Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VNC tunneling over SSH

Options
  • 27-12-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if someone had any ideas for this little problem.

I want to be able to tunnel VNC through SSH on my home network. Now this would be fine if the machine serving VNC was also the SSH server, but in my home network, the machine SSH is fowarded to is a linux webserver (lets say 192.168.0.3), while the VNC machine is a windows machine (192.168.0.6),two seperate PCs on the network.

So once I have a connection established to my SSH machine, how can I further create a VNC session on the seperate machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What you're really looking for is FreeNX (www.nomachine.com may have a free version). It uses the NX protocol over SSH. Basically, it's VNC over SSH, except better than VNC by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I forget which port VNC uses, your server/client should be able to tell you.

This should work (and has for me) with a simple port forward. When you're outside your network, do this:

ssh -L 8080:192.168.0.6:VNCPORT user@myhomeip

VNCPORT should be the port the VNC server is listening on on 192.168.0.6. This will forward that port back to 8080 on your local machine. Just connect to localhost:8080 with your vnc client.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Thanks for that lads. It seems that ssh -L works, but it may be slow so I think I'll have a look at NX too,save me the trouble of tunneling myself

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

TimAy wrote:
    Thanks for that lads. It seems that ssh -L works, but it may be slow so I think I'll have a look at NX too,save me the trouble of tunneling myself

Have you looked at http://www.hamachi.cc/? I use it all the time with a mate of mine and we never have to bother port forwarding etc

Advertisement