Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mildest Winter on record?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

does anyone know if its true or not that we have more chance of snow in March than in December based on records?

I have data for snow falling since 1999.
    Dublin AP Casement
    Dec 1999 4 2
    2000 5 5
    2001 0 1
    2002 0 0
    2003 0 1
    2004 2 1
    2005 0 0
    2006 0 0
    The only days of snow lying at 9am was 3 each in 2000

Dublin AP Casement
    Mar 2000 0 0
    2001 4 3
    2002 2 1
    2003 0 0
    2004 0 1
    2005 1 2
    2006 4 4
    The only days of snow lying at 9am was 3 at Casement and 2 at Dublin AP in 2001 (following the lying snow in Dec 2000)

Format didn't hold :(

Nah. winter for me anyway begins on December 1st.. the reason being is because March aint winter, the sun gets higher in the sky and days cannot be too cold or snowy because when the sun rises the snows melt..
    Only once in my entire lifetime do I remember a cold snap Easterly,a proper one that delivered ice days/days around 0 or +1c in Early december.
    It was short lived with only coastal snow flurries.
    That was cold enough for dry snow and was before you were born.
    Most of the decent snow I've seen in Ireland in my lifetime has been in january or february-though we did have 8 inches of very dry snow once in march.

Even the Xmas snowy spells that we've had since you were posting here WC were wet slushy marginal events on the whole.

Winter for me or the potential for wintry weather begins in earnest in late december and ends in early march,though it is possible for extreme set ups to deliver winter before and after that time frame.
    It is rarer than hens teeth though.
    Mind you snow in Ireland,lying snow greater than 2 or 3 inches unless you are on high ground is rarer than hens teeth these days.

Leaving aside global warming and all to that,the law of averages and the fact that nature usually in my experience levels out weather,I wouldnt be surprised if eventually we did again get a January 1982.

My Father lived through the 3 great spells,1947,1963 and 1982 as well as the spells of the 80's.
    So I suppose if you ignore all other facts,then statistically you should see a few big snows in Ireland over the course of a life time...

Ireland was colder than Saltzburg last night-at least I was at 11pm,they were +9c and I was +7c :D

When theres nothing to the East in January,it's a pretty poor look out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Stoked, maybe i dont have to move back home, ill just chill here until it warms up :D. It has seemed really warm this winter, hardly needed a jacket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next week looks like it cud even be milder than this week on some days, 13C/14C might happen in one or 2 places. Im sure there have been a few cold rainy days in July/August where the temperatures have not been too different from that and this is January!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm not sure mild is the right word to use with this Metcheck glitch (spot the deliberate mistake :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm not sure mild is the right word to use with this Metcheck glitch (spot the deliberate mistake :) )

Bloody hell, now that IS a mild winter :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

they have 36C down for next Wednesday in Dublin? lol wish it was true...

Its not a glitch now that I look at it again, in fact Dublin probably WILL get them temperatures!! :eek: :eek:

Because its not Metcheck 'UK and Ireland'

...and its not even Dublin Ireland................its Metcheck 'Australia' and Dublin in Australia :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Took you an hour to spot that Croppy,hope you didnt tell anyone else:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:)

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Took you an hour to spot that Croppy,hope you didnt tell anyone else:D

Hey I'm a smart person, I notice things............;)

This very day in 1839 we had lots of snow in Ireland, lucky beggars you might think :mad:.............but then the night of the 6th of Jan they had a severe windstorm! :eek:, so I guess we're not too bad, weather extremes were happening even back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Big_Wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Is this mild winter any reflection on the coming summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Is this mild winter any reflection on the coming summer?
    It's impossible to predict really especially after this winter(so far;) ) has seen nearly every longe forecast to be completely wrong. Although judging bby recent years i'd say it's a fair bet to say that it will be hot:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

um i've been absolutely freezing when i've been out tbh

more so than any other year

Garret wrote:
    um i've been absolutely freezing when i've been out tbh

more so than any other year

Nah, its only cold early morning and late at nite, during the day its been grand. Hardly needed a jacket and this is in Newry which is supposed to be colder than Navan? Was a bit disappointed tbh, my mate was down from SA and i wanted to show him some real cold.

Temperatures are only an indicator of how warm it is - the wind and humidity here make it colder sometimes at 8C in my opinion than say 2C on a clear sunny frosty morning.

In Tenerife there is very little to no snow on Mt Teide this winter. In New York it was 21 C (yes Celsius) the other day - did anyone hear about that! Snow has been late coming to them this year the latest in a long time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Winter arrives next weekend with a Northwesterly and a risk of snow showers.

darkman2 wrote:
    Winter arrives next weekend with a Northwesterly and a risk of snow showers.

Didn't they say that last week ;), and the week before that actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Didn't they say that last week ;), and the week before that actually.
    Yes, but this time it looks like it will actually happen with the risk of it being more prolonged:D ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Gone off topic lads

Post on your snow forecasts [thread=2055034256]here[/thread] so everybody can find it.

I heard on Sky News that this the warth of this winter is meant to continue into the summer with a possiblity that this summer could be the hotest in 150 years (England and Wales)

Advertisement