Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP can now run your PS1 games!

• 27-12-2006 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Great news for 1.50 fw capable PSP owners

Sony's official emulator for downloaded PS1 games has been integrated into custom firmware so now you can play any PS1 game you like on it!

It works flawlessly and I've been playing Final Fantasy VII this morning.

This thread on eurogamer features all the relevant info and links for getting set up, its a little fiddly but well worth it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i heard the roms have to be clean etc so uncompressed? is it true?
    how bigs FFS 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Placebo wrote:
    i heard the roms have to be clean etc so uncompressed? is it true?
    how bigs FFS 7

Yea its big enough, ~700 megs per disc

I've a 1 gig at the moment, may upgrade, Memory Stick Duos are going dirt cheap on ebay lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah prices on those have gone well done. ive 1gb i need to downgrade again some how, i had 1.5 but gave it t my gf for a bit and she upgraded it with SFA3, not sure but id say its at 2.6 now, possible ****ed aswell.
    not sure what id like to play PSone wise, but FF7 should be good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

This is pretty amazing news. I've been waiting for this since I got my PSP.

Now I actually want to use it again - Resident Evil 2 and FFVII here I come!

(may have to buy a bigger card though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yeah i got the custom firmware upgrade yesterday, downloaded abes odyssey and realised i don't have enough room on my mem card. i suppose i'll have to go mad and buy the 2GB one sometime soon if i'm to be cool

• Advertisement

Maybe I'll finally get to play Final Fantasy Tactics

Though there's a proper PSP port of it coming so might wait for that if its been improved at all.

Playing FF VII for a while and I've noticed the PSP d-pad is really rubbish when it comes to pointing diagonally. I never had that problem with the PS1 pad! I honestly thought the PSP was identical but I guess it must be slightly different, never noticed till now cos I use the analog for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i've been playing the original resident evil on this for the last 2 days straight, Dark Alex truely is, the master of unlocking:D By the way, if you press home when in ps1 game on the psp it brings up a menu where you can change the control type to have it exactly the same except the analogue switches with the directional pad, i found it much easier. What other great ps1 games were there? resident evil still looks and feels so good, but i can't seem to remember how to do headshots!!

PS1 games I have fond memories of off the top of my head(not all exclusively PS1 games but its the system I played em on):

All the Final Fantasy games
    For obvious reasons
    Suikoden 1 & 2
    If you haven't played Suikoden 2 especially you're missing out on a wonderful story
    Little Big Adventure
    I adored this game, really quirky and fun adventure
    Discworld 2
    Point & click adventure with all the humour of the books
    Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Brilliant point & click games, and the first one features a section set in Ireland
    Syndicate Wars
    Fantastic game, some people will tell you it should only be played with a mouse, I feel it should only be played with a joypad, at it's best in co-op though which the PSP lacks (I think?)
    Metal Gear Solid
    Obvious one
    Bushido Blade
    Cool quirky fighter based on realistic one hit kills and full 3d environments
    Vandal Hearts
    Best strategy RPG I've played, though I admit I've not tried many
    Carnage Heart
    Really really unusual game that has you build and program robots within a budget, then watch them fight
    X-Com
    God-game come turn based strategy about fighting off an alien invasion, solid strategising
    Grand Theft Auto
    A different experience to the 3d ones, still lots of fun just messing around in the city
    Abe's Odyssey
    Interesting platform puzzler
    Colony Wars
    Only space combat game I've ever enjoyed
    F1 97
    Every F1 game after this sucked for some reason, although finally 06 seems back on track
    Destruction Derby 2
    Amazing car damage and carnage at the time, I dunno how it would hold up after playing the likes of burnout though
    Rallycross
    Much like destruction derby 2 in a more open environment
    Legacy of Kain
    Great and deep action RPG

Obvious ones like Gran Turismo, Tony Hawks, Tekken, Pro Evo probably won't seem so good now we're used to their sequels.

I'm sure there's many more :) the PS1 is probably my favourite console of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

GTA1 doesn't work, GTA2 works fine and Abe Odysee and Abes Exodus are must have's if you haven't played them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

what firmware does my psp have to be to operate this?
    anyone got a link for another site with a guide?that one sucks donkey balls

• Advertisement

what firmware does my psp have to be to operate this?
    anyone got a link for another site with a guide?that one sucks donkey balls

you need the OE-B custom firmware installed, and the guide that you read is probably the generic one that's on all sites (seems usual with all the d_a releases now).

and, can anyone remember the name of that pirate boat game (a 3d isometric platformer thing) that was on the original psx demo? it was rubbish but i loved the demo to bits for some reason :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

and, can anyone remember the name of that pirate boat game (a 3d isometric platformer thing) that was on the original psx demo? it was rubbish but i loved the demo to bits for some reason :D

Overboard. That game was unadulterated fun.

G-Darius and Einhander on the PSP :D . This is great news.

Question for steviec: Does the disk swapping in games like FFVII work or do you have to turn the PSP off and play from the end of disc save? If it does work I might finally be able to finish Koudelka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

So for those of us with 2.81 firmware, do we have to wait for the PS3 to come out to download and pay for PSX games? :(

Retr0gamer wrote:

that's the one! cheers retr0. that, abes odyssey and g-police will be my first investments (once i get a new memory card)

Retr0gamer wrote:

G-Darius and Einhander on the PSP :D . This is great news.

Question for steviec: Does the disk swapping in games like FFVII work or do you have to turn the PSP off and play from the end of disc save? If it does work I might finally be able to finish Koudelka.

Well I haven't got that far yet but as far as I can tell from the emulator interface there's no disc-swapping option so I reckon you're gonna be out of luck unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

steviec wrote:
    PS1 games I have fond memories of off the top of my head(not all exclusively PS1 games but its the system I played em on):

Broken Sword 1 & 2
    Brilliant point & click games, and the first one features a section set in Ireland
    Metal Gear Solid
    Obvious one
    3 Great games I have been trying to track them down for ages (Let me know if you have either;) )
    steviec wrote:
    Destruction Derby 2
    Amazing car damage and carnage at the time, I dunno how it would hold up after playing the likes of burnout though
    I got it the other day it really does not hold up and looks really bad.

Some of the best games I ever played where on the PS1 and I havebeen trying to get them for ages (Let me kow if you have them)

International Track and Field- Loved this game so much then it broke:( .

Nagano winter olympics- very under rated and 20 times better than the one that came out this year.

Harry Potter and the philosephers stone- I just remember this as a great game its probably muck but would still love to play.

Now I am sad and want to play these games:(

Reganio 2 wrote:
    3 Great games I have been trying to track them down for ages (Let me know if you have either;) )

The PC version of Broken Sword's going for next to nothing here

And if you want it on your PSP you can play the PC version using ScummVM which works just as well as the PS1 emulator :)

Not sure about MGS though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

steviec wrote:
    Rallycross
    Much like destruction derby 2 in a more open environment

Gosh, that's one not many people know/remember anymore and you're dead right, I remember it as being absolute tons of fun in 2-player mode.

Hat off to you, Sir! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

any idea what happens when you finish a disc (ff, mgs etc) and have to insert disc 2? Is that game over? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If the game lets you save at the disk change over it will work fine, just save and swap them on the mem cards. But otherwise your screwed, FF will be fine but I think MGS won't be. Can't confirm MGS though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Dark-Alex released 3.03 OE-A now, few changes, most notably 3.03 firmware and support for compressed psx isos. havent upgraded yet myself but i'll give it a shot later, could be very handy for those of you on 512 MB or 1gb cards, squeeze on a few more games!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

They should be, yeah. Games like Final Fantasy offer you the ability to save before the disc changes, so simply Save, exit, delete the EBOOT of the disc you're using and then copy the new one over, voila!

Advertisement