Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statoil Ushers Quay - Crazy Expensive Petrol

Options
  • 28-12-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

135.9 a litre !

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ouch. Is that for real?

Do your bit.

http://www.irishfuelprices.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I live close by and it's been that price for at least 4 months now.

I got petrol for 99c yesterday in Apple Green...Statoil is just extortionate.
    /me is bored in work and is going to email statoil to ask them to justify the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

A taxi driver told me that the 'reason' for the Usher's quay crazy prices is that it's the first petrol station that all those big trucks hit after coming from the port. Maybe the Port Tunnel will lead to a softening of the prices on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a bit ouchy alright. I suppose though, that it's one of few petrol stations left in the city, and they have people in a tight place.

The Usher's Quay petrol station also accepts the motorcard, so you could get yourself one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Jesus that fairly high alright..Say it be sold soon though..Very high-Valued land...Bring on the Apartments god knows we need some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's very expensive, but not a rip-off.

There is no other petrol station so central in Dublin, so it's that or nothing. That rumour about the trucks is nonsense. There really is no room for artics coming from the port to even fit on the forecourt.

I think I remember hearing that it was sold a while back, so I assume they are not too concerned with retaining customers....just the desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

That's extortion do the cashiers wear balaclavas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

cast_iron wrote:
    It's very expensive, but not a rip-off.

How do you define a rip-off then?
    :rolleyes:

Well I would take the view that you can only be ripped off if you buy it. And you would only buy it if you were desperate (as no one is forcing you in there).
    So, even if it was 2 euro a litre, if it got you out of a desperate fix (which you would have to be in to actually buy it there), then it was actually good value.
    eamon234 wrote:
    That's extortion do the cashiers wear balaclavas?
    Nonsense - no one is forcing you at gunpoint to buy it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But they are hardly playing fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Someone's obviously buying it, and no one is holding a gun to their head. I'd sooner run out of petrol before buying it 30 cent over the odds per litre!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

MarkR wrote:
    Someone's obviously buying it, and no one is holding a gun to their head. I'd sooner run out of petrol before buying it 30 cent over the odds per litre!

I wouldn't. What would stop you from buying a couple of litres and then driving to a cheaper station?

I think it's way too expensive and I wouldn't buy from them but if it's working for them and they're making money then fine. We have competition here. People can't just charge what they want, they can just charge what people will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

They will charge that price and get away with it because some motorists, inc. my dad, buy a tenners worth at each visit and do not pay attention to the price per litre.

MarkR wrote:
    I'd sooner run out of petrol before buying it 30 cent over the odds per litre!
    You do that....and let us know how much bother you go to to get refilled.

All you need is a couple of euros to get to the nearest station out past Heuston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gixer

Maxol mace Trinity Street Wexford Town

Maxol Mace convenience store in Trinity Street Wexford town has the most expensive soft drinks and chocolate bars in wexford! Hers some of the rip off price examples, a bottle of PowerAde a whooping €2.50c!!! Lucozade Energizer drink a whooping €2.25c!!! Can of coke €1.5c A little fry’s Turkish delight bar a whooping €95c!!! Most bars of chocolate in this rip off store range form 90-95cent each! Which are the bones of a euro!

These soft drink and chocolate bar prices are disgraceful and an out and out rip off, the only reason for charging prices like this is down right greed. It is not just soft drinks a chocolate it is almost everything thing in this rip off store is overpriced.
    The greedy rip merchants know there is no law in this country to protect consumers so they know they can get away with ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Caveat Emptor. If you don't like the prices, don't shop there. It's not like there's only one shop in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm assuming for anywhere to charge a certain price, it needs to be selling at a worthwhile rate. Some customers aren't price sensitive (and good luck to them) and so keep these places in business. For the cost conscious among us, shop where you find value. And if you run out of petrol on the quays, be better prepared the next time. It may be the only place in the city centre to get petrol but how much petrol would it use to get from Clonskeagh / Coolock wherever to Aston Quay. Not that much.

At least that Statoil provides a useful service - city centre petrol - and it fulfils that minimum requirement faithfully. For rip-off, see BT. There isn't a lot of choice in the broadband market and with BT, you don't even get what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cast_iron wrote:
    There is no other petrol station so central in Dublin, so it's that or nothing.

there's an emo station just off james' street, as your heading pass that statoil turn up to the left and then down james' street.

unleaded and diesel for 99.9c.

it's two minutes away from ushers quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the idiot's economy. Some of us can have our cake and eat it using the Statoil fuel card. City centre petrol at 96.9c :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump!

An article in todays Sunday Business Post shows that Topaz who have the franchises for Statoil and Shell here are considering not renewing thier contract with Ushers Quay station.

The owner of Topaz says if you need fuel buy two litres are find somewhere else!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Rip-off Ireland is created by consumers, not retailers. People in Ireland dont shop around enough so there is little reward for those who lower their prices. If you are not happy with the prices somewhere, go somewhere else. Simple.

Advertisement