Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What will I get?

Options
  • 28-12-2006 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im getting a new car this january and I dont know what to get!

I currently drive a 98 celica and I am looking for something a bit sporty, quick, but comfortable at the same time.

I plan on spending between 14-17K on anything 99-2002. 2Litre or less for t&i reasons

Some things in mind are, golf gti, celica (newer shape), bmw 318ci etc

Anything i should know or consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How about a Mini Cooper S, cooper man? ;)

An early model should be around the upper end of your budget. Cracking car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

I was defo thinking it. Out of my budget though as far as i can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cooper_man wrote:
    Hey guys,

Im getting a new car this january and I dont know what to get!

I currently drive a 98 celica and I am looking for something a bit sporty, quick, but comfortable at the same time.

I plan on spending between 14-17K on anything 99-2002. 2Litre or less for t&i reasons

Some things in mind are, golf gti, celica (newer shape), bmw 318ci etc

Anything i should know or consider?

I would rule out the BMW 318ci, nice looking car but quick it ain't so unless you go for at least a 6 cylinder version their is no point imo.

If your looking at the Golf GTi then go for the 180bhp version as opposed to the standard 150bhp. Also look at the Skoda Octavia vRS which has the same 1.8T 180bhp or the Seat Leon Cupra or Cupra R.

Regarding the newer Celica again if going for one of these then get the VVTi-L version which has 190bhp. Never sold here offically but in a different league to the standard 140bhp version. Alot of Celica enthusiats claim the newer model is not as good as the older model though.

cooper_man wrote:
    I was defo thinking it. Out of my budget though as far as i can see!

I'm sure you could haggle this one down to within your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=536710

lol, it will be worth thinking of with the mini so! I have an 82 mini for sale at the moment!

The 180bhp gti, is that the 1.8turbo? Oh and if i go for a celica, defo be the vvtLi

• Advertisement

cooper_man wrote:
    lol, it will be worth thinking of with the mini so! I have an 82 mini for sale at the moment!

The 180bhp gti, is that the 1.8turbo? Oh and if i go for a celica, defo be the vvtLi

The MkIV Golf GTi was available in two versions, the standard 150bhp and later a higher tuned 180bhp version, both 1.8 litre turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't bother with the Mark IV Golf GTI - you'll be disappointed. Bazz's find proves that a Cooper S is available within your budget. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Should soon be starting to come within budget:

Integra_TypeR_2001_1_m.jpg

Read this and tell me you don't want one!
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road+test/driving+impression/939/2

JHMEG wrote:
    Should soon be starting to come within budget:

Integra_TypeR_2001_1_m.jpg

Read this and tell me you don't want one!
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road+test/driving+impression/939/2

The cheapest asking price for a 2001 DC5 I could find on carzone was around €19k but I'm guessing that was a 2006 price. Come next week and a bit of haggling and I'm sure the OP should be able to get one within his €17k budget.

i still think i would go for the celica, purely for aesthetic reasons! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

just looking at this and i really like the Mini cooper S but what do people think is this a girls kinda car, personally i dont think it is but i have heard people make that comment. I was thinking of getting a TT do people think thats a girly car too, i'd love one but dont want to get stuck with the old 'hairdressers car' label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

cooper_man wrote:
    i still think i would go for the celica, purely for aesthetic reasons! lol

IMHO the DC5 ITR is a great looking car, and has the edge on the Celica in terms of asthetics. Add to that that's it's considered to be the greatest handling FWD car ever made, and... well, you can't lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

hyundai coupe v6?
    cooper_man wrote:
    2Litre or less for t&i reasons

2.7 V6?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

sorry missed that bit lol. theres a 2L version too. and the 1.6 16v.
    Im driving a 02 1.6 at the moment as my own car is sick and its very comfortable. not too bad on juice either. has a nice bit of power for a 1.6.

Tony255 wrote:
    just looking at this and i really like the Mini cooper S but what do people think is this a girls kinda car, personally i dont think it is but i have heard people make that comment. I was thinking of getting a TT do people think thats a girly car too, i'd love one but dont want to get stuck with the old 'hairdressers car' label.

It really depends on whether you let what other people think of the car you drive bother you that much.

bazz26 wrote:
    It really depends on whether you let what other people think of the car you drive bother you that much.

Thats defo true. I would LOVE a tt and i am very keen on getting one as my car HOWEVER, i have heard awful reliability stories about them. Dodgy elecs etc costing a fortune to sort. Oh, and poor engine accesability is a problem too.

bazz26 wrote:

Thats defo true. I would LOVE a tt and i am very keen on getting one as my car HOWEVER, i have heard awful reliability stories about them. Dodgy elecs etc costing a fortune to sort. Oh, and poor engine accesability is a problem too.

Advertisement