Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old Yorkie - not toilet trained

Options
  • 27-12-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a 10 month old Yorkie which has not been toilet trained.
    She has her bed in the Kitchen.
    We put paper down in the next room and she habitually pees and poos there.
    I have recently tried to put the paper down elsewhere in an effort to move it slowly nearer the back door, but she will still go in the spot where she is used to.
    I know we should have trained her earlier but it all hope lost? or can she still be trained.
    PLEASE HELP! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would suggest bringing her outside to the garden ( assuming you have one ) at regular intervals especially first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Keep an eye on her and when she goes to the toilet praise her and reward her with a tit-bit. In time she'll associate going to the loo outside with a reward and will continue with the habit. It will take a little time and patience, but young dogs learn fairly fast through repetition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think its probably the smell of her pee and poo that is making her go in the same spot. Clean the area very well and see if that stops her going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

As Ruu says, its probably smell, you may not be able to smell it yourself, but she can.

Make a paste of BIOLOGICAL washing powder (dont use non-bio, its useless for this purpose), and wash the area with it. Make sure she knows where the newspaper is now, then pray she associated the paper itself with toilet.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Thanks guys,
    Fingers crossed, thank god for floor tiles

Advertisement