Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo 1.4 vs VW Polo 1 litre

Options
  • 27-12-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi im in the process of getting a polo and deciding whether to get 1 litre or 1.4 besides the engine size what are the benefits over the two car types.
    i will be doing most driving in dublin with a few trips down the country a couple times a yr.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd go with the 1.4 - VWs are usually underpowered. There will be little difference in the 1.0 vs the 1.4 in a city driving situation, but on the long distance journeys the 1.4 would be a much better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most 1.0 litre Polos don't have power steering whereas I think it was standard on the 1.4 litre. Life will be alot easier with power steering.

The only thing though is that a 1.4 litre Polo will be more difficult to sell on than a 1.0 litre which due to the lower tax and insurance appeals to first time learner drivers. Most people in the market for a 1.4 litre car would probably be looking at a Golf size car rather than Polo.

Agree though that the 1.0 litre VW engine is gutless but adequate for city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

cool thanks, my idea is that 1.4 polos are better cause of the features thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ipodrocker wrote:
    cool thanks, my idea is that 1.4 polos are better cause of the features thanks for the info

VW Polos in Ireland are pretty basic no matter what size engine you go for. Things like central locking, electric windows and cd player were all missing from most Irish Polos up to about 5 years ago. If you want these toys your best bet is to either go for a Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza which are basically a Polo underneith anyway but cost less or else go over to the UK and get yourself a Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the later 1.2 might be a good compromise. that or an Ibiza or Fabia, where the 1.4 was more common

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

the 1.4 engine would be the 8valve(not the 16valve found in the golf) one and has 64bhp, the 1ltr would have about 50bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

colm_mcm wrote:
    the later 1.2 might be a good compromise. that or an Ibiza or Fabia, where the 1.4 was more common

this engine replaced both the 1ltr and the 1.4ltr so you would be looking a newer car to get this engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

patsyh wrote:
    this engine replaced both the 1ltr and the 1.4ltr so you would be looking a newer car to get this engine.

Granted. But a newer Fabia or Ibiza could be had for the price of an older Polo

Advertisement