Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Wireless broadband connection

• 27-12-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Hello,

A cousin of mine got a new laptop for christmas and i was trying to get it setup for him. I brought it to my house where i have esat broadband and a Zyxel modem and it just worked automatically without me having to change any settings so that proved the 3com adapter was working.

So then i went out to his house where he has eircom broadband and a netopia 3347wg modem with no usb connection. Also his laptop is running windows 2000 pro and is an a refurbished laptop so it dosent have a ethernet connection but its setup for internet access via a 3com wireless card thats installed.

I got the 3com card installed successfully and it picked up the modem. I then uninstalled previous drivers while running the eircom broadband disk, then restarted and installed the eircom broadband software and got to the part where you enter the serial no and it gave me the network id and a security code which i wrote down, it was a code about 20-21 digits long consisting of mostly numbers and a few letters.

Anyway the internet still wouldnt work even though the 3com software said it was making a connection to the modem and picked up the network id eircom 3340 or something like that so i figured i must have to enter the security code. This is where i was baffled, i went into the security tab on the 3com software and changed the type to WEP? and it gave me 4 columns Key,2,3 and 4. It gave me a choice of 4 types of encryption codes so only 1 allowed me to enter the full code 104/xx or something i think, cant remember exactly and i entered it into the key1 and pressed apply but it didnt say wheter i done it correctly or not but it wouldnt work. So i went back in and tried another option in the security tab which let me enter security code (cant remember the exact name) but when i entered the code into key1 under WEP type it didnt asterix out the code which i figured isnt correct and this section was asterexing out the code. Anyway i entered the code and again hit apply and still nothing.

I tried http://192.168.1.254 and just got the usual page timed out message. There is already another computer connected to this upstairs via a 3d reach adapter working on windows xp and it works fine. The 3com adapter worked on my computer at home so it definetely wasnt the adapter and i could see that the adapter was making the connection and it had a little correct tick in the icon that was displayed in the system tray.

I also checked the pc upstairs and i went into the settings for windows xp which was slightly different because instead of going into the netopia 3d reach adapter to see the security settings you go in via windows and the security tab (windows 2000 dosent have this tab) and it was a lot less complicated looking with just 1 box for security code which was asterixed out but wasnt very long like the code i got it was maybe 8-10 digits long

So i hope i gave enough info and has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I am not familer with 3Com software but to try and narrow the problem down I would try the following. On the Netopia's Wireless try using "WPA - PSK", it is more secure than WAP and only requires you to enter in one code and an alphanumeric code of your choosing(like a sentence). On the Netopia Wireless page(http://192.168.1.254) turn off the wireless encryption, select "Off - No Privacy" and see if that makes a difference. In windows services I would disable "Wireless Zero Configuration". This is quite easy in XP but I am not familar with 2000. The other thing I would try is setting the "AutoChannel Setting" in the Netopia Router/Wireless/Advanced Configuration Options to "Continuous". You need not nessaserialy do the above in any paticular order or all at the same time. Its a matter of trial and error.

One thing you failed to mention, having entered the encryption code in the Netopia's settings did the 3Com wireless software not ask you to enter in this code to enable the connection. Other wireless applications normally would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

I am not familer with 3Com software but to try and narrow the problem down I would try the following. On the Netopia's Wireless try using "WPA - PSK", it is more secure than WAP and only requires you to enter in one code and an alphanumeric code of your choosing(like a sentence). On the Netopia Wireless page(http://192.168.1.254) turn off the wireless encryption, select "Off - No Privacy" and see if that makes a difference. In windows services I would disable "Wireless Zero Configuration". This is quite easy in XP but I am not familar with 2000. The other thing I would try is setting the "AutoChannel Setting" in the Netopia Router/Wireless/Advanced Configuration Options to "Continuous". You need not nessaserialy do the above in any paticular order or all at the same time. Its a matter of trial and error.

One thing you failed to mention, having entered the encryption code in the Netopia's settings did the 3Com wireless software not ask you to enter in this code to enable the connection. Other wireless applications normally would.

Thanks i will try the suggestions later, but the 3com software didnt ask me to enter any code. I went into the security code and done it manually. Ill try later on when i get home and let you know how it went. In the mean time keep the suggestions coming so ill have more to try:D

Also you said "having entered the encryption code in netopias settings"

i didnt enter this, when i ran the eircom broadband cd and after i entered the netopia serial number it gave me the encryption code and told me to copy and paste it, trouble is i wasnt sure where to paste it

See this page

http://tinyurl.com/yk3ybw

If you look near the bottom of the page, this is very similar to the 3com software where you enter the encryption in Key#1

On the WEP question, I would and do use WPA - PSK as it is much more secure than WEP. Also imo WPA is easier to set up as you only need to enter one key. The reason I asked about the 3Com software is on my set up(Netgear software + adapter) having set-up the WPA security key when I launch the Netgear software for the first time I have to also enter the same key to access the network. Try changing(in the Netopia settings) the security protocol to WPA you can always change back if you want to. A security key for WPA could be something like "The rain in Spain ect", a sentence or amalganation of characters and/or numbers that only makes sense to you. When you then launch the 3Com software it may very well request that you enter in the new key.

Regarding your query:
    "i didnt enter this, when i ran the eircom broadband cd and after i entered the netopia serial number it gave me the encryption code and told me to copy and paste it, trouble is i wasnt sure where to paste it"

I have a different modem so the settings are slightly different but I would suspect it means enter the key into the adapter settings for "Key#1". One thought, make sure you have "Enable Wireless" ticked in your Netopia settings. Best of luck, I have been through something similar many moons ago and I know how frustating it can be but you'll get there in the end.

On the WEP question, I would and do use WPA - PSK as it is much more secure than WEP. Also imo WPA is easier to set up as you only need to enter one key. The reason I asked about the 3Com software is on my set up(Netgear software + adapter) having set-up the WPA security key when I launch the Netgear software for the first time I have to also enter the same key to access the network. Try changing(in the Netopia settings) the security protocol to WPA you can always change back if you want to. A security key for WPA could be something like "The rain in Spain ect", a sentence or amalganation of characters and/or numbers that only makes sense to you. When you then launch the 3Com software it may very well request that you enter in the new key.

Regarding your query:
    "i didnt enter this, when i ran the eircom broadband cd and after i entered the netopia serial number it gave me the encryption code and told me to copy and paste it, trouble is i wasnt sure where to paste it"

I have a different modem so the settings are slightly different but I would suspect it means enter the key into the adapter settings for "Key#1". One thought, make sure you have "Enable Wireless" ticked in your Netopia settings. Best of luck, I have been through something similar many moons ago and I know how frustating it can be but you'll get there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sjc

dvdfan,

Did you get your problem sorted? We have the same problem with our laptop. Haven't followed up trying to fix it with eircom as we have a PC that is connected directly to the router that works fine. We're moving moving in a couple of months (no broadband access but that is a whole other story/thread) so it's not critical to get it sorted here.

I've connected to WPA wireless connections on the same laptop a few times so have a fair idea of what's required but still can't get it up and running. I've tried everything I can think of but still can't connect to the internet even though we too can see and connect to the wireless network when we look in the 'wireless connections'.

Because it's not critical I never tried turning off the wireless encryption before but that did work so I must be doing something else wrong. Obviously didn't want to leave it that way so have reverted and cannot access again.

Let me know if you manage to find a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

im also having the same prob with the 2247nwg netopia router the icon shows its connected but can not connect to the internet at all done everything i can think of as regards security (ie on and off) its really fustrating but i am havin other issues with the same router was wonderin then if any one else was havin a hard time with it!

Just taught id give an update. I enventually got it sorted. The main problem was the security settings, i didnt realise that the security settings have to match on both the computer and modem. For example if i turn the security off in the wireless adapter software (eg Netopia Reach if you got it from Eircom or 3com in my case) then you also have to turn the security settings off in the netopia modem by going into the modem settings via http://192.168.1.254 and going into expert mode and wireless settings and advanced settings and turning the security/encryption to off.

When i switched both to off it worked but ONLY if both were set to off. I then wanted to put on the security and again you have to have the wireless adapter software the same setting as the modem settings via http://192.168.1.254

For example i had to have both settings as WPA - PSK (This seems the best one to use as others have said above) but if the modem is set to WPA - PSK and the wireless software set to WEP then it wont work.

For anyone having trouble getting it working i would suggest trying to set both the modem and wireless software to Off and if you get that working then try and getting the WPA - PSK settings working.

Everything gets a bit more complicated if your using different broadband as the above applies to Eircom broadband but the principles should be the same. Let me know if theres anything i might be able to help with and thanks to the above posters for helping me get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

^ Kinda obvious. You can't have a conversation between 2 people if one is talking English and another Latin. Similarly, your PC won't "talk" to modem unless it's on the same encryption language.

Same principle applies to all wireless, regardless of broadband provider.

Its very obvious to me that if a player is ahead of the last defender in soccer when the ball is played forward that their offside but for someone that isnt familiar with soccer or hasnt played it, it can be very confusing.

Simarly with my situation, i can set up 2 computers on a network, re-install drivers, re-install windows from scratch, design a database driven website and fix alot of computer problems but because ive never had to deal with this issue before i didnt realise that there was an ecryption setting on both the modem and wirless software, i taught the setting was just on the wireless adapter because ive never tinkered with the advance settings of the modem.

Its very obvious to me now but the reason i posted it was someone in my situation might be helped by my post and the people above who were very helpful never taught of mentioning it, maybe because it was obvious:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Oh I wasn't being smart. I was just trying to explain why both devices needed the same settings. ;)

Im just been cranky because it took me ages to figure out, thinking i was great and all and then someone points out how obvious it was:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Hi there,

I have a netopia modem and i am going through the setup and i have two ticks and i'm am now installing the drivers but its not going anywhere. Anyone have any ideas why its stopping?

installingadapters-connectnow.gif

I am following the setup on this page.

Edit : Scratch that, its onto the Settings Up Security now. It took literally 20 mins though.

You need to unplug the wireless adapter before starting the setup and then plug it in when you see the "please plug in the adapter message"

If that dosent work you might need to uninstall the drivers and start from scratch as that sometimes causes a problem if you abort the setup in the middle of installing the drivers.

dvdfan wrote:
    You need to unplug the wireless adapter before starting the setup and then plug it in when you see the "please plug in the adapter message"

If that dosent work you might need to uninstall the drivers and start from scratch as that sometimes causes a problem if you abort the setup in the middle of installing the drivers.

Its still on 'Setting up security' ... I had not unplugged the adapter, do you think i would definitely need to do this?

It should go through the checks fairly quick. If its sticking on security too long then id defo uninstall the drivers. If i remember correctly if you restart the process using the eircom disk it will ask you do you want to uninstall the previous drivers. When you get to this stage make sure to choose uninstall old drivers. I think it might prompt you to restart the pc then so do that.

Then pop in your eircom disk and run through the setup (dont forget to unplug the wirless adapter before starting all this) and it should be fine. Have you an old computer, sometimes older computers have alot of trouble with this stage of the setup. I done an install before with a windows Me Operating System and it took several goes to get it done, sometimes it would stall on installing drivers, sometimes installing wireless utility program, sometimes the last step. The important thing is to uninstall the drivers each time you have an unsuccessful installation.

dvdfan wrote:
    It should go through the checks fairly quick. If its sticking on security too long then id defo uninstall the drivers. If i remember correctly if you restart the process using the eircom disk it will ask you do you want to uninstall the previous drivers. When you get to this stage make sure to choose uninstall old drivers. I think it might prompt you to restart the pc then so do that.

Then pop in your eircom disk and run through the setup (dont forget to unplug the wirless adapter before starting all this) and it should be fine.

I uninstalled and started again, still the same though .... taking ages on Installing Drivers. I'll leave it and see how it goes.
    Have you an old computer, sometimes older computers have alot of trouble with this stage of the setup. I done an install before with a windows Me Operating System and it took several goes to get it done, sometimes it would stall on installing drivers, sometimes installing wireless utility program, sometimes the last step. The important thing is to uninstall the drivers each time you have an unsuccessful installation.

Yeah, its was an ME machine (4-5 yrs) but installed XP on it.

Do you think the uninstall that it does automatically at the start of each install is enough?

I'll leave it for a while and see how it goes anyway.

Cork Skate wrote:
    Yeah, its was an ME machine (4-5 yrs) but installed XP on it.

Do you think the uninstall that it does automatically at the start of each install is enough?

I'll leave it for a while and see how it goes anyway.

As i said before i had trouble with older machines installing them before and it was a matter of trying over and over again until i was successful. According to eircom windows ME machines werent designed for broadband access (dont agree with this excuse i think it was more a case of they couldnt figure it out) but your running XP on it so that shouldnt apply as XP is broadband friendly. What kind of specs have you on the machine?

Anyway just have patients and keep trying, it may take a while but it will eventually be successful. If it was stopping on the same step every time id say your in trouble but youll probably find it will get stuck at different steps each time.

You can go to Control Panel -> Add and Remove Programs and uninstall any eircom programs you find here if you want to be extra sure

Advertisement