Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bernard Dunne fighting on the 25th March in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whoever Dunne fights I'm sure his management will have closely studied them so he will not be of any real threat to Bernard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

micheal hunter would be the best fight but they might pick an easier fight for this 1 though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mickoo wrote:
    Micheal hunter would be the best fight but they might pick an easier fight for this 1 though..

Hunter's moving up , he apparently has weight problems .
    I doubt Hunter's team would accept any offer even if he didn't have weight problems , Hunter was thoroughly exposed by Steve Molitor and Hunter squeezed past Pickering by mixed decision(being knocked down twice in the process) while Dunne totally outboxed Pickering .

I expect Hunter to win the British featherweight title soon enough , it's currently in the hands of John Simpson(a very weak holder who won the title on cuts) .

Big ears. Is Simpson the guy who boxed there very recently on the Harrisson V Williams undercard. The fight was stopped on cuts. I thought both he and his opponent were top class. Very heavy and fast punching Feathers!!!

walshb wrote:
    Big ears. Is Simpson the guy who boxed there very recently on the Harrisson V Williams undercard. The fight was stopped on cuts. I thought both he and his opponent were top class. Very heavy and fast punching Feathers!!!

Ya that's the guy , don't get me wrong both of those guys are hard working resonable pro's but Simpson isn't really British champ level(even though he has the belt) , Morris is .
    Simpson was beaten by Stephen Foster jnr(a guy I really don't rate) who in turn was totally outboxed by Derry Matthews , Matthews is still really only a prospect learning his trade and I won't expect him to go past European level even when he does mature .

Simpson was unlucky earlier in his career in a loss for the British title to Dazzo Williams , Williams was then destroyed in two rounds by Nicky Cook .

Morris is someone who could go somewhere , but he's already small for a feather and struggles at the weight meaning it mightn't be that long before he moves to Super Featherweight and he'll be absolutely tiny up there .

Simpson was already but comprehensively by Morris and I believe Morris was on his way to victory again .

Hunter has very long arms and would be able to out jab Simpson quite easily , Simpson doesn't really have much power so he won't be able to knock Hunter out . I'd expect Hunter to win a wide decision over Simpson .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mel123

When (or have) tickets gone on sale for this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

Is it about time Bernard stepped in and pressured with aggressive combinations when his opponent gets in trouble? Later on in his career with guys with rock chins and grease lightning evasion tactics he is not going to have the luxury of standing back cherry picking his punches.
    Don't get me wrong, he has done excellently so far, but surely these fights are the ultimate training ground towards winning a world title.

Also has anyone else noticed that Bernard leaves himself wide open when he goes with that hip swinged left to the body. He throws it from a leaning back stance. He did not do it so much against Pickering, but it plain will not work against a quick Puerto Rican, if a boxer has the reactions to evade and step in with a staight right it could be knockout time. From that leaning back stance he is off balance.

Dunne is a good fighter and we should be proud, but he is not in the elite league and never will be because of his inability to really put away a troubled fighter, because of his not so stellar chin and even his suspect stamina. He has been fed a string of very ordinary beatable opponents.

Good post Walsheb, but the crying shame is that I think he has the ability to put away troubled opponents. Example against Pickering, if Dunne was told, you have to knock him out, your behind on points you have the last three rounds to do it. I reckon Pickering would have came in for an unbelievable onslaught of head shots. One impressive thing about Dunne is that when you do see him go for the kill he does not miss with too many of the power shots to the head. You see so many fighters miss with 60%+ of their punches, only wearing themselves out.
    He has considerable power for a bantamweight. He should be aiming to avoid trouble for the first four rounds, then bring on as much pressure as possible in rounds 5-8. He does have suspect stamina, he tends to fade in the last half of a fight.

Actually compared to the other top guys at Super Bantamweight Bernard is a fairly modest hitter , Ponce De Leon(WBO champ) is an awesome hitter and realies on his punch to win fights , his skills are fairly poor and he can be outboxed easily enough but my god can the man hit . Israel Vasquez(WBC and the Ring champ) 'the man' in the division is also a very big hitter , so is Celistino Cabbellero although not quite to the same level as Vasquez but that didn't stop him from flooring the iron chinned That Sithchatchawl 3 times and stopping him to win the WBA title . Steve Molitor looked the light hitter among the top in the division but he's won his last 3 by stoppage and looked like he had a decent punch in flooring Michael Hunter twice and stopping him in 5 to win the IBF title .

The man considered to be the p4p hardest puncher in the sport IBF/IBO Bantamweight champion Rafael Marquez is moving up to Super Bantamweight to take on Israel Vasquez , I fancy him to carry his power up and stop Vasquez .

That means that the elite of the division all punch much much harder than Bernard , bar maybe Molitor but on recent showing it looks like he can punch a bit . At the higher level Dunne is going to have to box slightly cautious as he does because these guys are all huge puncher and Dunne's chin does have serious question marks . I believe Bernard may win a world title someday but he won't become universally recognized as divisions real champion or be accepted as the number 1 in the division . Currently he's got to look at Molitor but as things stand I think the Canadian has too much for him , he's very slick and the manner with which he dealt with Hunter would make me have him a 60/40 favourite over Dunne .

• Advertisement

About four or five fights ago, Dunne took a right hand late in a round. He was lucky it was late in the round, because he was almost knocked out. But watching the replay there wasn't all that much on it.
    He has a skinny neck and a skeletal face, so don't think he has much muscular or cushioning resistance to any sort of decent punch.
    They did some scientific research on it, there are two things can happen, your brain can get accelerated from a punch anywhere on the head, as a result lights out. Other one is punch on side of jaw, there is a natural reflex for body to cut off either an oxygen or blood supply channel and again lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 barrykil

hey pj,i saw that punch up close and it was a humdinger.
    dont forget,voronin is a genuine banger as well as being a bull strong and tough featherweight.and dunne toyed with him.
    remember the nightmare nicky cook had with him!!!
    bernard has better boxing ability than most of the top super-bantams in the world.hecan be a masterful boxer.but i do worry about his physical strength at top level,hes so skinny!

i wonder could he make bantam

When Pickering got in the ring, it was hard to think that both boxers were in the same weight division. I don't know how Pickering weighed in same as Dunne. I reckon Pickering must have starved and drank nothing for the weigh in.

oh theres no doubt about it pj.
    fact is, that with day before weigh in's most pros are working their bodys really hard to make weight.
    esham pickering campaigned as a bantam earlier in his career and eventually reached the enevitabe point where he just couldnt make weight and still compete and moved a few pounds north.
    but bernard on the other hand turned pro and boxed most of his fights as a featherweight before only recently taking off the few pounds.
    if someone didnt know,and were just looking at both mens records and weight history,you'd have assumed bernard was the BIGGER man.
    and we all know thats not the case.
    my point is this,ive heard bernard still makes weight no problem!!
    perhaps a bit more sacrifice and struggle by bernard might be worth the benifit (providing he can do it safely of course,..his health is paramount)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote:
    Dunne is a good fighter and we should be proud, but he is not in the elite league and never will be because of his inability to really put away a troubled fighter, because of his not so stellar chin and even his suspect stamina. He has been fed a string of very ordinary beatable opponents.
    B i dont know if you've seen much of bernard but he actually has a good chin. sometimes because of cockiness he gets caught cold but this is good experience for him-at the moment he's just show boating but i believe this will stop when his opponents improve-in his last fight it was not dunnes lack of stamina but more pickerings amazing stamina that was well talked about before the fight. i won money on dunne winning in 12 cause i knew he'd dominate but pickering would survive 12-catch u later

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I was hoping Pickering would really test Dunne, but I really thought he was very poor. He had nothing to offer and looked more interested in pure survival.
    Most quality guys would have KO'd or TKO'd the guy. I just think Dunne lacks that real killer quality, because there were times when he really opened up, but he could not sustain his attack. As for his chin, did that Russian guy who also was not much to look at not have Bernard in serious trouble in the 10th round, with lets be honest, a decent punch, hardly real KO material. Bernard's reccuperative powers were nowhere to be seen.

I really would like to see him step up in class, all I've seen so far is hime being fed poor quality fighters. He is being seriously protected or else the division just stinks. I'm thinking the former is the case. Surely in all of Latin America there are guys that can really test him. Bernard is 26 now?, if he hasn't made it now, there's little chance of him winning anything of real merit. The light divisions are generally ruled by the younger faster fighters. Age is the real threat for the lighter guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Potcher

When or where are tickets on sale for this?

does anyone know bout tickets????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

on sale on Ticketmaster form this Friday I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Friday at 9am according to an ad in the paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

According to the EBU Website the next in line challenger is a Spanish guy Kiko Martinez (Record of F15, W15, Ko12) - not sure if it is manditory though.

If we assume that Dunne will be able for his next opponent at the Point ON March 25th. Which will be a sell out show. What do people see as being his next move?
    How about this for a show, Amir Khan going for World title, paired with Bernard Dunne going for World title in Croke Park.
    Hold it at Halloween when Croker is quiet.
    Call it "fright nights big fight night".
    It gives Dunne and Khan time to have a warmup fight beforehand in July.
    You could also have approaches made to Joe Calzaghe, John Duddy, Nicolay Valuev. Ideal schedule would pickup viewers in USA, Ireland and UK, miscellaneous world interest.
    Dream schedule
    09:00 Khan for title against American
    10:00 Valuev defends vs. McBride
    11:00 Dunne for title against American
    12:00 Calzaghe/American defends against John Duddy

I know I would go just to see Valuev.
    You could have tickets at minimum price 50euro for the hill (not sure if standing allowed). 70 euro seated. 150 euro premium.
    Dunne, Valuev, Calzaghe, Duddy interviews and publcity in the month before the fight would sellout the last 10,000 tickets. Similar to Croke Park floodlights night, as soon as people hear of loads of other people going they then pick up interest themselves.

thanks for info on tickets pj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭delrun

Bernard Dunne vs Yerson Jailauov (European title)

Matthew Macklin vs Jason McKay (Irish middleweight title)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Jailouv- who is this guy?
    Any good??

He's not a bad fighter,lost last year to Hunter in a controversial stoppage.Good test for dunne but he should put him away in later rounds.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=027771

Jailouev was giving Hunter some problems(from his very awkward style) but Hunter was finding him relatively easily when it was stopped(prematurely) .

Boxrec might say he's 5'5 1/2 but he's actually a bit smaller and also fights out of a crouched style making him almost midget like . Dunne's vastly superior speed , reach and general skill will make this a nice easy nights work . Dunne within 4 in a fight which will set him up for a much tougher test against Kiko Martinez .

Full Lineup (subject to change)

• Bernard Dunne V Yersin Jailauov - European Super Bantamweight Title (12 Rounds)

• Matthew Macklin V Jason McKay - Irish Middleweight Title (10 Rounds)

• Neil Sinclair V Francis Jones - Welterweight contest (8 Rounds)

• Stephen Haughian V Chill John - Light Welterweight contest (8 Rounds)

• Scott Belshaw V To Be Confirmed - Heavyweight contest (4 Rounds)

• Lukasz Wawrzyczek V To Be Confirmed - Middleweight contest (8 Rounds)

• Paul Truscott V To Be Confirmed - Featherweight contest (8 Rounds)

• Advertisement

Checked at 11am with ticketmaster and only €90 & €130 tickets available.

i got mine yesterday-should be good-sinclair is good to watch so thats an added bonus..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eimear_no6

hey, what time you think main fight starting at? i havnt clue, buying tickets as present but have match and wont b up till 7.30 ish.... that enough time?? what time these things finish at? clueless!!

i'd sy you'll be safe enough-i'd imagine it will start at about 8.30 or thereabouts..i cant wait for this night..

Matthew Macklin & Neil Sinclair both out with injuries for the 25th.

Hopefully his fight isn't as monotonous as his interview with Pat Kenny on Friday..me me me me me me me me me

• Advertisement

what were ya expectin Bernard to talk about,the middle east? genetically modified foods maybe??
    hey Eimear id imagine 7.30 will be well in time. shame Matt Macklin and Sinclair are out.anybody heard anything about replacements?
    Bernard should win in about 7.

Ah you musn't understand fully. It wasn't the fact he was talking about himself, it was the manner in which he was doing it. The cockiness and attempted shownamship, he just cannot pull it off. It came across as desperate. He really waffles and constantly is trying to portray himself as the best of the best. Ali could do it, because it was fun and games and Ali was the Greatest. Bernard is quite average, has yet to really do anything of merit and he's cackling on like he is the greatest fighter on earth. He should relax a little, be happy at what he has achieved and not make out how 'brilliant' he is or thinks he is. Because he still hasn't proved or came close to proving.

I hope he still does well and want him to, but leave the greatest claims to those who are great.

Just read up on Bernard's opponent. Another hand picked weak opponent.
    Is this the best Europe has?

i dont remember him claiming to be brilliant or the greatest anything?
    if you think he sounds "desperate".....well thats your opinion.personally i dont have a clue what your on about.
    are you a boxing fan?
    have you ever actually put on gloves?
    to call him average is just ridiculous.dunne was a "brilliant" amateur,MY words not his.and to say he`s acheived nothing!!!! the european title is a real title,not some alphabet trinket,
    what is it about bernard dunne that gets your back up?? is it his confidence,a good fighter needs to be confident?
    his "showmanship"....bernard doesnt taunt opponents,he plays to the crowd,HIS crowd...........something tells me your not one of us,..i just dont understand why?

I certainly am 'one of you'. I boxed for many years and watched Bernard as an amateur. He never lost in Ireland and his record is superb. All credit to him. As far as the amateur ranks go, he rates in the top 5 maybe ever in Ireland. But to say he is anything better than average/good as a pro is off the mark, in my opinion anyway. He has beat absolute nobody that I have seen who would be top class. Pickering is the best name on his record and Pickering was useless, well at least the night he fought Bernard. Bernard still did the business, but his lack of a punch, suspect chin and stamina will always leave his a notch or two below world class. This man he's fighting soon lost several fights by KO/TKO, definitely does not have a punch. It is clear that Bernard is being very protected, and rightly so. I just cannot see the hype that others do. He's good, but great, NO!!!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote:
    Just read up on Bernard's opponent. Another hand picked weak opponent.
    Is this the best Europe has?

Other than Kiko Martinez(who Dunne is likely to face next) , Michael Hunter(moving up to featherweight) and Esham Pickering(beaten rather comfortably by Dunne) then yes . Other than those 3 all the other European Super Bantamweights are journeymen with built up(and sometimes not even that) records .

Other than those 3 there's no one in Europe with even the quality to take Dunne the distance .(unless Mayhar Monshipour wants to come out of retirement , now there was a European Super Bantam who could fight)

Well big ears, that's a sad state of affairs in the Super bantam division.
    I bet there's a ton of mexicans who would test Dunne severley. I know that's outside Europe, but where is Dunne going?

ah so as well as his personality, the quality of opposition puts you off ,a more understandable bee in your bonnet but...well ,yasee boxing is his livelihood now and its his managers job to make fights.its not really that hard to understand.before he has to make a mandatory defence his team can basically pick from a list.thats the business of boxing.
    his mandatory challengers will be picked by the EBU...then youl see him tackle the best europe has to offer.its not rocket science
    we`d all love to see him fighting Azumah Nelson and Rueben Olivares every time but when your looking up fighters next time look up Richard Dunn and Jean Pierre Coopman.Yasee even the GREATEST had some easy nights

yeah B.E id love to see him fight monshipour.id pick dunne to outpoint him in a thriller.i think his style would really suit Bernard.
    sorry back to walshb again,...why do you think Dunne has bad stamina,hes gone 12 only once and paced himself perfectly.he has not faded in a fight

Now you are talkng Barry. Like I said I do not blame them hand picking.
    Make it easy not hard for the guy, but don't then make out he's a great pro or world class. Until he proves it anyway. I do not expect him in with the cream of the division, because to be honest, I think he would be demolished.
    At the same time, I am not the one making him out to be great. He is, and it's going to embarrass him when he finally does step in with quality.

As for his personality. I don't think it's too bad. He certainly can talk, is a happy go lucky fella who 'seems' to ooze confidence. It just reminds me a bit too much of the Naz type hype. And look what happened him. He was totally shown up as more hype than substance. I still thisk Naz would have taken Bernard out pretty early.

barrykil wrote:
    yeah B.E id love to see him fight monshipour.id pick dunne to outpoint him in a thriller.i think his style would really suit Bernard.
    sorry back to walshb again,...why do you think Dunne has bad stamina,hes gone 12 only once and paced himself perfectly.he has not faded in a fight
    Against deplorable opposition. Against Pickering who was basically in to survive, not win. Did you see Bernard a couple years back nearly getting knocked out from that Russian fighter in the 10th round. He was all over the place.
    Do you not also think Dunne lacks the finish, where the real stamina is needed to sustain a barrage of heavy hitting to take your opponent out. If he had it, Pickering would not have lasted. Again I do not like being so critical of an Irish fighter, but it is glaringly obvious to a knowlegeable fight fan that Dunne lacks championship stamina, a stellar chin and a punch

I'd guess Dunne is going to have 2 to 3 more European title fights(Jailouev , Martinez , another resonably easy opponent) before fighting Steve Molitor for the IBF title .

As for Mexicans at Super Bantamweight , well like most low weight diviions the Mexicans play a big part , infact possibly more so in this division than any other .

You have WBC champ Rafael Marquez , huge puncher who was IBF Bantamweight champ till he moved up in his last fight to beat the universally recognized champ another Mexican Israel Vasquez . Vasquez also a huge puncher beat Oscar Larios another Mexican(then WBC champ) , while Vasquez was IBF champ(although the title wasn't on the line) and both were considered #1 and #2 in the division so the winner(Vasquez) became the man .

The WBO champ is also Mexican , and possibly the biggest puncher of the lot is Daniel Ponce De Leon . He can be outboxed but with 28 wins in 31 fights inside the distance(out of 30 wins and 1 loss) means that outboxing him for the full 12 is something extremely difficult .

WBA champ is Panamanian Celestino Caballero , the only man to beat De Leon .
    IBF champ is Molitor , destroyed Michael Hunter in 5 rounds . Thought of as the weakest puncher of the lot and seeing as he has won his last 3 fights by stoppage that says something about the division(almost all the top guys can punch , and punch very very hard)

Another big name in the division is Somsak Sithchatchawl who beat Mayhar Monshipour to win the WBa title before being stopped by Cabellero , Sithchatchawl has a good chin and a very good punch aswell as a **** load of heart .

To match any of these guys with Dunne soon would be madness , he'd be stopped pretty brutally . However I see a fight with Molitor winnable if Dunne continues down his current path and I wouldn't mind seeing that fight in 12-18 months time if Dunne has been giving an international opponent or two first .

There are plenty of decent international opposition out there and plenty that probably would be willing to travel . So i'd like to see Dunne beat Jailouev , then beat Martinez , then Tomas Rojas and finally Julio Zarate . If he could fight and beat all those guys in the next 12-14 months it would make the perfect path for him to get ready for world level .

However it is going to be a lot tougher for him in the way things actually go as Pickering and Martinez will have been his best opposition and in reality there's a huge gap between Pickering and Molitor and as for Martinez.....well he's still really a novice .

of course theres lots of mexicans out there who`d give him trouble,asians too,a venezualian ...so what!
    wheres he going???? he`s said constantly that his team plan for him to defend the european a few times before challenging for one of the world titles.
    i can name a few boxers who would probably seperate Bernard from his senses.BIG DEAL
    i could also name a few "world champions" that Dunne could outbox.
    who knows where his career will end?
    but dont doubt for a second that Dunne wants to face the worlds best,but so much of a successful challenge is about timing.

the european champion is a skinny little lad from neilstown for christsake ...
    judge and rate him at the end of his career,support him NOW

Great post big ears. Extremely knowledgeable and keeping it real and in perspective. Barry, I do support Dunne and will always cheer him. I just think he is not and never will be a true world champion, not by a long shot. Also, big ears, surely Dunne at 26 now is getting on a bit to be biding his time. It's the lower weights where the young guys reign. So Bernard is out of time I feel. You said another few fights, say 18 months to two years and he will be at world level. I think he will be too old at that stage and stale from all those years making the weight

walsh we really know nothing of his championship stamina.hes been12 rounds ONCE.his chin? ..well as i said before i was only feet away when he got clocked by voronin.IT WAS A RIGHT WHACK....i heard it.Dunne was hurt,no doubt.but with 10 rounds on his legs remember,...he stayed up,with his eyes on voronin...........now i know,Jake La Motta he will never be but it was admirable the way he survived............if there was 2 rounds to go?????
    WHO KNOWS...that would be the only way to have found out about his recuperative powers. and Voronin was a BIG featherweight with a punchers record,remember the trouble he gave EBU FEATHERWEIGHT champ nicky cook.
    of course youd pick Hamed to KO Dunne.HAmed was a Featherweight too and an absolute legend of a puncher

• Advertisement
Advertisement