Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Preformace Sailing In Ireland (Dublin)

• 27-12-2006 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All i have just moved over to ireland and i am a keen sailor. I sail boats such as international 14's and cherubs. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a club in Co Dublin with a fun competitive high preformance sailing scene, and if failing that at least a club which runs handicapped races.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

I'd say fireballs would be the most active class in Ireland similar to a Cherub/I14 as neither of these boats are sailed in great numbers over here. The DMYC run a frostbite series for these and several other boats look here, they are based in Dun Laoghaire harbour. Catamaran sailing in Ireland is also pretty well developed, not too sure what their winter programme is like. Look at http://www.catamaran.ie/.
    If you want highly competitive sailing and structured racing I'd try lasers as they always get good turnouts at their events and there is a frostbite series run in Howth and the DMYC .
    Also try sailing.ie for plenty more info and try going down on one of the frostbite days and having a talk with someone I'm sure they'd be willing to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

dragonkin wrote:
    Catamaran sailing in Ireland is also pretty well developed, not too sure what their winter programme is like. Look at http://www.catamaran.ie/.
    Blessington SC and Swords S & BC are the two catamaran clubs in the Dublin area. Blessington is closed until late March, because of it's high altitude (The water is icy:( ). Swords may have some winter sailing.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Go for the fireballs. I sail them myself. There is a fireball ireland website with an active mailing list. You should sign up to this is ask to crew for someone as people are always looking for experienced crew.

Advertisement