it? :(

Where abouts are you based?

Even if you're not near any actually Irish language groups, if you have a good internet connection, the internet is great for exposure to languages. You can listen to both Raidió na Gaeltachta and Raidió na Life (Dublin based) across the net and watch TG4. TG4 now archive a lot of their programmes on their website (www.tg4.ie) which means you can watch them anytime you want. Then there are books, magazines, which you can order by post if your local shops don't stock them.

Certainly, one-on-one human interaction is the ideal, but it's certainly not the only option available in the short to medium term.

I'm in waterford, so not exactly in the middle of the sticks. I'd really want a course situation where I get to speak to other people. I think I really need that. Friend of mine has pointed me to a irish shop in town which might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm going to pop down tomorrow and see what's happening.

I watch TG4 alot btw, but it's hard to make out alot of it. I pick out sentences here and there. It's a shame nobody is ever in that IRC channel, otherwise it would help me alot with my written irish.

dlofnep wrote:
    I'm in waterford, so not exactly in the middle of the sticks. I'd really want a course situation where I get to speak to other people. I think I really need that. Friend of mine has pointed me to a irish shop in town which might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm going to pop down tomorrow and see what's happening.

Well you are near a Gaeltacht there. And a very strong one from what I hear.

http://www.deise.ie/index.html

Emailing them mightn't be a bad idea. They probably know a lot about what might be going on in the city too.

• Advertisement

I've dropped them an e-mail. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 O_Murchu

An bhfuil tu saghas go maith ag caint as gaeilge??
    Nil me go hiontach ag caint as gaeilge ach is maith gaeilge ar aon nós:D:D:D

Advertisement