Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup

• 27-12-2006 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I want to make a Meat & Veg soup. Approx three helpings. I dont have any ingredients at all . I like all meat/veg.etc.
    I do have cooker /saucepan/water /cutlery & bowls.
    I will need a step by step on this please as I dont have any idea how to make up any food.
    ( This could be the start of something wonderful)...
    Tks n adv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Doesn't get more simple than something like this:

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=55032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Tks for that I will give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you still looking for a soup receipe? Something odd about that lamb recipe - 2 turnips and 2 swede? Also you can't cook barley in 15 minutes. Anyway here's my chicken soup method - not really a recipe as the contents are very variable. And I'm taking you at your word that you don't have much experience, so its quite detailed, really easy and fairly quick though. Serves about 3.

You will need

Chicken legs (3)
    chicken or veg stock cube
    Water
    Veggies - onion, carrot, celery, potato, turnip
    Dried mixed herbs (or fresh if you have them)
    Salt (maybe) and pepper

You will also need

2 pans with lids
    sharp knife
    slotted spoon
    chopping board (for veg).
    Large plate

Put chicken legs in largish pan, add about one and a half litres of water and a stock cube. Put on lid, bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer (water just barely bubbling) for about 30 - 40 minutes, or until meat comes loose from bone when you poke at it.

Meanwhile top/tail/peel as necessary, 2 largish carrots, one large onion, about 3 stalks off a head of celery, about a quarter of a turnip (skin is thick),
    3 medium potatoes. Chop all veg into small even pieces (about pea sized). (This is what makes nice soup - you can whizz in a food processor but it tends to stick when you cook it, if you want it smooth better to whizz after its cooked and before adding the chicken).

Put chopped veg in second pan and add about half the liquid from the chicken pan. Cook gently with lid on till tender, about 15 minutes or so.

When chicken is done lift out with slotted spoon onto a big plate, check no bits of chicken left in liquid. Remove skin and discard. Take meat off bones, remove any gristly/veiny/undesirable bits and chop meat into small tidy bits. Return to pan and add contents of veg pan. Continue simmering till veg is completely done. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick and to break potatoes up slightly. If it seems a bit thin you can add a handful of porridge oats, simmer for a few minutes. Taste, add salt if necessary (stock cubes are salty so check) and pepper. Serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Was going to put in lots of info about different veg then forgot, so I suppose it is a receipe!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

That is the business & even I can follow no prob.
    I didnt do anything on first idea as I thought it was a bit large.
    Tks for info

• Advertisement
Advertisement