Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needed software/charts/etc

Options
  • 27-12-2006 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone got any info/downloads on Planisphere (what exactly is this?) Star charts and planetarium software geared towards the beginner.
    I've always been fascinated by space/stars and regularly watch out for the different events - Leonid's, shooting stars, moon phases, etc.

I have nearly decided that the Sky-Watcher Explorer 150p is the scope for me, and would welcome any opinions on this.

But basically, what other stuff do I need?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

At it's most basic a planisphere is a tool for calculating the possitions of stars for a given latitude see here http://members.aol.com/psphere/ for an expample, this sort of planisphere can be bought in the likes of easons.
    There are also software versions both free and commercial; Stellarium would be an example of a good freeware one or if you want something a little better I would recomend something like Starry Night for you.
    Good look with your new hobby, you've picked a very capable starter scope but remember astronomy is one of those things where what you get out of it is directly proportional to what you put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭knm

Thanks for your replies Redshift.
    While there is loads of info on the net, some of the astronomical communities seem quite small, thereby making "real user experiences" like yours even more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Keep looking in here then Knm. Between the various regular contributors and newbies, you'll be well informed. For example, the International Space Station(ISS) is currently passing over Ireland each night for about the next week. You can get exact times to see it, clouds permitting, from wherever you are by registering on http://www.heavens-above.com which is an excellent website. It is free to register on it. Once there, you can put in your location and it will give you all sorts of information of things you can see at any time. Click the ISS link in it for the times to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭knm

Registered there already. Excellent site full of loads of serious info, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well it looks like you are already well on your way to becoming an expert. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement