Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ in a mates appartment

Options
  • 28-12-2006 12:45am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I mate has a new apartment.

He's just moving in and says he is having a bbq. Any ever heard of this before?

Not sure if I'm to keen on it myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We don't judge your in your choice of friends or your social activities. ;)

Some apartment developments have dedicated BBQ areas - usually either on the roof (fire burns upwards after all) or in hte grounds. I don't know if balcony BBQs are in the rules of behavior or not, more specificly in their rules on fire, fire alarms and smoke.

But please tell him it's January, not July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

well his idea is that the cooking will be done out side and the eating drinking will be done inside.

His on the top floor and by his reckoning the smoke should clear the block before the wind movies it.

I was telling himits prob not the best thing to be doing after just moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's done properly, a barbeque shouldn't generate much smoke ;)

Is he going to use a gas or charcoal grill? Although gas are more expensive, the headaches he could save himself would be worth it IMO. There's also less chance of your drunk mate doing something stupid with lighter fluid and burning the block down.

I would advise:
    a) Buy or borrow a gas grill
    b) Invite the entire block (or at least everyone on his floor)
    c) Plan to ditch the apartment and head into town if the party starts to get very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it gas, make sure the gas canister stays outside, expecially if the building doesn't have gas heating / cooking - a leak could end up part demolishing the building as it may not be designed to withstand a gas explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

kearnsr wrote:
    I was telling himits prob not the best thing to be doing after just moving in

Sounds like he's a bit clueless to me. The roof sounds ok though. BBQs by apartment dwellers are generally considered to be pretty antisocial and if there is a management company (which there probably is) they almost certainly will specifically bar residents from using BBQs.

Not the wisest move just after moving in though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think he was gona invite a few of the neighbours over.

This was just mentioned in passing the other day and it just got me intertested in seeing if he could actually get away with it

Advertisement