Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best design course for me?

Options
  • 27-12-2006 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'd love your advice on choosing a design course.

I'm a web designer, but I'd like to grow beyond this. I've also noticed a difficulty in giving my designs a strong visual punch. I'm pretty smart and I believe myself capable; I do have an aptitude for this.

Generally my (design) skills are focused around usability and communicating information, but I have difficulty communicating emotion and abstract concepts visually -- I am better at doing so with writing and music. I'd like to expand my skillset.

What I want is a course that is very difficult, is a lot of work, but will allow room for experimentation and to spread out. I have a particular interest in typography, and in getting a better knowledge of print.

I was looking at the Portfolio Center in Atlanta, and it seems pretty much ideal in terms of the course itself, but quite expensive ($16k per year plus living expenses, without being able to work much on the student visa). So if there's something similar in Ireland or the UK (or even continental Europe) I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone knows of the ideal course!

Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

if yoou find one post up the info, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm pretty much in the same boat ...

I've ended up quitting my full time job in the hopes I can motivate myself to do some study on graphic design :) *it made sense in my head at the time*

So if you find anything let us know :)

Advertisement