Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

football books

• 27-12-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm looking for any well informed recommendations on books to read.

These are the books I've read or am in the middle of reading that I'd highly recommend anyone to read and I'm looking for others in a similar vein if anyone can help.

Those Feet by David Winner

Brilliant Orange by David Winner

Morbo by Phil Ball

Calcio by John Foot

Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew

Tor by Ulrich Hesse-Lichtenberger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Got the Great Man's autobio for the xmas, the fact that it's ghost-written by Vincent Hogan should mean it's a better read than the usual bolllox this genre produces.

One of the best I read was Townsends way back when.

Friday Night Lights for a good perspective on US college football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

'My Father and Other Working-Class Football Heroes' by Gary Imlach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Have recently read the Pele autobiography. Signed copy.

Not a bad read if u want to know his full history but can be a bit heavy on his ego at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hand of God by Jimmy Burns.

A Season in Verona by Tim Parks.

Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football by Jonathan Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Zebra3 wrote:

Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football by Jonathan Wilson.

Reading that now, a few too many names thrown in but good all the same.

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe Mcginniss is a fantastic view of Italian football.

Dynamo: Triumph and Tragedy in Nazi-Occupied Kiev by Andy Dougan is good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

White Storm, a history of Real Madrid, is essential reading for anyone who has read Jimmy Burns' "Barca; A People's Passion" hero-worship effort. Read it before it's too late, and you get to the point where you are appalled by the very thought that anyone could dislike Barcelona.

Football Against The Enemy has to be done as well.

Advertisement