Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone get this??

• 28-12-2006 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

i cannot get this joke!! its probably something really easy!!

"A biologist, a physicist, and a mathematician were sitting in a street café watching the crowd. Across the street they saw a man and a woman entering a building. Ten minutes later they reappeared together with a third person. “They have multiplied,” said the biologist. “Oh no, an error in measurement,” the physicist sighed. “If exactly one person enters the building now, it will be empty again,” the mathematician concluded."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's a joke based on the way different people observe the same things.

The biologist sees 2 enter and 3 leave, and so assumes they have bred whilst inside. The physicist, who sets his stall on measurements, assumes they have made an error in measurement. To the mathematician, everything is number and (mathematical) proof. He sees 2 enter and 3 leave, so he concludes there is minus 1 in the building...

Sorry for the long-winded explanation; it always spoils a good joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

yay, thanks for that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Who told you this wonderous joke, and why!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

yes, explain it, that'll make it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I got that joke without looking at the explanation.

Shoot me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, I'm sure everybody that would be in this forum is likewise, like totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

I remember a similar joke and luckily I found it through the magic of google so I don't have to try to retell it:

Three professors (a physicist, a chemist, and a statistician) are at a
    meeting when a fire breaks out in a wastebasket.

The physicist says, "I know what to do! We must cool down the materials
    until their temperature is lower than their ignition temperature and then
    the fire will go out."

The chemist says, "No! No! I know what to do! We must cut off the
    supply of oxygen so that the fire will go out due to lack of one of the
    reactants."

As the physicist and the chemist debate what to do, the statistician
    actually does something.

He runs around the room lighting more fires.

The physicist and the chemist scream "What are you doing?"

The statistician replies, "We're going to need a larger sample size."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

they are just brilliant,

surely someone has some more to share with us,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Don't fear, there are more of them:

A scientist, an engineer and a mathematician are on a train to Cork. As they pull into Cork the scientist spies a black sheep.

"Oh look, all the sheep in Cork are black" exclaims the scientist.

"Don't be so rash, we can only say that one sheep in Cork is black" scoffs the engineer.

"No, no", says the Mathematican "All we can say is that in Cork there exists at least one field, and in it there is at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black!"

A few variations:

The statistician : "It's not significant. We only know there's one black sheep"
    The computer scientist : "Oh, no! A special case!"

~~~~~~~~

Or a personal favourite of mine - does is prove I'm a complete nerd when as I read it all I can hear in my head is "differentiate! differentiate! differentiate!"

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are shown a pasture with a herd of sheep, and told to put them inside the smallest possible amount of fence.

The engineer is first. He herds the sheep into a circle and then puts the fence around them, declaring,

"A circle will use the least fence for a given area, so this is the best solution."

The physicist is next. He creates a circular fence of infinite radius around the sheep, and then draws the fence tight around the herd, declaring,

"This will give the smallest circular fence around the herd."

The mathematician is last. After giving the problem a little thought, he puts a small fence around himself and then declares,

"I define myself to be on the outside."

~~~~~~

What's the sound of a two drums and cymbal falling down a cliff?

Ba-Dum Chhhhhhh!

IT'S Maths related...I swear...

Advertisement