Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Tamper Reset

Options
  • 27-12-2006 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hiya,

In our new house we inherited an astec 63 alarm system. During rennovations I tried to relocate the base unit. In doing so I seem to have activated a tamper alarm in the unit. Doh! The message 'call engineer - code 15' is on-screen and 'tamper lid' displays when when I try to turn the alarm on. The alarm won't actually turn on because of this.

In reading the other alarm relatd threads on boards it seems that I either need my engineering code (its not the default) or tp do a factory reset. It's unlikely that I can get the code as there isn't even an installers sticker/number on the unit, and the previous owners are long gone. So would anyone have any info on factory reseting? I have the PCB exposed at this stage.

PM, if that's more appropriate. I really appreciate any help here, I am reluctant to pay 100 euro for a call out just to take a jumper on/off and power cycle if that's all that is required.

Thanks a mill for any help.

Cheers,
    -mem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

If you haven't got the Eng code and don't know anything about the alarm it's best to buy a new control box and start from scratch again.

Then at least you can maintain the alarm. You'll get a good HKC for €130 and wiring it is straightforward

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have an Astec and any time I have changed or moved sensors, the tamper auto clears once the sensors are put back in place. Don't know if its the same for the main box, but I would have thought that once the cover is replaced that the tamper would clear, could it be that the cover is not being replaced properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

On the left side of the panel beside where the screw from the lid goes there's a small hole. In there is the tamper switch, on the lid there's a plastic leg that goes in there when the lid is on correctly. If for some reason you cant get it to close use a rawl plug to press in the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

Is there anywhere that has an manual for this alarm?

Mine has had a bell fault for a while, but the wiring has been checked as OK. I've stripped and reconnected the sounder wiring at the board, powered it fully down for a while and turned it back on. So-far-so-good, however I'd like to know more about it.

Does Astec still exist?

Ta.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

b318isp wrote:
    Does Astec still exist?
    They do indeed:
    Astec Alarm Manufacturing
    Tel: 01 6704202
    3 IDA cntr Pearse Street, DUBLIN 2, DUBLIN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Thanks for the suggestions. I put everything back together _really_ carefully and hey presto, tamper was reset. That'll teach me for being so gung ho in future.

Here's a link to the service manual:

http://www.cualasecurity.com/astec_usr_manual.pdf

Cheers,
    -mem

Advertisement