Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belkin wireless router disaster

• 27-12-2006 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Please bare with me as I've never attempted anything like this before.

I have recently bought an Advent laptop and a Belkin "adsl modem with wireless G router" (f5d7632-4). My aim was to have the Belkin router connected via ethernet to my PC, and then have my laptop connect to the internet wirelessly throughout the house.

I set it up and have gotten online with my pc. I used the settings that I got off the UTV internet site:

Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC

The problem:
    My laptop has not once picked up the wireless signal! My PC has a wireless card so I checked to see if it could pick up a signal and it did, with the router about 3 ft away there is a 3 bar signal strength. Isnt this weak?

There is no technical problem with the router because i went to pc world and told them my problem and they replaced it. So this is my 2nd routher and I've had the same issues with both.

Could someone advise me on settings i might change?
    my laptop has an intel pro/wireless 2200bg network connection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

turn off all security on the router first and see can you get a connection

Are you using Windows or the Intel utility to connect from the Laptop ?
    if using the Intel utility you have to set up a profile for eac connection for it to work properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi thanks i will turn off security now.

I am using the normal windows utility to try to find the signal.

With my firewall off, my pc still finds the network but still no luck with my laptop.

Is there any way for me to verify that my wireless card in my laptop does actually work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

try disabling > then enabling the device in device Manager

Antenna in alptop could be knackered

Some laptops have a function key ( eg Dell Fn F2 to turn wireless on and off)
    others have a physical switch ,

The ones with the switch ( if switched off !) .......in Device manager everthing will look normal except it won't find anything , what the exact model of laptop ?

jesus christ the f*cking wireless was turned off. I was looking for a physical button but never looked at the bloody keyboard.

lol I knew i was an idiot.

Thanks a billion for your help! you've made me embarrassed but extremely happy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement