Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the law regarding a car parked on the footpath outside a house?

Options
  • 27-12-2006 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to check what the law is regarding a parked car nearly fully on a pedestrian footpath outside someones house?
    There has been a small red car left there since the 24th and no one knows who own it.

The guards are not interested, they say they cannot do anything.

I went out earlier on and the NCT and insurance is out by a yr 12-05 for insurance, 03-05 for NCT, but yet the tax is 11-06.

The guards said they came out to look. Would they have not seen this?

Anyone know what can be done?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's illegal:

Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;
    ( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;
    ( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;
    ( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;
    ( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;
    ( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;
    ( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;
    ( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—
    (i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];
    (ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or
    (iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;
    ( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;
    ( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;
    ( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 stop; or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Theres a few things you can do. Although posting here mightnt be a good idea! What car is it and hold old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

96 reg car. I will be carefull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Take off the reg and they'll tow it away..

Oh I know about that one. :)

But is there any other way this car can be removed?
    I've informed the guards that it has no current insurance, tax and NCT.

Is that not enough to remove the car.
    The guards seem to say the owner is not from Dublin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They have all they need to tow the vehicle away; it just sounds like they're being lazy. I had an abandoned car in my driveway before, ended up having the landlord come round, break into the car and move it down the street to the turning area(totally illegal btw). Some time after it was moved, kids started smashing the windows, then climbing in and playing in it. It was weeks and weeks after that, that the gardaí finally decided it might be a danger and decided to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Spanky-s wrote:
    But is there any other way this car can be removed?

Yes. Wait until the tax is out by over 3 months. The Gardai can then remove it without too much paperwork - if you convince them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's only been there a couple of days! It's possible whoever owns it is, for example, gone to africa or eastern europe for Christmas, and will be back to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if your estate is under the local council, then they should take it away

JHMEG wrote:
    It's only been there a couple of days! It's possible whoever owns it is, for example, gone to africa or eastern europe for Christmas, and will be back to collect it.
    Oh I couldn't care if they didn't come back for months, but the fashion this car is parked in on the footpath just suggest that they parked it drunk, with drugs or just didn't give a crap.

Not to mention them driving around on the roads this past year uninsured.

Only council we have is Dublin City Council. I don't live on/in an estate. Just on a small road with approx 30 houses.
    The owner of the car is forcing people to walk out on the road which is a danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Hypothetically speaking,
    you could cut the hand brake cable, and knock it out of gear from underneath, you know, wobble the linkages by hand until it falls into netural.

CAUTION
    At this stage you would need to be careful that the car did not run you over.

At least it could be pushed off the pavement.
    The car could be parked again in a less hazardous manner.
    Safe parking of the car in its new location could be acheived by blocking one of the wheels with a medium sized stone or piece of wood.

Hypothetically speaking, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Many MANY people would suggest that you merely take the plates off of it (....without being caught doing so of course ;)) then the gardai will have it towed away v quickly.
    Otherwise it will be left to the council to remove it....and that could take a while!

Btw just an update.

Suggestions were done. :) Car now removed.

Oh that guard knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Silvera wrote:
    Many MANY people would suggest that you merely take the plates off of it (....without being caught doing so of course

"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Could have posted some flyers near your local traveller site! Free car to anyone who wants it :D
    Gone now so its fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dude! Where's my car?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

he, he , he dude where's your car :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Silvera wrote:
    Many MANY people would suggest that you merely take the plates off of it (....without being caught doing so of course ;)) then the gardai will have it towed away v quickly.
    Otherwise it will be left to the council to remove it....and that could take a while!

Dunno about that. I reported a few dodgy cars in our estate and the corpo gave me the full rundown ano what would happen next. The supposed owners would receive altter telling them to move or esle. All told I think it took less than 14 days for them to be shifted.

Advertisement