Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on first RC Car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Ok point taken, tho I'd say it's less likely to happen with a run of the mill model. I'd be more inclined to run a bit rich where's there's less likelyhood of engine seizing. Especially when I dont race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

tallus wrote:
    Ok point taken, tho I'd say it's less likely to happen with a run of the mill model. I'd be more inclined to run a bit rich where's there's less likelyhood of engine seizing. Especially when I dont race.
    Yeah thats true alright, lesss likely to happen but still does at times, espically newbie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I bought my 1st on-road 1/10th touring car before xmas. just finished spraying the shell lastnight.
    it's a Serpent 720 with MEGA engine. I've never raced R/C before but a few of my mates are getting into it so we all splashed out! Hopefully get some practice this weekend :D
    pics attached :) Just missing the rear wing.

Looking good nikimere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looking very good..
    Where you gonna race them ? St. Annes Park?

• Advertisement

Very nice car for a first;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok so time for an update:

Firstly anyone who wants to get their first nitro model, I would advise a RTR (ready to run) off road model.

Now I have got both my on roader and off roader running, took a long longer to get the on roader going than I thought, final adjustments for idle position were tough but I have learned a lot during the process. Running it slowly and nicely.

Now my Specter is sick, firstly I hit a rock and broke the front axle I guess you could call it pic attached. But also its very hard to start and I ran it in very well, when I pull the pull start now it is a lot more free than it was i.e. instead of getting 7 or 8 clicks as I pull it I only get 2 or 3 sometimes???

I have cable tied the front and its working ok but obviously I would like to get it fixed in time properly. I also need to get rechargeable batteries and charger.

I have attached pics, can people have a look and see if you can see how I can fix the front or tell me how much a replacment part would cost.

Finally thanks for all the help and information, people were definitely right were they told me to got for the off roader much more places to use and fun, but I do like the sideways action on the on roader.

Thanks again.

Breakages are all part of the fun..;) ( The Expensive part :rolleyes: )

Anyway.
    Glad you got sorted in the end, A bit of practice and a little bit easier on the throttle will make life easier ( And Cheaper ) until you get the hang of them.

Right.
    Quick question for you.
    Do you find the onroader a little difficult to keep in a straight line?
    Only asking as i think I may have noticed something in your pic that I wont stress on as i will only get you going into thinking allsorts.
    If it handles ok then I will say nothing.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

nice cars. it loks like you went bashing with no body on the specter :D
    It will cost a few euro to replace, not much :)

vectra wrote:
    Breakages are all part of the fun..;) ( The Expensive part :rolleyes: )

Anyway.
    Glad you got sorted in the end, A bit of practice and a little bit easier on the throttle will make life easier ( And Cheaper ) until you get the hang of them.

Right.
    Quick question for you.
    Do you find the onroader a little difficult to keep in a straight line?
    Only asking as i think I may have noticed something in your pic that I wont stress on as i will only get you going into thinking allsorts.
    If it handles ok then I will say nothing.. :D
    I haven't really used the on roader on the ground yet I was running it in on a block, but I did notice one of the wheels looks to be off center if thats what your referring to. I take it that won't be too dificult to sort???

Any idea how much it will cost me to fix the specter??.

Thanks for the speedy replys.

• Advertisement

Shouldnt cost more than a few euro to sort the breakages out. ( Well ,,, Within reason anyway ) €20 give or take. ;)

I wont say anything about the car until you drive it and tel me how easy you can keep it in a straight line as it may be just an illusion.
    Now, One thing though.. Is the tyre on the right front not glued on properly?

I'm sure green model will have spares, it doesn't look like an expensive part tbh. You should see how many times I smashed up the front end of my hyper, I got slagged on this forum for being a bad driver ! I stocked up on spare suspension front end bits mainly.
    After a few bashes you'll find out what parts are more likely to break and then you will know what spares to buy.

I have given up on my stormracer as I can't simply 'stock up' on fuel tanks which cost 15 euro a peice :eek: and They brake nearly every time it is driven... Thank god I have the rustler to do me now:D

Do you have the newest model of the rustler?
    :EDIT: €15 for a tank?:eek:

Flunked wrote:
    I have given up on my stormracer as I can't simply 'stock up' on fuel tanks which cost 15 euro a peice :eek: and They brake nearly every time it is driven... Thank god I have the rustler to do me now:D

Can you not fit a tank from something else to it?

A cadet bottle with the right holes in it is grand and 250cc aswel;)

That's weird my stormracer tank was fine, tho the bodyshell wasn't when i crashed it ! 'nuff said lol

vectra wrote:
    Shouldnt cost more than a few euro to sort the breakages out. ( Well ,,, Within reason anyway ) €20 give or take. ;)

I wont say anything about the car until you drive it and tel me how easy you can keep it in a straight line as it may be just an illusion.
    Now, One thing though.. Is the tyre on the right front not glued on properly?
    Yea need to glue it on properly, will have a go driving it in a few minutes.

enjoy it;)
    I am trying to find out details of the rs4 tank which should fit but I think it is mounted differntly

/me hides his rs4

• Advertisement

Well its not behaving well at all, steering is going to the right but my biggest problem is the back wheels are spinning before the front so if you go for fast acceleration is does goes around in a circle.

Specter seems to be running well since I changed the low end to be a bit leaner, I may have it too lean now though getting a lot of smoke and down on power. Still hard to start but running well, had great for with it this evening.

Also I need to get a rechargable battery setup going buying batteries is just crazy, anyone got any advice on which ones to get or got a link to somewhere cheap to buy?

I think I need to leave both into somewhere and get them running properly especially the on roader, would greenhobby charge much for this do you think?

irish1 wrote:
    Well its not behaving well at all, steering is going to the right but my biggest problem is the back wheels are spinning before the front so if you go for fast acceleration is does goes around in a circle.

How do you know the rear wheels spin faster than the front ? By any chance does the rear of the car shoot to the right when accelerating ?
    irish1 wrote:
    I think I need to leave both into somewhere and get them running properly especially the on roader, would greenhobby charge much for this do you think?

I wouldnt think they would be hard on you especially as to the fact that you bought them there. I remember Coolwings saying one time that this is the sole reason as to why he reccomends buying from a local hobby shop... !! ;) Backup and customer service I think it is called.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

irish1 wrote:
    ...I think I need to leave both into somewhere and get them running properly especially the on roader, would greenhobby charge much for this do you think?

Vectra is right.
    For the first couple of weeks after purchase from Green Hobby they re-tune for no cost. Usually (time allowing so busy Sat is a bad day for this) they will also try to tune it in front of you so you "can pick up the tuning knack". :)
    (But you will probably be buying a new glowplug or two on account of the running in period is hard on the glowplugs...)

coolwings wrote:
    (But you will probably be buying a new glowplug or two on account of the running in period is hard on the glowplugs...)

And wishbones as inexperience is hard on those as well :D

I call it "wishboneitis" I have suffered greatly from it in the past. :D

Cen models are the same deal, they always break.

Plug wrote:
    Cen models are the same deal, they always break.

Cant beat a good set of RPM's eh.Plug? :D

they all break when they hit kerbs :)

vectra wrote:
    Cant beat a good set of RPM's eh.Plug? :D
    Exactly, the traxxas ones are strong, but RPM are "bulletproof" as the americans say:D
    *Fireworks*
    2000th post!
    *Fireworks*
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

vectra wrote:
    Looking very good..
    Where you gonna race them ? St. Annes Park?
    Yep, St.Annes. I didn't get to go this weekend as the track didn't dry out properly. Have to wait for another weekend...

@Irish1: I think your car (on roader) needs to be setup, your wheels are pointing all sorts of directions. Maybe change the diff settings (oil in the case of my car) to make the rear slip a little more. Would be my suggestion but i'm only new to R/C stuff :)
    Also for anyone who wants to be able to understand their car i would NOT recommend buying a RTR (ready to run) car, you learn so much from building the cars yourself and its fun too :)

Advertisement