Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Synch Question

Options
  • 27-12-2006 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi there

Basically, I am trying to troubleshoot a broadband connection, one of the latest home plus packages from Eircom. After several attempts of the family to get it going, they called me. I've installed the same router/package several times, but this has me beat. So I just wanted an opinion given that I wear the dunce hat when it comes to the phone network.

So, I re-installed twice, and I am sure that everything PC/Router wise is ok, but the DSL still refuses to synch. Whipped off the cover of the (very old) phone socket, to find only two (orange striped) wires connected, and two (blue striped) wires NOT connected.

Question, could the socket/wiring age be the problem? I intend hiking back there tomorrow with my own router to check, but was just curious.

Cheers in advance

Rept

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know very little about BB Sync but usually if I have a problem I disconnect everything where the telephone line comes into the house and I put on my own socket and start from there. At lease you then know if its the wiring or the modem or the line to the exchange.

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reptonite

And there's me thinking I was the pessimist. Interesting. Now I've got another worry!

:P

I was actually more worried about the wiring setup given that the house is so old, my suspicion is that the wire from the phone in the house to the box is no up to the job.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it's only a recent order you should confirm with Eircom that the line is actually enabled (ie. fully setup at the exchange), before you start ripping stuff out. It could have slipped through net with all the christmas orders. Receiving the equipment is not always a guarantee the everything is setup in the exchange.

About the internal wiring, it could be causing the problem, especially if it has alot of extensions. Don't rule it out but if it was that bad it would probably have caused the BB test to fail in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reptonite

Kaizer. Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, a single pair of wires should be able to handle the lot, as there are no extentions. If this is the case, I am going to have to look elsewhere for the root cause, as Occam's Razor is saying that if the fibre is capable, then it's a problem with the machine.

Ar$e.

OK, assuming we don't have a hardware failure, (be that cable or router) what other reasons can you think of for it not acquiring an IP? As I said, assuming everything Router-down was ok?

No need to give TCP/IP settings or anything, just after possible areas. This is wrecking me fecking head.

Cheers

Rept

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

only thing really would be attenuation/noise on the line or if your line isn't patched in at the exchange (happened to me first time i got DSL here).

the only thing you can really do is run through it with one of the eircom.net phone monkeys until they run out of things to ask you to do and have no choice but to escalate the issue which will mean an on-site visit by an engineer who will do a couple of tests and then get it all sorted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

reptonite wrote:
    So, I re-installed twice,
    Rept

Basically, whether you install the PC software or not, you should still get the steady greed "DSL Synch" light on your Modem.

AFAIK, if you don't have a steady DSL Synch light (not flashing), the issue may be down to several thinks.
    1. Not yet connected. As Kaizersoze mentioned, if you've only recently got BB it may not be connected yet. I think the standard delivery time is 10 working days so if it was ordered less than 2 weeks before Christmas it may not be connected yet. Nothing you can do but wait.

2. Ensure you have DSL Microfilters fitted, including to any digital TV phone connections.

3. Old wiring. If you are tech savvy you could try Phog's suggestion, go to the nearest socket where your phone line enters the house. Disconnect everything off this socet except the incoming line and check for DSL Synch there. (Make sure you note any other connections to re-connect afterwards.)
    If you have Synch here you probably have internal wiring issues and may need a technician to resolve. If no synch here and you ordered more than 2 weeks ago, you'll have to call support.

Advertisement