Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Music (Rock).

Options
  • 27-12-2006 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Let me state my case. I play piano, mostly rock stuff. I've loads of books with sheet music by various artists but they are all mostly rubbish, imo. The piano music is mainly for piano solo, but I'm looking for the music to the actual piano track on the original recording. For example, the printed version of Bohemian Rhapsody in the official Queen Greatest Hits sheet music book is woefully inadequate compared to what is on the recording. I can, in a lot of cases use a MIDI track and view the notation via GarageBand, but sometimes the interpretations are wide of the mark.

Anyone know a source where I could get the actual sheet music/scores for rock tunes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers & thanks. But I'm looking for something that a concert orchestra would use as a score, not an approximation. I'm quite fussy about this...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

there are 'rockscore' books available, but they can be quite expensive...

assuming you've half a musical ear, get over to www.harmonycentral.com and just get the chords for the songs you want. The hard part is that you'll have to do a bit of arrangement work yourself...but as a starting point, it's as good as you'll get

i agree with you on the inadequecy of the stuff you buy in the shop; what you tend to get is a piano 'version' of the song such that you have a bassline and a tune, as opposed to a 'singalonga' accompaniment.

'fake books' for piano are hard come by...if you find any, let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers grumpytrousers. I know what you mean by picking out the detail from the chords - that works fine for some tunes and is a lost cause for others - it depends on the tune. The thing is, I can read music quite well and can sight read to a certain extent, so it makes life easier if I have the music in front of me. After a few attempts I can usually discard the music - so it means that I can learn tunes faster with the music. Having other elements to the score is also quite handy as I play keyboards in a rock covers band and it would make life easier in that respect too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi,

Have you had any luck with finding original sheet music?
    I've been using Musicnotes, which is a very good place to start, but it has its limitations. Some of the piano arrangements are obviously simplified, or modified to add a melody line, which just doesn' t work for me. But... I like the fact that you can preview the first page, which allows you too weed out a lot of crap.

So far I haven't found much on Harmony central or 8 notes. Any news on your side?

• Advertisement
Advertisement