Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on first RC Car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Well have you got a good amount of tarmac/concrete to run it on. If not off-road is your only option

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Maybe I might just have to get one of each then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

For what you're willing to spend mate, you will get an off road car/truck that will go just as fast as an on roader. I have one on roader and three off roaders and the speeds aren't that different, 'cept for my menace21 truck. It does around 70mph. The only possible difference you will find is handling, and even then there's not a huge difference. Here's a video of one of my off roaders doing on-road runs.
    http://www.stevetrek.com/movies/TheJoyride2.wmv

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

irish1 wrote:
    Maybe I might just have to get one of each then

Maybe this is more of your taste and well in your budget Im sure.
    LINK

Accelaretes 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds, thats quicker than any Ferrari:eek:

Well I purchased both a on road Carson 4WD and a Spector but the on Roader needs to be built and I couldn't get the Spector to start. But I forget the sticker package so I'll up tomorrow and collect that and they might be kind enough to start the spector for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

irish1 wrote:
    Well I purchased both a on road Carson 4WD and a Spector but the on Roader needs to be built and I couldn't get the Spector to start. But I forget the sticker package so I'll up tomorrow and collect that and they might be kind enough to start the spector for me.

Way to go bud..
    Must of got yourself a good deal in buying both.. ;)

€740 all in for both I thought it was good value anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

God you must be loaded to be able to buy both. I hope you enjoy them :)

irish1 wrote:
    €740 all in for both I thought it was good value anyway.

Sounds good. €370 each.
    Not a bad price at all mind. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

"Not a bad price at all"
    Slight understatement eh Vectra?

I wouldn't sit on my hands if I were you ... the Green Hobby sale lasts for a month, but "certain items" will be cleared in the next 2 days.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote:
    "Not a bad price at all"

I wouldn't sit on my hands if I were you ... the Green Hobby sale lasts for a month, but "certain items" will be cleared in the next 2 days.

Well, Yes then.. Very good deal seeing as I estimated the price of the Car @ €450 yesterday.

Also
    Its not the hands I am sitting on..Its my wallet.. :D
    Its liable to fly away now its so light..

Looking at changing my real car shortly.. ( well around March)
    Was looking @ buying a 03' Jag "X Type" 2.0 litre TD.
    Wife nearly freaked :eek:

Still cant get through to her how it would be such a good purchase.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

coolwings wrote:
    "Not a bad price at all"

Know of anything good going quite cheap? [€100]

Vectra: You would have a hard time getting that into many peoples head, but im with you.. go for it :D

Flunked wrote:
    Vectra: You would have a hard time getting that into many peoples head, but im with you.. go for it :D

Well.
    They retail at approx 29k here
    I can get this one in and cleared for under 21K ;)

Basically would be costing me only 10K with my own car.
    Sell it 3 months latyer and be up €4-5K :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

you know, if you keep doing that a few times, you will have a few thousend extra:D

Flunked wrote:
    you know, if you keep doing that a few times, you will have a few thousend extra:D

;)
    And it would all go towards my car that I would be keeping.. :D

vectra wrote:
    ...Wife nearly freaked :eek: .... Still cant get through to her how it would be such a good purchase.. :rolleyes:
    Keep working on it.
    A couple hundred on tickets for a holiday in the sun buys a lot of brownie points !!!!!! :D

Flunked wrote:
    Know of anything good going quite cheap? [€100]
    I'll be surprised if there isn't something, I am getting a list of 150+ items tomorrow morning. Gotta be something in it !
    Loads of scale plastic Hasegawa kits for a start ... a few Tamiya armour maybe ...
    I should have got it online by 10.30 or so ..... :D
    I want to stock up on some Mega or Kontronik brushless motors myself - maybe a new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

coolwings wrote:
    I should have got it online by 10.30 or so ..... :D

Webmaster talk for "in the next month if you're lucky"!

coolwings wrote:
    Keep working on it.
    A couple hundred on tickets for a holiday in the sun buys a lot of brownie points !!!!!! :D

Maybe for most but not for me..
    I think I married a bloody eskimo..! She loves the cold and hates the sun.:rolleyes:

vectra wrote:
    Maybe for most but not for me..
    I think I married a bloody eskimo..! She loves the cold and hates the sun.:rolleyes:
    Also hate too much sun:(

Coolwings: Will green hobby start doing Traxxas?

• Advertisement

Plug wrote:
    ...Coolwings: Will green hobby start doing Traxxas?
    Hi plug - Happy Xmas - Didn't hook up with Traxxas last year (considered it but decided against for time being - Traxxas were changing Euro distribution or something) but due to review again in Feb.
    Fobia wrote:
    Webmaster talk for "in the next month if you're lucky"!
    Would you be talking from personal experience there Fobia ? :-)

Thinks: Next month ... hah ... more like six weeks if they only knew !

Well I got my Specter up and running today, its tough to get going but once its going it runs very well, I'm being running it in very easily so haven't got to see what it can do just yet but seems nifty and very responsive.

The on roader: well the father has taken to putting it together he's a retired mechanic so insisted that he was going to do it!

But it seems to be a lof effort to get the throttle and steering put together, I think RTR is the way to go.

irish1 wrote:
    Well I got my Specter up and running today, its tough to get going but once its going it runs very well, I'm being running it in very easily so haven't got to see what it can do just yet but seems nifty and very responsive.
    Any newbie is going to find a new engine to start, everyone will go through that;)
    The on roader: well the father has taken to putting it together he's a retired mechanic so insisted that he was going to do it!

But it seems to be a lof effort to get the throttle and steering put together, I think RTR is the way to go.
    A bit of advice, set up the linkages so they are just ready to be put in place on the servo thenturn on the transmitter and reciver and centre the two servos by the trims(on the tansmitter). When thats done turn of the power, aline the front wheels straight and put the carburetter at rest and the brakes at rest. When thats all done put the servo arms on the servos and there you go;)

Ok I have got the build finished and will get it going at weekend, I had a little accident with my Specter though, hit a stone and broke the plastic piece that joing ths front wheel to the center piece, I have it cable tied for the minute but will need to get it fixed looks like a big job though, I expected it to take a knock a little better tbh, also the engine seems to rev in and out before it takes off every now and again.

When you say rev in and out... you mean the revs go up a bitwhen the motor is idling ? if so she might be running a bit lean on the bottom end. Make sure you see smoke no matter what speed/revs the motor is running at. It wont do any harm to richen the low speed needle a tad.

ah that makes sense beacause I only see smoke after it starts moving fast.

I'll post up pics of the specter later to see if people can suggest a fix, seems quite difficult to replace the whole piece.

Cheers tallus

Just remember that the engine will not be damaged by running too rich, but by running to lean it's very possible to inflict damage, as the oil in the fuel is your engine lubricant.

tallus wrote:
    Just remember that the engine will not be damaged by running too rich, but by running to lean it's very possible to inflict damage, as the oil in the fuel is your engine lubricant.
    You can do as bad damage as running too rich;)

@Coolwings: i noticed green hobby have a team losi model, do you stock the spares for the mini-t aswel?

Plug wrote:
    You can do as bad damage as running too rich;)
    How so Plug? Mine will only cut out if it's too rich. Only hassle I had running a motor rich was when breaking in, soft seizes. Nothing more serious than that tho.

• Advertisement

Engine sleve dosen't expand fully, conrod snaps, this is more of a problem in high performance engines tho where very high commpression is needed to run;)

Advertisement