Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc build for 1500?

Options
  • 27-12-2006 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi people. A friend of mine is looking to order parts for a new pc and needs help with the build. I'm not really clued up on the latest so some suggestions would be great. His budget is around 1500 maybe a little more.

I assume a core 2 duo and nv8800 is the way to go with a nice sli board and 2 gigs of ram. Need recomendations on all parts inc case, psu and heatsinks ect if you can. Cheers.

Wrong forum, pming mod to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

eVGA NVidia 680i
    Core Duo E6600
    Seasonic S12 600W at least
    nVidia 8800GTS or gtx
    raptor performs better for games and single 320GB drive @ 7200rpm
    or
    2xSATA 320GB drives @ 7200rpm
    2gb of cell shok p6400

around that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Core 2 E6600
    Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler or Zalman 9500
    8800GTX or 8800GTS if over budget though personally I would sacrifice other areas for the GTX.
    2GB of DDR-2 667
    20" or greater 1680x1050 widescreen display
    Soundblaster X-Fi
    Seasonic M12 600W

Hard drives;
    Lots of cash left Western Digital Raptor 150 as main drive plus other HD's for storage.

Not much cash Western Digital SE16 as primary drive plus anything else HD wise for storage, Samsung Spinpoint's are nice & quiet I find.

Motherboard;
    MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition - if not going to ever make use of SLI get this.

If you are going to use SLI get
    eVGA 680i motherboard - be aware there is a nasty SATA bug in these that they only just fixed via bios updates so use the latest bios before installing Windows.

Alternatively get a PCI-e SATA controller and dont use the NVIDIA SATA altogether, you get better performance and never have to worry about NVIDIA's SATA controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cheers for the info lads. Saves me having to look though benchmarks. I meant to say 1500 euro though but some corners can be cut I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

I cant see the point to buy a 300euro mobo,if you cant use all benefits it offers-you have to get WC set to get a max overclock off it ...A GOOD wc set will cost you another 170-250euro......

I would get http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-108-AB and add 100e to get nice 8800 card....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Awhir and 828. Your respective builds if you take the cheap options you spec. come in at almost 1800 and 2200 euro. The budget is 1500 euro or slighly higher.

The man would be clearly better off buying a Dell 9200 system under 1500 euro from a value per money point of view. If he wants to build himself, then clearly a slower cpu he can overclock, cheaper mobo (no point in 680i) would be much better options.

Bloodbath - if your pal has not got a system by end Jan, give me a shout enf . and I will be able to fix you up with cpu,mobo,memory,case and psu for less then what you can get it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cheers flaccus. I wouldn't recommend a dell to him though and I don't think he'd get one anyway. I'm not too sure when he's ordering but there's enough good suggestions here. It's up to him how much he wants to spend. I'll let him know your selling parts at the end of the month.

Advertisement