Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done Newstalk

• 27-12-2006 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I tuned in to Newstalk today Dec27 to listen to the Munster-Leinster rugby game. Absolutely excellent coverage...No bullsh1t,no grating accents,no predictable pronouncements.

May I say Oisin Langan is excellent as a commentator,the panel had the right mix of well,irreverent comment, and all in all an excellent production.

Later at 1700 Hook was on !!!!

What were RTE doing.... the usual crap....losing the plot rapidly... very rapidly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya beat me to it! :D I'm e-mailing George right now to say "well done Sir"

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Good man... I hadn't got 30c!!!

But fair play,must admit I could find no fault in the production.

RTE will have to sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Not wishing to fan the flames from another thread, (tis Christmas after all!) but it is interesting that it has been noted on another radio forum on another site that one Dublin radio station, possibly Newstalk, thought not confirmed by the OP, went on pre-recorded auto-pilot for 4 days, and their live news bulletins stopped at 2pm on Christmas Day, resuming 8am on St. Stephens Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

No biggy, most people dont listen to the radio Christmas day as they are busy entertaining their backwards family :)

Am a fan of news talk myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DMC won't leave this one alone! Up with Newstalk down with RTE! etc ;)

Newstalk abondoning live news is cheap (whats wrong with INN or are Newstalk not party to it?) and wrong. That said Morning Ireland is not getting up any earlier than 8 am this week I belive, while BBC R4 was back to normal today and had a two hour prog yesterday (26th). When RTE can do likewise then they will get my respect.

Ryan Tubridy was on-air this morning for a decent two hours but it was followed by twice as much Ronan Collins as is healthy. Pat Kenny is on air tomorow I think (don't hold me to that).

Mike.

• Advertisement

In fairness now, in fairness,as Dezzie, roih hmumph hmumph yeay roih lads, Cahill would say. RTE have made SOME moves as opposed to last year.

Now what is different??.. Yep,bit of competition,thats what.
    They have realised this year,that with some competition around, they cannot turn on Joe Jackson and repeats ad nauseum,for the week after Xmas.
    They have made some effort with Tubridy(who didn't seem too enthusiastic initially) and with Kenny this morning, to give the licence payers what they pay for.

Sad thing is though, that it was not loyalty to their listeners that brought this on but commercial neccessity.

Time to get those overpaid A listers out in Montrose to start earning their salaries.

That e-mail is on hold!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The Newstalk coverage was pretty good.

I think both RTE and Local Radio should now raise their game.

Great to hear sports been covered well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I was listening to the Munster-Connaught game and thought the coverage was amateur in the extreme. It really did sound like the main commentator knew **** all about rugby, and was unable read the game at all.
    Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

That'd be Oisin Langan then. Mannion knows the game well enough, but Langan hasn't got a clue about the game at all. Still at least Newstalk had someone there to cover the match though.

That'd be Oisin Langan then. Mannion knows the game well enough, but Langan hasn't got a clue about the game at all. Still at least Newstalk had someone there to cover the match though.

Wasn't tuned into that game,but two points.

To say Oisin langan "hasn't a clue about the game" is off the wall.
    How can someone commentate on a game and "not have a clue".

Now, he may not be as experienced in the game as some commentators,but to me anyway ,that can be a bonus, as he tells it as it is ,rather than conducting a personal vendetta with the referee,and refereeing the game himself.

With regard to the coverage,maybe its a contractural thing? I do not know.

One thing is abundantly clear,the cozy little nest out in Montrose is never going to be the same again.

Why Mr. Flutter I hear you cry????

Competition dear boy... Competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I listened in to the munster v connaght for a few minutes and i thought the commentary was very bad they seemed to be in a car or something! and every 5 seconds he was saying " youre listening to newstalk etc... very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

legspin wrote:
    I was listening to the Munster-Connaught game and thought the coverage was amateur in the extreme. It really did sound like the main commentator knew **** all about rugby, and was unable read the game at all.
    Just my opinion
    you have my total support there, as another person who actually listened to the broadcast as opposed to just offering an opinion i felt it was shoddy in the extreme, far inferior to the other games commentary, it sounded like they were in the bar watching it on setanta, couldn't believe it was the same radio station, just goes to show, the right people at the right job make all the difference.

Advertisement