Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kai Big Band - "Projections"

Options
  • 28-12-2006 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

18 months ago, young Dublin saxophonist Nick Roth gathered together a 14-strong ensemble of his fellow musicians, including saxophones, brass, strings and rhythm section. This double CD is the end result of this ambitious project, a live recording of the band playing their members’ original jazz compositions.

The variety of different angles explored by the 8 composers makes for intriguing listening. Roth’s own piece ‘Innehølder’ is an adventure through different moods, opening with fluttering saxophones and a melancholy piano melody, slowly building into a brash groove and lively trombone solo. Guitarist Daniel Jacobson’s ‘The 10 Paramis’ explores electronic and instrumental textures, providing a thrilling performance which verges on orchestrated chaos.

This contrasts with the laid-back Brazilian vibes of Bill Blackmore’s ‘I Can’t Think’ or Matt Berrill’s dramatic, uplifting ‘Bad Baiking’. On Sean Carpio’s ‘Platform’, the roles are reversed, with the focus on the drums, backed by layered melodies.

The Kai Big Band’s music can be demanding to listen to, and it is a credit to this group of young musicians to hear complex contemporary music this pleasing and dynamic.

Many of them have played together in different projects and this shared experience brings a great cooperation and understanding between the members. The written parts are tightly played throughout and the players support each other, leaving soloists comfortably free to explore.

The result is a fascinating album of modern music, and certainly one of the most important releases in many years for Irish jazz.

This album is available at www.daniel-jacobson.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Awesome band/group of musicians. I was in Nicks house once watching him compose some stuff. He knows his stuff. Amazing sax player, even my wife whose not into Jazz really enjoyed the gigs i dragged her along to, really energetic. I would recommend this stuff to anyone not just hardened jazzers, it is difficult in parts but it's rewarding also. i hope it does well.

Advertisement