Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing sliding patio doors

Options
  • 27-12-2006 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies I done a search and found a few things on this issue but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    We bought a new house that has a sliding door at the back. There is only a latch on it, no lock. I have heard that the metal on the latches are fairly weak and that its not uncommon to have no locks on the doors, maybe thats just in America.

I was thinking of getting those lock bars, any suggestions on what brands to get? There is a broom handle stuck on the track to prevent it from moving back even if the latch is broken. I'll probably end up getting a new door in but for now I need to have it a bit more secure if I can. Any more suggestions/comments/whatever would be great. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This type of lock are the most common secondary locks for sliding doors. You drill a hole into the bottom of the door frame and secure the lock to the ground frame and it then slides into the door to hold in place. Depending on your wants you can do it to the top frame and bottom frame, but its a bit annoying having to open each lock if you use the door a lot.

I do know of an easier way to lock it tho' which my father used about 18 years ago when our house was broken into as he had to set up a temp lock. He got 2 pieces of wood about 2x3 inchs thick and then cut one end into a triangular point and the other end in the same direction, a bit like this >======>. He covered both ends in flat rubber to stop them marking the door and then mounted both pieces of wood onto the door handle which fitted perfectly, then mounted the other ends into the top right and bottom right corners pressing against the frame of the second fixed pain of glass. With these pieces of wood up there is no way of opening the door from the outside without breaking the glass. The locks have long been fixed but my mother still puts the wood up any time she locks up as they make the door very secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Excellent post, lots for me to work on. Look out Sears, here I come! Thanks delly. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Np, sure you can't beat a holiday project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I was burgled a while back through the sliding door. Tap of a screwdriver and the lock/barrel was broken and door opened.

I know have one of those locks in Dellys post - but I also have a piece of timber also described by delly - nice triangular bit on one end. going from the handle to bottom corner.. impossible to open the door now... still use the wood even though i have the lock :) and always will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cool, I am becoming obsessed with security lately to a point I am not getting a proper nights sleep. :) I am going out shopping tomorrow to sort it out, our garage door has little or no protection either and if you can gain access to the garage then you can gain access to the house through there. It needs a door opener (electronic one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

ah - well my garage door is one which has 2 doors opening out. it already had a bolt on the top and bottom but i have put 2 very large latches on one door which close onto the fasteners on the other door when both doors are shut

they were previously used on stud farm doors to keep horses in :) hehe (u could say i am also security obsessed... :)

Advertisement