Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Salman Rushdie appreciation (or not) thread

Options
  • 27-12-2006 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

I've just started reading Salman Rushdie's latest novel, Shalimar the Clown. It's been a while since I'd read anything by Rushdie up till now, and I've just remembered why I like his books so much... I think he has the most amazing prose style, and manages to pack so much energy, lyricism and eccentricity (for lack of a better word!) into each paragraph that sometime I just have to stop and admire the beauty of his sentences.

Any other thoughts on Salman Rushdie? He seems to be one of those authors/media personages that people tend to either love or hate, as much for his personality and media life as for his books... what do you think of hims or of any of his books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've (shockingly) never read any of his books. I had a chance to go to a talk with him in college but passed on it because I didn't really know who he was at the time, sorry I didn't. Anyway, what would be a good place to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

John wrote:
    I had a chance to go to a talk with him in college but passed on it because I didn't really know who he was at the time, sorry I didn't. Anyway, what would be a good place to start?

Oh no! ;) Where was he talking? My favourite one is The Ground beneath her
    feet. Will let you know in more detail about the new one when I'm finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It was in TCD 3-4 years ago. I remember there was a big hoo-ha in case someone tried to blow him up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I've never read Rushdie either, but I got one for Christmas. I can't remember which one, set (in part at least) in India? I'm looking forward to it, but something about 84 hours weeks distracts from reading, which is a shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 CharLit

ooh, i just read Shalimar! Loved it (also esp. the prose), but thought it got a bit preachy here and there. The only other one of his that I've read is the Satanic Verses, but that was years and years ago. I intend to re-read it, and others of his as well.

Reading reviews of Shalimar, the critics' consensus seemed to be that while (according to them) this is Rushdie's best in a while, magical realism is sooooo last millennium. Damn! I am an unfashionable reader :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

CharLit wrote:
    ll.

Reading reviews of Shalimar, the critics' consensus seemed to be that while (according to them) this is Rushdie's best in a while, magical realism is sooooo last millennium. Damn! I am an unfashionable reader :(

Me too, or so it seems... oh well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

CharLit wrote:

I heard that shalimar was in effect cannibalizing his earlier work, I don't know haven't read it yet. Read shame and it was amazing, but just don't have to time to read for anything other than my exams/course at the minute.

Advertisement