Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

HD vs DVD [LOTR sample]

• 28-12-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

The following site focuses on HD and DVD resolutions and what the difference looks like to compare against.
    http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

Remember to hover your mouse pointer over each image to see the difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Very nice! I only watched Fellowship a few days ago on my 42" Hitachi plasma and it looked superb - when HD becomes the norm I'll upgrade, not yet though the definition is fantastic going by those screenshots. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yeah it looks good.

I havent seen a HD-DVD rom on sale yet except the Xbox one.

Any one seen any HD movies on sale in the shops? How much do they cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

wow, thats deadly well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kearnsr wrote:
    Any one seen any HD movies on sale in the shops? How much do they cost?

not in the shops but Blueray will be priced not too high according to the various websites

£17 approx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

HMV are selling blu-ray, and hd-dvd movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Already, whats the RRP on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

"Now, the DVD transfer is among the best you can find on DVD, so this really is comparing the respective creams of the crops."

I think not! Yes the difference is quite a jump but the "before" picture looks closer to VHS than standard DVD. I'll wait and do an A-B test at some stage, that site might be dramatic but I seriously doubt it's accuracy.
    My own standard DVD setup would easily match the HD screen shots shown there (again using LOTRs as it's a movie I'm very familar with).

He did say he had to use jpeg as bmp was too big for a website

Spanky-s wrote:
    He did say he had to use jpeg as bmp was too big for a website
    He did.... but that imho renders the whole excercise pointless.

I'm not too sure. It does demonstrate the difference in quality taken from the two sources and used together, does it not?

• Advertisement

Spanky-s wrote:
    I'm not too sure. It does demonstrate the difference in quality taken from the two sources and used together, does it not?

I don't think so. The first pic is of lower quality than standard DVD, why go any further? If you can't recreate standard DVD on a website what hope have you with HD?
    I think it demonstrates that the guy, depite being unable to recreate the levels of quality, was determined to go ahead with his little project anyway.
    The entire premise of the project is flawed... does he know what kind of monitor we're using (laptop/CRT/LCD etc) or the resolution of that monitor? No... but still we're all supposed to take the comparisions as gospel. All the site does is show us, in a nifty way, the difference between a very poor quality pic and a decent quality one. I can't say with any certainty that the second pic represents HD (although I'd be disapointed if it did) but I know the first pic is far less quality than DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Excellent, if you flick the mouse pointer on and off shot 3 you can make the crowd clap in appreciation too! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

this has been around for a long time, hd content will look alot better than dvd because of the greater resolution but when hd is scaled down to dvd res I agree with slaphead there won't be this much differance. the dvd captures do not look up to scratch. One reason for this could be a an ntsc dvd an lower resolution than the pal were used too but still they look too blurry

I took a few captures (gladiator dont have lotr) from a dvd playback card on my pc and I think they look much sharper when resized from 720x576 to the same size as the lotr screen shots, i'd say the way the lotr screen shots were captured wasn't as good as it could have been, or maybe lotr is bad quality dvd

image015.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image007.jpg

image013.jpg

eolhc wrote:
    ...... or maybe lotr is bad quality dvd
    No it's very good.... to the eye anyway. Certainly better than those pics would imply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Slaphead07 wrote:
    No it's very good.... to the eye anyway. Certainly better than those pics would imply.

i'd say the ntsc version would have to be a bit worse than the pal version but yep would not look as bad as the pics

eolhc wrote:
    i'd say the ntsc version would have to be a bit worse than the pal version but yep would not look as bad as the pics
    It just occured to me that my copy of "Fellowship of the Ring" (Extended) is R1 and it looks fine. A lot of my DVDs are R1 in fact. Despite the maths I've never noticed an drop in picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

WOW! That webpage has revised my thoughts on how good HD actually is!

Advertisement