Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted Waterford

Options
  • 27-12-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I was in Waterford over Christmas and a friend of mine was saying he saw the ghost of an old man whilst driving the old back roads of waterford - out around Ballinamona and the old Tramore road. It kind of turned into a talking point over Christmas and a few interesting stories cropped up.

One was that there are new houses being built in the area and now there are lots of people selling up because the area is so haunted.

Another story was that there was a woman around the area who used perform illegal abortions.

Anyway, I dont know if any of you are familiar with the Waterford area, but I'd love to hear more if any of you have had experiences.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Living in Tramore and its the first I heard of such stories. Drive that road a lot, so its pretty freaky to hear such stories. Tho, that wouldnt stop me from listening - so people, do share :)

maggz:- Sorry for being blunt, im not familar with this forum so im not to sure what to expect. Your friend, is he some sort of person who can see ghosts (cant think of what you call them)?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

No not at all, it was the first time he saw a ghost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

And he is sure it wasnt a real person?

Lol

I asked him the same question. He said he was sure it wasnt, he just knew. he looked back to make sure and he said he just knew by the look of him that it wasnt.

Then again, I didnt see him, sooooo who knows :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems weird to me, its the first iv ever heard of such tales!:)

I know that apparently the old infermery is haunted, and I was talking to some friends today who commented on some houses / cottages out in Pickardstown. Girlfriend even recalls being out there late one night and heard someone running around the back, but was unable to identify who the person was. Her friend who was with her aunt lives in one of the houses and comments that she hears plenty of strange noises including lights turning randomly on / off. Apparently around 1AM the hourses in the stable go mental, which is rather strange.

To top an interesting story off, others who stayed in that house include Germans who could not verify the above stories. :S

• Advertisement

maggz wrote:
    No not at all, it was the first time he saw a ghost.

Any chance you would have more specifics? Where abouts on the road, what did he/she look like, where was the person walking. What made that person appear as a ghost rather then a human?

And btw, would ya not have stopped and asked him was he ok? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Haven't heard of this either. Chances are the old infirmary is haunted...to say the least.

Wierd thing happened to myself yesterday. Was waiting in my da's car on the Quay, by the clock tower, and swore I saw a chap that worked for my dad cycle down the road... He must have died about two years ago. He had a unique way of hunching over the bike...which is what made me look in the first place...

Oh and traffic on the road moved out as normal for a bike...so I wasn't the only one...

Sully04 wrote:
    Any chance you would have more specifics? Where abouts on the road, what did he/she look like, where was the person walking. What made that person appear as a ghost rather then a human?

And btw, would ya not have stopped and asked him was he ok? :P

He had his children in the car so he couldnt draw attention to what he had seen, as they are very young. He said he was driving along and saw an old man standing at the gate of a derilict house. He said the man had a strange sort of glow to him that it was definitely not a real person - does that make sense?? He then turned around to look again and he was still there.

Sully04 wrote:
    I know that apparently the old infermery is haunted,

I dont know how anyone would live in there... HAS to be haunted. I heard that there was a nun/nurse there who used to set up the theatre for surgery. After she died when they would come in in the mornings to set up the theatre, everything would be arranged exactly how she used arrange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

maggz wrote:
    I was in Waterford over Christmas and a friend of mine was saying he saw the ghost of an old man whilst driving the old back roads of waterford - out around Ballinamona and the old Tramore road. It kind of turned into a talking point over Christmas and a few interesting stories cropped up.

One was that there are new houses being built in the area and now there are lots of people selling up because the area is so haunted.

Another story was that there was a woman around the area who used perform illegal abortions.

Anyway, I dont know if any of you are familiar with the Waterford area, but I'd love to hear more if any of you have had experiences.

I've heard this from several people. I was told one family bought a house there but never moved in due to the place being haunted.

Apparently there have been many reports of people walking or cycling past the place and they've heard children particularly babies crying long before a house was ever built there.

Personally I wouldn't walk or cycle past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

maggz wrote:

Well, there is a story attached as always. Allegedly, many many years ago a man's father was dying. He was taking a short cut across someone's property to get to the nearest Church (which would have been in Waterford). The landowner ordered him off at gunpoint, and the priest never reached the dying man to administer the last rites.

The priest was then said to have cursed the land, and even a song was composed ("never a bird shall sing in - insert area name"). Rumour has it that a family has left a house in the area because of the ghostly carry-on.
    Apparently the said area is reputed to be indeed devoid of bird life.

How true it is? I leave it up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

maggz wrote:
    He had his children in the car so he couldnt draw attention to what he had seen, as they are very young. He said he was driving along and saw an old man standing at the gate of a derilict house. He said the man had a strange sort of glow to him that it was definitely not a real person - does that make sense?? He then turned around to look again and he was still there.

Readybrek?

That area in particular has a paupers graveyard there, long since covered over. I know graveyards are hardly the place for hauntings but maybe it's another piece of the jigsaw.
    You'd really have to find out the history of the derelict house though to figure out would there a reason for it to be haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Roen wrote:
    Readybrek?
    hehehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

there is a house just before u get to carrols cross pub about 200 yards on the waterford side thats well known to be haunted.
    has anyone heard of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

paul666 wrote:
    there is a house just before u get to carrols cross pub about 200 yards on the waterford side thats well known to be haunted.
    has anyone heard of that

Yep - saw that. Similarly one just as you exit Clonmel (about two miles out) on the left hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shebsy

the one coming out of clonmel just sunk did it not?unsafe to live in i was told...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I'm also from the Waterford area, never encountered a ghost. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

I was reared close to Ballinamona and went to school in Castletown, the old school close to where the new houses are built.Throughout the years there has been lots of stories told about the area. The most realistic was by my own father who was working late one night back in the 50's in the Garage opposite the Half Way house on the Tramore road. They were working late on a summers night repairing machinery and the large steel doors at one side of the garage opened and closed, a few seconds later the doors on the opposite side opened and closed as if someone passed through. The other person he was with was not at all surpriseed by the incident but simply said that they were not wanted there any more that night.
    Crows have not built for 300 years in Ballinamona, and it is only in recent times that they have started to build there again.
    There was also the story of a large black dog that was seen regularly at the gates of Ballinamona in the dead of night, most of these stories came from the days of very few cars on the roads when people walked or cycled.
    Not too sure about the house at Carrolls cross being haunted, there is more to this story, it is to do with a famnily fued and that is the reason no one has lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

i heard some stories about the old infirmary, don't know how true they are.

when they were initially clearing out all the squatters before doing it up, two of the gardai dogs ran away terrified from a room... apparently.

sher, it was probably only mossy.

cool story though.

• Advertisement

Apparently, tho I dont know if I believe the story or not, a friends fathers friend (yes, I know, some relation) drove out the road by balnamona and coulndt avoid a dog and ended up hitting it - but the dog turned into a women and then walked through a wall.

That story seems way to far fetched to be true if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shebsy

Sully04 wrote:
    Apparently, tho I dont know if I believe the story or not, a friends fathers friend (yes, I know, some relation) drove out the road by balnamona and coulndt avoid a dog and ended up hitting it - but the dog turned into a women and then walked through a wall.

That story seems way to far fetched to be true if you ask me!

id say this was about the same time they were selling magic mushrooms in town was it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

paul666 wrote:
    has anyone heard of that
    Me and a few friends went cycling one day looking for that house.Went in to a few pubs on the way out and were told stories about it and other stories.Apparently there were men hung in the forest across from the long hall pub? We got to haughtons pub(scarey place)and gave up but planned on going further the next time we go. We had all the "interviews" in pubs on video but i lost them all when i bought my new hard drive :( anyone ever hear of the ghosts that haunt the manor by larchville or the convent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Me and a few friends went cycling one day looking for that house.Went in to a few pubs on the way out and were told stories about it and other stories.Apparently there were men hung in the forest across from the long hall pub? We got to haughtons pub(scarey place)and gave up but planned on going further the next time we go. We had all the "interviews" in pubs on video but i lost them all when i bought my new hard drive :( anyone ever hear of the ghosts that haunt the manor by larchville or the convent?

The Manor? I went to play-school there, is the building still standing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

I went to play school there too.Its in bits now they are doing some renovations on it or something.When i was up there a few years ago they showed us a hallfway that had been hidden behind a wall that they knocked and the story was that a girl that lived there probably 100+ years ago(if its that old) was buried under the floor and they had to remove the rotten body before doing the rooms up.i remember seeing the lights go on and off in the parts of the building that were closed off from st pauls playground...scary stuff that was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 macklad

maggz wrote:

yes mate,,,apparently there is a grave yard of un baptisted babies some where out there on that road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

I do think the manor itself is haunted it is a scary place at nite,about 15 years ago i woz drinking up there and one me friends said he saw something like a banshee flying over the glass factory wall,scary ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Hey all, am heading down to waterford for a night out next week but plan to go down early, is there any sites/buildings which can be visited or open to the public that may have an interesting spooky history?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

kshiel wrote:
    Hey all, am heading down to waterford for a night out next week but plan to go down early, is there any sites/buildings which can be visited or open to the public that may have an interesting spooky history?

''The Coachouse restaurant and guesthouse at Butlerstown near Waterford City is said to be haunted by a gunman who fell from a window after being shot dead by British troops in 1921 - open daily for accomodation and dining, ph. 051384656'' Paranormal Ireland by Dara deFaoite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

katarin wrote:
    ''The Coachouse restaurant and guesthouse at Butlerstown near Waterford City is said to be haunted by a gunman who fell from a window after being shot dead by British troops in 1921 - open daily for accomodation and dining, ph. 051384656'' Paranormal Ireland by Dara deFaoite

Thanks Katarin.:)

Advertisement